Email

Advertisement

Jul 25th 2013, 09:50

Rating: 0/5
(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineRenaton
Hi Renaton,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Renaton

Total Topics: 17, Posts: 7,558
View Predictions
I can't understand saying Maggie Smith gives a better performance in Downton Abbey than Anna Gunn does in BB, especially "Fifty-One", just because she is Maggie Smith. But then again, I don't have this attachment to actors where I assume and convince myself they are superior to everyone else just because of who they are. But honestly, don't remember having watched a single single in Downton that demanded from Smith what Fifty-One demands from Gunn or where she delivered as much as Gunn in that episode.
If this wasn't Maggie Smith, but some other random british old lady performing at the same level, no one would be saying this, but unfortunately, there now exists a sense of obligation, especially among some of the posters that come to Goldderby, that certain actress will always be great no matter the material or the actual performance simply because of who they are. Maggie Smith was a great actress in other stuff, but she doesn't deserve to win for Downton. 
Jul 25th 2013, 09:51

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineVincelette
Hi Vincelette,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Vincelette

Total Topics: 43, Posts: 1,998
View Predictions
I'm not like most of you who say very awful and mean comments on someone's prediction or favourites. I'm not saying that it's foolish to predict Anna Gunn and she has a killer tape, true, but I can't see her winning over Dame Maggie. I do think she was much better than Gunn this year, not based on tapes, but based on the entire season, that's all. It's a personal opinion which everyone can have. 

www.facebook.com/pages/Shailene-Woodley-deserves-an-Oscar-nomination-for-The-Fault-in-Our-Stars/300816166787403

Jul 25th 2013, 09:57

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineprobablyROB
Hi probablyROB,

probablyROB

Total Topics: 3, Posts: 1,858
View Predictions
Who said anything mean or awful?
Jul 25th 2013, 10:04

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineThemeParks4Life
Hi ThemeParks4Life,

ThemeParks4Life

Total Topics: 22, Posts: 1,943
View Predictions
Anna Gunn is getting it this year, it really isn't a contest.
Jul 25th 2013, 10:09

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineunsunganthem
Hi unsunganthem,

unsunganthem

Total Topics: 7, Posts: 846
View Predictions
It's definitely a contest with Maggie Smith involved. But I agree, Gunn is the frontrunner and is most deserving. I hope she wins. In fact, I hope Breaking Bad sweeps all the major categories (I know, I know...it won't happen, but it's nice to dream).
"Anxiety, nightmares and a nervous breakdown, there's only so many traumas a person can withstand until they take to the streets and start screaming."
Jul 25th 2013, 10:11

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinemsnowden1
Hi msnowden1,

msnowden1

Total Topics: 117, Posts: 2,970
View Predictions
Yeah, don't be surprised if Maggie Smith wins again this year. As Emmy history tell us, The Academy is extremely lazy. They chose the same people and shows over and over again. But I agree that Gunn is the frontrunner and she really deserves the Emmy this year.
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong."- Robin Williams
Jul 25th 2013, 10:21

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineKT
Hi KT,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,653
View Predictions
Shouldn't it bother Emmy voters that Maggie Smith won't bother to show up to accept the award (for a third straight year)?  Enough is enough.  I want Anna to win this.  Her Gold Derby talk was great, she has invested so much thought into the Skyler character and given great performances from the first season.
Jul 25th 2013, 10:36

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineGabriel
Hi Gabriel,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 2,370
View Predictions
Agreed with the majority here. The Emmy has to go to Anna Gunn.
Jul 25th 2013, 11:48

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineKT
Hi KT,

Total Topics: 14, Posts: 1,653
View Predictions
The Drama Series Tapes are in for two of the top three contenders:

---Strongest Tapes, Acting frontrunners, Q&A--- ---Final Season Airing, Most writing noms, Yet to win---
HOMELAND BREAKING BAD (not yet announced)
A: The Smile, Beirut is Back A:
B: New Car Smell, Q&A B:
C: In Memoriam, The Choice C:

---Highest Ratings, Great Hype, Most Nominations---
GAME OF THRONES
A: And Now His Watch Is Ended, Kissed By Fire
B: The Bear and the Maiden Fair, Second Sons
C: The Rains of Castamere, Mhysa

I know some people expressed disappointment with Game of Thrones choosing Mhysa, and not putting forth Walk of Punishment or The Climb.  Is there a strategy for choosing these particular tapes?  Is placing the stronger episode (and each one actually being event driven) as the first episode on each tape something that series submissions have done in the past?  Just wondering, as I'm sure HBO knows what its doing and has advised the showrunners/producers.
Jul 25th 2013, 12:19

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMorgan_Henard
Hi Morgan_Henard,

Total Topics: 45, Posts: 1,381
Quote by Vincelette
I'm not like most of you who say very awful and mean comments on someone's prediction or favourites. I'm not saying that it's foolish to predict Anna Gunn and she has a killer tape, true, but I can't see her winning over Dame Maggie. I do think she was much better than Gunn this year, not based on tapes, but based on the entire season, that's all. It's a personal opinion which everyone can have. 

Who said you couldn't have that opinion? You're valid in many areas: Not considering Smith would be a mistake by every single one of us who watch submissions and try to analyze how the majority of Emmy voters will think. I mean, look at what happened last year. Christina Hendricks had the best submission while Joanne Froggatt had a good submission and was even boosted by Smith's yet, in the end, Smith still prevailed. If Smith doesn't win this year, she'll definitely be coming in second or third. She's quickly become another Bryan Cranston in that way. And I really was just curious where you coming from and you said so clearly: That Maggie Smith gave a better performance on season 3 of Downton Abbey than Anna Gunn did on season 5.1 of Breaking Bad. What's wrong with that? Nothing about any of that warrants a poster to be "very awful and mean" in my opinion. 

