Email

Advertisement

Jul 9th 2013, 20:32

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetaloson
Hi taloson,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

taloson

Total Topics: 9, Posts: 394
View Predictions
I happened to see Allison Janney on The Talk yesterday and she mentioned her Emmy speech in 2004 as one of the most awkward/embarassing moments in her life, the one where she randomly called Mariska Hargitay up to the stage to "stand with her."

What are some other speeches and moments from the Emmys you've found hilariously awkward?

Personally, I've always loved Sally Field's speech in 2007 where she rambled on about mothers and war and managed to get herself censored by Fox. 

http://filmiest.blogspot.com

Movie Reviews, TV Reviews, and Awards Coverage 
Jul 10th 2013, 06:02

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetonorlo
Hi tonorlo,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,548
View Predictions
As far as awkward/uncomfortable, Kevin Costner's speech for his Emmy win last year for Lead Actor in a Miniseries/Movie comes immediately to mind.

As far as awkward/sorta-funny, I remember that in 2001, when Martin Sheen announced the absent Judy Davis as the winner for Lead Actress in a Miniseries/Movie, Steve Martin jumped up onstage and "accepted" the Emmy, noting that he had lost in his own category (Martin had been nominated for Individual Performance for hosting the 2000 Oscars, and lost to Barbra Streisand).
Jul 10th 2013, 06:30

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAtypical
Hi Atypical,

Atypical

Total Topics: 128, Posts: 9,031
View Predictions
Allison Janney calling up the other nominees to the stage post-fourth Emmy win (with Mariska Hargitay accepting the invitation for whatever reason) has to rank up there with one of the most cringeworthy Emmy moments I've EVER seen. But then, I thought Kevin Costner's Emmy acceptance speech was fine. He was having a nostalgic moment that went on for too long and became too maudlin near the end, but I appreciated it at least, and his win is a favorite of mine.

Two impressively awkward wins that come to mind are these. First was James Spader's last win for "Boston Legal" over James Gandolfini in "The Sopranos" on his final acting nomination (sigh). That was the year of Fox's awful "in the round" Emmys. Even Spader commented on the inexplicable nature of this win (something like he felt like he'd stolen money from the mafia). The other one was Jim Parsons's second Emmy win for "The Big Bang Theory" over Steve Carell's last nomination for "The Office." He said that other people had convinced him that he had no shot at a win that year, and I think even he knew that the Emmy should have been Carell's.

Jul 10th 2013, 06:43

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinerrussaw
Hi rrussaw,

rrussaw

Total Topics: 13, Posts: 199
View Predictions
All of those are cringeworthy examples.   I think Gandolfini's loss in 2007 and Carell's loss for his last year ranked as personal and awkward wins because many felt that both of those were examples when many felt Gandolfini and Carell submitted the best tapes.   I think Holland Taylor's win in 1999 was cringeworthy to an extent, only because so many people were expecting Nancy Marchand to win, although Taylor's submitted episodes were pretty much on par with Marchand's from a professional perspective.
Jul 10th 2013, 06:50

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBenitoDelicias
Hi BenitoDelicias,

BenitoDelicias

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 2,236
View Predictions
Janney was awful during that speech, but even more ridiculous was Mariska Hargitay for actually going up. It's one thing for Ving Rhames to give the actual statue (Globe) to Jack Lemmon, or Amy Poehler's jokes that include the other nominees before the winner is announced...but to go up there and just stand there to what? Support Janney's win?

