Notification Tool : Why Gotye didn't perform at the GRAMMYs?
Follow what's new with:
Why Gotye didn't perform at the GRAMMYs?
Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Feb 23rd 2013, 16:34

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTonyKuKo
Hi TonyKuKo,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

TonyKuKo

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 345
View Predictions
I know its off topic by now and it was probably already discussed but I didnt notice so I wanna know why Gotye didn't perform at the GRAMMYs? Wasn't he invited to? He simply rejected to?
Visit and follow my blog: thegramophonereporter.wordpress.com/
Feb 23rd 2013, 20:01

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinerestless&wild
Hi restless&wild,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

restless&wild

Total Topics: 4, Posts: 309
View Predictions
From HDD, a question and answer session with the producer of the Grammys:

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news09287 

How come Gotye didn’t perform?
We thought about him and talked about it. Honestly, I think it’s a great song and a great video. It was hard to come up with an idea to present it. It’s a great song, but it’s not necessarily a great performance. At the end of the day, any performance that gets on the Grammys has to knock somebody else off. What would you have not wanted to see on Sunday night in favor of Gotye? In the end, it’s a consensus decision. I love the song. I’m just not sure a performance of it on the Grammys would’ve served it well. 

"Music is powerful, it's a drug that makes your inhibitions go away and leaves your vulnerabilities exposed" - KC

Feb 23rd 2013, 20:26

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

Total Topics: 133, Posts: 9,294
View Predictions
It was pretty glaring and embarassing not having Gotye perform, and even more so being the eventual ROTY winner. His performance could have been as interesting as anything they put on, and more relevant than the non-nominees they paraded throughout the telecast.

Feb 23rd 2013, 20:34

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMax 2.0
Hi Max 2.0,

Max 2.0

Total Topics: 6, Posts: 2,340
View Predictions
That's one secret I'll never tell. XOXO. Max2.0
"I don't need to be on top to know I'm worth it, because I'm strong enough to know the truth. I just want it to be hot, because I'm best when I'm in love, and I'm in love with you."
Feb 23rd 2013, 20:50

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBamaEd
Hi BamaEd,

BamaEd

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 878
View Predictions
Quote by restless&wild

We thought about him and talked about it. Honestly, I think it’s a great song and a great video. It was hard to come up with an idea to present it. It’s a great song, but it’s not necessarily a great performance. At the end of the day, any performance that gets on the Grammys has to knock somebody else off. What would you have not wanted to see on Sunday night in favor of Gotye? In the end, it’s a consensus decision. I love the song. I’m just not sure a performance of it on the Grammys would’ve served it well. 

Wow, what a very insulting answer by the producer of the Grammys. There are no words to fully capture how wrong that answer was.
My life goal? To live in Stars Hollow, eat breakfast at Luke's, have pot roast at Friday Night Dinner with Richard & Emily.
Feb 23rd 2013, 23:51

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGraeme O'Neil
Hi Graeme O'Neil,

Graeme O'Neil

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 2,320
View Predictions
Here's one thing that I've started to think about...do the Grammys needs to rethink their cutoff deadline for no other reason than the fact that it cuts off all the 4th quarter performers that release albums and subquently want to promote their latest singles? The Grammys should be performances that were nominated or that were relevant in the past year, but since their cutoff is Sept 30, you have to reach so far back. So we had performers like Justin Timberlake singing "Suit And Tie", Rihanna singing "Stay", Maroon 5 singing "Daylight", fun. singing "Carry On", and I'm pretty sure Alicia's "Girl On Fire" isn't eligible til next year either.
So I get the idea that Gotye's "Somebody That I Used To Know" feels like yesterday's news in terms of having it be performed because it was popular SOOO long ago. It was popular smack dab in the middle of Grammy eligibility, but time-wise in terms of the show it was forever ago.
Why does the Grammys have an almost 4 month window between the cutoff and the ceremony anyways? It doesn't make sense.