It's just like when Riley/TheDemonHog said he thought Cranston gave a better performance than Gunn in "Fifty-One." He's obviously a regular viewer of Breaking Bad and that was an interesting comment to make, one that hasn't been said that often, and basically my response to that, and yours, can be translated to, "Oh, that's an interesting comment. Why? Elaborate on it." Just like, I assume, you watched all of season three of Downton Abbey and season 5.1 of Breaking Bad, which is why it was interesting to read your comment that Smith had the better season than Gunn. That's why I was curious to see you expand on the topic. If you didn't watch either series, it would be totally different; I wouldn't care why you felt that way because it would be without merit. 

Hug 
Jul 25th 2013, 12:33

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineSaraR
Hi SaraR,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,801
View Predictions
Quote by rbttk1721
The Drama Series Tapes are in for two of the top three contenders:

---Strongest Tapes, Acting frontrunners, Q&A--- ---Final Season Airing, Most writing noms, Yet to win---
HOMELAND BREAKING BAD (not yet announced)
A: The Smile, Beirut is Back A:
B: New Car Smell, Q&A B:
C: In Memoriam, The Choice C:

---Highest Ratings, Great Hype, Most Nominations---
GAME OF THRONES
A: And Now His Watch Is Ended, Kissed By Fire
B: The Bear and the Maiden Fair, Second Sons
C: The Rains of Castamere, Mhysa

I know some people expressed disappointment with Game of Thrones choosing Mhysa, and not putting forth Walk of Punishment or The Climb.  Is there a strategy for choosing these particular tapes?  Is placing the stronger episode (and each one actually being event driven) as the first episode on each tape something that series submissions have done in the past?  Just wondering, as I'm sure HBO knows what its doing and has advised the showrunners/producers.

Another poster mentioned this in the Official Submission thread, but it looks like it's gotten lost in the JLD talk. Anyway, the poster mentioned that Homeland's tapes are all very self-contained, telling a complete storyline. I had not really thought about that, and at first I wasn't too keen on their pick of "In Memoriam" to go with "The Choice," but now that I think about it it's very smart.

I would not be surprised if Homeland took this again, though I still have Breaking Bad winning at this point.

I'm very eager to see what the Mad Men people pick. I know they don't have a shot in hell (for series), but we've not heard ANYTHING from their camp since nominations came out. I wonder what Jon Hamm will go with.
Jul 25th 2013, 13:19

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineLeon94
Hi Leon94,

Leon94

Total Topics: 12, Posts: 286
View Predictions
I know this is off topic. But does anyone think Farmiga will get a golden globe nod?
Leonard Robinson
Jul 25th 2013, 13:23

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethedemonhog
Hi thedemonhog,

thedemonhog

Total Topics: 34, Posts: 5,667
View Predictions
Yes.
Read my VIFF coverage of Foxcatcher, Maps to the Stars and Mommy.
Jul 25th 2013, 13:23

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMorgan_Henard
Hi Morgan_Henard,

Total Topics: 45, Posts: 1,381
Quote by LeonardRobinsonIV
I know this is off topic. But does anyone think Farmiga will get a golden globe nod?

I think she'll win.

2014 Golden Globes
Lead Actress in a Drama Series 
- Claire Danes, Homeland
- Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
- Keri Russell, The Americans
- Kerry Washington, Scandal 
- Robin Wright, House of Cards

Next in line:
- Diane Krueger, The Bridge
- Tatiana Maslany, Orphan Black

Long shot:
- Connie Britton, Nashville  
Jul 25th 2013, 13:31

(0 vote(s) cast)

Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineVincelette
Hi Vincelette,

Vincelette

Total Topics: 43, Posts: 1,998
View Predictions
Quote by Morgan_Henard
Quote by Vincelette

Who said you couldn't have that opinion? You're valid in many areas: Not considering Smith would be a mistake by every single one of us who watch submissions and try to analyze how the majority of Emmy voters will think. I mean, look at what happened last year. Christina Hendricks had the best submission while Joanne Froggatt had a good submission and was even boosted by Smith's yet, in the end, Smith still prevailed. If Smith doesn't win this year, she'll definitely be coming in second or third. She's quickly become another Bryan Cranston in that way. And I really was just curious where you coming from and you said so clearly: That Maggie Smith gave a better performance on season 3 of Downton Abbey than Anna Gunn did on season 5.1 of Breaking Bad. What's wrong with that? Nothing about any of that warrants a poster to be "very awful and mean" in my opinion. 

It's just like when Riley/TheDemonHog said he thought Cranston gave a better performance than Gunn in "Fifty-One." He's obviously a regular viewer of Breaking Bad and that was an interesting comment to make, one that hasn't been said that often, and basically my response to that, and yours, can be translated to, "Oh, that's an interesting comment. Why? Elaborate on it." Just like, I assume, you watched all of season three of Downton Abbey and season 5.1 of Breaking Bad, which is why it was interesting to read your comment that Smith had the better season than Gunn. That's why I was curious to see you expand on the topic. If you didn't watch either series, it would be totally different; I wouldn't care why you felt that way because it would be without merit. 

Hug 

Sorry for that comment, I had a little fight in the comedy forum before for saying that Lynch has a chance to win. One person called me a fanboy and had a rude comment that I only watch Glee that why I say that Lynch has a chance. Someone also wanted to report me for defending myself against the personal attack. Again, sorry for this off topic, but this is my reason why I made that comment before. 

I still think that Gunn can win, but I'm predicitng Maggie for now. 

www.facebook.com/pages/Shailene-Woodley-deserves-an-Oscar-nomination-for-The-Fault-in-Our-Stars/300816166787403