I don't think Marchand should've won Emmys for The Sopranos, so I'm fine with Taylor's win. But she did add to the moment when she yelled "Overnight!" and then had to explain in case somebody thought it was actually an overnight thing, after so many years in the business.
Jul 10th 2013, 09:35

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBamaEd
Hi BamaEd,

BamaEd

Total Topics: 11, Posts: 861
View Predictions
Patty Duke in 1970. I remember reading that some folks thought she was on drugs. Not sure if it was her mental illness or what. Here is that speech:

http://youtu.be/WcUYBKDADLE
My life goal? To live in Stars Hollow, eat breakfast at Luke's, have pot roast at Friday Night Dinner with Richard & Emily.
Jul 10th 2013, 09:56

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinectubuchanan
Hi ctubuchanan,

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 876
View Predictions
^Wow... an awkward moment that still finds a way to be kinda beautiful...
Jul 10th 2013, 10:06

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethesmartone
Hi thesmartone,

thesmartone

Total Topics: 172, Posts: 2,971
View Predictions
I have to put Kyra Sedgwick's win a couple years ago for The Closer...when she went on stage and kept bringing up that the mic was too low, then bent over to talk in it. That was uncomfortable and cringeworthy for me as a viewer. lol.

But I also have to put, and this happened at the Golden Globes, but when Elizabeth Taylor presented the award for Best Movie, and she was drunk and...well it was just a huge mess. Take a look:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGT-NUBNTZc
Jul 10th 2013, 10:20

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,369
View Predictions
I don't care that she was most likely drunk, what Allison Janney did was totally inappropriate and frankly, rude. It actually made me like her less, and I love her. I'm still not sure why she thought it was okay. I felt so embarrassed for Mariska Hargitay.

--

Jim Parsons' second win was really cringeworthy to watch. It seemed like he himself was embarrassed to have won, and it was awkward to watch. Seeing Steve Carell smile just made it even worse. Ugh. Just thinking about it makes me angry, lol. Also, Steve Carell's wife looked so disappointed, lol.
Jul 10th 2013, 10:24

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 117, Posts: 2,970
View Predictions
It would have funny if when Mariska won in 2006 over Janney, she called Janney upstage to embarass her.
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams
Jul 10th 2013, 10:42

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineSaraR
Hi SaraR,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,801
View Predictions
I wish I could have seen the audience member's reactions last year during Kimmel's In Memoriam segment.
Jul 10th 2013, 11:12

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinenahborghi
Hi nahborghi,

nahborghi

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 771
View Predictions
Wow, Mariska, why the hell did you go up there? It was embarassing enough for everyone without you going onstage.

Gandolfini's third win's speech is pretty awkward to me, where he thanks Betty Boop, Malibu Barbie and all. 
Jul 10th 2013, 11:21

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineThat Don Guy
Hi That Don Guy,

Total Topics: 8, Posts: 458
View Predictions
Quote by Mr. Taloson
Personally, I've always loved Sally Field's speech in 2007 where she rambled on about mothers and war and managed to get herself censored by Fox. 

There is still debate over whether Fox censored her for the message or because she said "goddamn".

I can think of two moments:

Betty Thomas's win in 1985, where Barry Breman accepted for her, claiming she wasn't there - and then, when he leaves, Thomas shows up on stage.

I don't know how awkward this one really was, but in 1986, when all of the nominees for Guest Actor in a Comedy Series were from The Cosby Show, they had Tempestt Bledsoe on stage to hand the winner the Emmy - I can only assume somebody did this as a "consolation prize" for the fact that Phylicia Rashad, Lisa Bonet, and Keisha Knight Pulliam were all nominated that year - and maybe it was just me, but she came across as not exactly wanting to be there.
Jul 10th 2013, 11:23

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethesmartone
Hi thesmartone,

thesmartone

Total Topics: 172, Posts: 2,971
View Predictions
I'm not mad at Mariska for going onstage with Allison. Janney would NOT SHUTUP about the whole thing, and I'm sure Mariska was embarrassed and just wanted Janney to shut the hell up and get to her speech. I would have went up on stage as well, just to make Janney shut up and for her to move along. It's not like she made the joke about giving the award to Hargitay then stopped, she kept going on and on about it.
Jul 10th 2013, 14:07

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGoMe91
Hi GoMe91,

GoMe91

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 1,127
View Predictions
The Jim Parsons moment was awkward because of Steve Carell's pathetic/sad puppy/half hearted reaction...not necessarily because of anything Jim Parsons did.

Charlie Sheen presenting that award in the first place was the most awkward of all. His "whatever you would call that"...

Made in America