So I don't necessarily disagree with them saying no to a Gotye performance because for television purposes, that song is no longer relevant, nor is Gotye relevant anymore. Fun. had a huge hit after "We Are Young" and even they didn't perform either one of their big hits. They went with something new because both singles would have felt ancient to perform at this time. Same feeling would have happened with Gotye. 
www.graemeoneil.com
Reviews, opinions, latest music videos! Check it out, and follow me on Facebook and Twitter for exclusive giveaways! 
Feb 24th 2013, 00:16

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineemmyfan
Hi emmyfan,

emmyfan

Total Topics: 26, Posts: 1,116
View Predictions
What a crappy reason to not have an artist wit with 3 nominations including Record of the Year.  

It would have been interesting to have Gotye perform this song.  I prefer to hear a nominated song performed (like they used to do in the 80s and 90s) as opposed to non-nominated artists performing mediocre songs.   The American Music Awards used to be the place for artists performing current songs.

Someone should barge into one of the Grammy meetings and demand that they add more categories to be presented and to require that Record of the Year nominees be allowed to perform.   
Feb 24th 2013, 04:40

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineoutsider
Hi outsider,

Total Topics: 29, Posts: 1,731
View Predictions
Quote by restless&wild

Translation: Gotye's agents/ publicists/ record company weren't powerful enough to get him a spot and he's not a big star, so we can snub him with no consequences.

But I understand. We needed to hear the awful "Suit & Tie" and the juvenile "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" and Alicia Keys needed to perform the boring "Girl On Fire". That song just hasn't been performed enough on television these past few months.

At least "Somebody That I Used to Know" won the Grammys it deserved.
Feb 24th 2013, 08:51

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinem.A.A.d
Hi m.A.A.d ,

m.A.A.d

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 1,928
View Predictions

They just blatantly said that the song wasn't interesting enough to perform live. Wow! Funny to say that after the song won big.

It doesn't matter how old a song is. It's a major nominee and could have been done along with another Gotye song like "Eyes Wide Open."

Feb 24th 2013, 19:00

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTonyKuKo
Hi TonyKuKo,

TonyKuKo

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 345
View Predictions
Wow... I got it now... Thanks guys

And for those saying that it was an old song... Remember last year Adele performed "Rolling in the Deep" which was released in late 2010 and by the time Adele performed it her latest single Set Fire to the Rain was No. 1 at Billboard... Plus a song could give a higher impact if it hasn't been performed for a while... So it didn't really matter... They just didn't want him to perform
Visit and follow my blog: thegramophonereporter.wordpress.com/
Feb 25th 2013, 06:05

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinePieman1994
Hi Pieman1994,

Pieman1994

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 1,400
View Predictions
Ah... The ass-hattery. 

I really don't like "Somebody That I Used to Know," but it isn't because it's a bad performance. Far from it. Gotye's work is incredible. A lot of females don't have the range he does, which is damn impressive. But whatever. Have Maroon 5 play their shitty songs from their subpar album, and let Justin Timberlake eat up a good portion of the show promoting an irrelevant song that isn't close to his best. Gotye shoved it back into that ignorant producer's face by being one of the bigger winners of the evening.  
Here's my signature... just so I have it. That way, I have it. I promise. It's just to have it.
Feb 25th 2013, 07:35

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBenitoDelicias
Hi BenitoDelicias,

BenitoDelicias

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 2,261
View Predictions
What would they have left out in favor of Gotye?

Mmmm I don't know...maybe freaking Alicia Keys still trying to make Girl on Fire happen? That's your first easy choice right there....and to top it off: In a duet/medley with Maroon 5 who didn't need to perform yet another song from their awful album? Maybe Bruno Mars with the NOT super Marley Tribute worthy Locked out of Heaven? Maybe Carrie Underwood? Taylor Swift not only opening the show but STILL performing that song?
Feb 25th 2013, 09:54

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTWC
Hi TWC,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 422
View Predictions
Although I agree with the producer of the Grammys in that the song is terrible and would make a shitty performance, I also can't help but question the reasoning for including other acts who's music was equally as bad. Gotye could have peformed another song, or been invitied to be a part of one of the tributes, or even performed with Sting. 
Feb 28th 2013, 08:49

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGucci
Hi Gucci,

Gucci

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 10,143
View Predictions
They could have let Gotye perform instead of the overrated Justin Timberlake.  Being Sick 
Mar 7th 2013, 11:56

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineDjoko
Hi Djoko,

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 306
View Predictions
The producer should be fired just for that idiotic answer. Pitiful.