Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Oct 10th 2013, 07:36
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTye-Grr
Hi Tye-Grr,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Tye-Grr

Total Topics: 37, Posts: 4,483
View Predictions
^That review sounded more like he was finding reasons to like the movie, rather than he actually liked it. He also feels iffy on most of the actors chances for nominations. His biggest rave was for Louis C.K. He felt Adams character has a poorly handled arc in the home stretch, he says he doesn't think Bale has a chance, Renner was solid but nothing special, Cooper was good and has some strong scenes near the end and could make it in, and Lawrence was too young and occasionally gets carried away with the Jersey accent. Hmm.... Granted, this is all taken with a grain of salt. I'll be seeing it for myself in December. It's interesting to think what if Louis C.K is the scene stealer here... I'd be happy if he became an Oscar contender (plus he'll have some good will for 'Blue Jasmine').
Oct 10th 2013, 08:19
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineS†ardust
Hi S†ardust,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

S†ardust

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,335
View Predictions
I don't think it's a problem if Lawrence's age + familial situation is referenced in some form, and hopefully it is.
There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it
Oct 10th 2013, 08:35
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTye-Grr
Hi Tye-Grr,

Tye-Grr

Total Topics: 37, Posts: 4,483
View Predictions
Quote by Stardust
I don't think it's a problem if Lawrence's age + familial situation is referenced in some form, and hopefully it is.

If that above review stands true, then they don't reference it.  
Oct 10th 2013, 09:01
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLadyHathor
Hi LadyHathor,

LadyHathor

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 356
View Predictions
Juding by the trailers and advanced word it appears the story is more about the con artist and his relationship with the FBI agent.  Seems a little counter the current zeitgeist, perhaps unfortunately.  A movie where the audience got to root for the FBI to take down corrupt congressmen probably would have been a bit cathartic right now.  Instead, that review mentions that the film goes soft on the politicians, even perhaps making it seem like they didn't do anything wrong.  Alas.
Oct 10th 2013, 09:31
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinebabypook
Hi babypook,

babypook

Total Topics: 95, Posts: 10,237
View Predictions
Quote by LadyHathor
Juding by the trailers and advanced word it appears the story is more about the con artist and his relationship with the FBI agent.  Seems a little counter the current zeitgeist, perhaps unfortunately.  A movie where the audience got to root for the FBI to take down corrupt congressmen probably would have been a bit cathartic right now.  Instead, that review mentions that the film goes soft on the politicians, even perhaps making it seem like they didn't do anything wrong.  Alas.

Lol LadyH. Who would believe it?

The Sunne in Splendour; I prefer my Roses White

Oct 10th 2013, 10:58
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLadyHathor
Hi LadyHathor,

LadyHathor

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 356
View Predictions
LOL, I know. At this point, I wouldn't have minded if he had made the politicians look WORSE.  Honestly, I hadn't paid too much attention to this film before this week. Based on the photos and promos, I don't think I realized it was supposed to be about the Abscam case. I think I just figured this out last week. And, based on current events, I thought it might be fun to watch some slimy politicians get taken down.  Sadly, it appears that isn't what the director is going for. 

Ah well. It's just a different kind of movie.  Hopefully it's good.
Oct 10th 2013, 12:49
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineTyjet
Hi Tyjet,

Tyjet

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 287
View Predictions
Second trailer was meh. Struggling to understand how Adams' "reviews" have been so muted so far. She looks to have a really, really great part in both trailers so far. Cooper's part also looks to be really great. Bale, I was sold on after the first trailer. Less so now. 

RE: Lawrence's age: That'll only be a problem if her character is supposed to be 25+. Someone her age - 25 can have children that old. My sister isn't even 25 and she has two(!!) kids, one of whom is about the same age as the kid in the trailer. If that's so unbelievable for you then you live under a rock. 
Acting Winners '13
Oct 10th 2013, 13:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineSandberg
Hi Sandberg,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 21
View Predictions
The underrated star of SLP was the Musical Score. Danny Elfman was incredible, and the inclusion of The White Stripes and the Alabama Shakes was spot on. I wonder who the composer is on American Hustle? I know Zeppelin is included.
Oct 10th 2013, 14:03
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineSandberg
Hi Sandberg,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 21
View Predictions
I also will give Lawrence the benefit of the doubt with the age issue on Hustle, until I see the film. At first SLP did not appeal to me, since I read the book first, but she won me over.
Oct 10th 2013, 16:15
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinefilmsy
Hi filmsy,

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 17
View Predictions
Am I the only one not seeing the problem with Lawrence's age?  She's playing someone in her mid-twenties and that child looks at most 5. I just don't see the whole "she looks too young thing" and I didn't even think about it until someone pointed it out. What really has me confused is the whole talk about Lawrence outshining Adams (from the test screenings) since it looks to be the other way around from the trailer.

PS: There's going to be another test screening tonight so more leaked reviews should be available tomorrow. 
Oct 10th 2013, 18:24
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineCAROL-CHANNING
Hi CAROL-CHANNING,

CAROL-CHANNING

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 963
View Predictions
I really don't think this movie will be anything big come January.  It might sneak into Best Picture if it's good, but I don't think it'll be a serious contender for anything.  It just doesn't look like something we haven't already seen before.  Of course though, it would be nice to be wrong.

And regarding Lawrence's age, I do think she comes across as too young.  Of course, a girl her age could be a mother to a six year old, but the by the way she is acting, styled, and seemingly directed, it's obvious they want her to seem older.  Although her timing in that scene in the new trailer displays her maturity and skill as an actress, why does O'Russell insist on making her play roles that are such a stretch for her age?   

Oct 10th 2013, 19:13
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,495
View Predictions
Until we get a rave, I have this as a tentative filler BP nominee at best. Maybe a screenplay and costumes nom as well. I don't believe any of the actors stand a chance based on trailers (which yes, are misleading, but until reviews come out, it's all we have to judge and fall back on). This feels like not only like Ocean's 11, but Charlie Wilson's War. Remember how many thought that film had a shot at being a contender? And in the end it was too lightweight. 
Oct 10th 2013, 19:54
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinedelerian
Hi delerian,

delerian

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 560
View Predictions
The AICN review was a rave, and the tumblr one was strong. I don't see anything discounting it yet.
Oct 10th 2013, 19:57
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,495
View Predictions
Ain't It Cool News never counts as real reviews for me though.

I don't see anything discounting, but I see nothing counting it either.
Oct 10th 2013, 22:46
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAviChristiaans
Hi AviChristiaans,

AviChristiaans

Total Topics: 15, Posts: 857
View Predictions
Nope. They can't do that to me.
They (especially critics) hyped this interesting and possibly epic film to such an extend that i would skip a church service to go watch it!
I would forego breathing for an hour and a half if i could, just so i could see it.

David O Russel is not my favorite director, but i do LOVE his films. So i refuse to believe this film will be a total let down and the most overhyped film of the 21st century.

You can't follow up the epic Silver Linings Playbook with a doozy, or an "almost there" film, or an "its good but not great"......

I won't have it! None of IT!

“Every great film should seem new every time you see it."
Roger Ebert”
Roger Ebert