Choose Your Delivery Preferences:
Immediate Notification by Email
Email

Advertisement

Oct 18th 2013, 02:46
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBette Streep
Hi Bette Streep,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

Total Topics: 3, Posts: 27
View Predictions

Could we have a record number of African-American and African nominees in the 2013 Oscars ?

Best Director - Lee Daniels, Steve McQueen

Best Actor - Chiwetel Ejiofor ( the frontrunner), Forrest Whittaker, Michael B Jordan, Idris Elba

Best Actress - sadly noone I can think of

Best Supporting Actor - Barkhad Abdi

Best Supporting Actress - Oprah Winfrey, Lupita Nyonng'o, Octavia Spencer.

And yes there are also worthy caucasian, hispanic and asian candidates  - but I think this could be the year that the MOST African related nominees appear at the Oscars ..... and from all accounts ..,ALL WORTHY!!!!   
Oct 18th 2013, 03:25
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAviChristiaans
Hi AviChristiaans,
would like to add you as a friend on goldderby.com. Friends can exchange messages in private and see each others updates on their profiles.

AviChristiaans

Total Topics: 15, Posts: 858
View Predictions

And wouldn't it be fitting? Seeing as this year's Oscars is well on it' way to  make history race wise (African-American and Hispanic) in almost all categories (Picture, Director +  technical fields.) And i can't lie,  i would be ecstatic if it does happen (The black in me speaking, if course! LOL).

Picture, Director, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress is definetely happening, nomination wise.

How the winners will filter out is another story.

“Every great film should seem new every time you see it."
Roger Ebert”
Roger Ebert
Oct 18th 2013, 04:22
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineallabout oscars
Hi allabout oscars,

Total Topics: 1, Posts: 1,396
And why are we still discussing a person's race
when it comes to giving out awards??  This really
needs to stop...
Oct 18th 2013, 04:52
Hide Post  Hide Post  
onlineAviChristiaans
Hi AviChristiaans,

AviChristiaans

Total Topics: 15, Posts: 858
View Predictions
Why can't we be grown and progressed enough to acknowlegde a persons race or have discussions regarding race without feeling uncomfortable, especially in this instance where achievements by African-Americans, Hispanics and other races have been either few or non-existant in large scale? We can't mention race in regards to Acting achievements? Is that why Hispanics, African Americans, Indians etc have not been honored and celebrated in key categories other than acting? Just saying. We should be open enough to acknowlegde and discuss who and what a person is. There is no shame in being Hispanic or African-American, thus there should be no shame in discussing it. Just my opinion, it wasn't an attack.
“Every great film should seem new every time you see it."
Roger Ebert”
Roger Ebert
Oct 18th 2013, 05:00
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMusic Forever
Hi Music Forever,

Music Forever

Total Topics: 21, Posts: 656
View Predictions
Alfre Woodard and Davis Oyelowo may be surprise nominees.
Oct 18th 2013, 05:42
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetomhardys
Hi tomhardys,

tomhardys

Total Topics: 22, Posts: 1,175
View Predictions
This thread is stupid. May I ask you to do a list of Caucasian people? Or Latin? This whole race debacle needs to stop.
"I deserve what happens"
Oct 18th 2013, 07:34
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMalickFanboy
Hi MalickFanboy,

MalickFanboy

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 1,890
View Predictions
Quote by music forever
Alfre Woodard and Davis Oyelowo may be surprise nominees.

This would be incredible!

Oct 18th 2013, 08:12
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineJayDF
Hi JayDF,

JayDF

Total Topics: 31, Posts: 901
View Predictions
I see no problem at all in discussing this.  Why?  Because despite the growing number of opportunities given to non white actors in films, it's still VERY new from an historical perspective not only in the industry but wihtin the academy awards.

Let's face it non white quality characters are still in the minority in this industry and I personally feel the trend of this slowly going away very exciting.

The issue I would have is complaining  about awards (thinking EMMYS here and Kerry Washington) when they don't nominate or award actors and it it being about race, when I feel it's not about race within the awarding bodies but wihtin the industry.  Just because a non white actor gives a decent to mediorce performance doesn't mean they should be nominated simply because of the lack of possible non white options.  I cited Washington because although I've admired some of her work...I thought she was not very good in SCANDAL.

Of course the whole thing is subjective.   
Oct 18th 2013, 08:32
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineETPhoneHome
Hi ETPhoneHome,

ETPhoneHome

Total Topics: 20, Posts: 1,160
View Predictions
I think that another way of looking at it is how many contenders this year focus on race relations from an African American perspective. Fruitvale Station, The Butler and 12 years a Slave are all potential big players.
FYC: The Good Wife. All acting categories. This is the best show on TV right now, and should have been in Series.
Oct 18th 2013, 08:33
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinejjjmoss
Hi jjjmoss,

Total Topics: 5, Posts: 1,549
View Predictions
I think the race discussion has merit.

For example, there are still a grand total of zero lead East Asian acting nominees ever. And only one East Asian acting nominee alive of either gender. 
TCA Winner Tatiana Maslany, Globe Winner Elisabeth Moss, Kiernan Shipka, Lizzy Caplan, Matt Bomer
James Spader, Jon Hamm, Sophie Turner, Jordan Gavaris, Sofia Vergara (T10 contenders)
Oct 18th 2013, 08:40
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineMacbeth
Hi Macbeth ,

Macbeth

Total Topics: 168, Posts: 1,643
View Predictions
I agree - we shouldn't be concentrating on the colour of a person's skin, but celebrating their peformance. Irregardless of their race, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Ny'ongo, Oprah Winfrey and Michael B. Jordan have amazing performances.

I am surprised no one has brought up the issue of gay/lesbian winners. To my knowledge, there are only two (John Gielguld and Linda Hunt) that won acting Oscars, unless you count Jodie Foster (a year later and I'm still confused as to if that was a coming out at the Golden Globes, but please correct me if I'm wrong). The point is the fact that no one brings this up is because it really isn't that important. Like Mo'nique put it, "Performance, not the politics"
my blog: www.moviesunchained.wordpress.com

Oct 18th 2013, 13:14
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBaby Clyde
Hi Baby Clyde,

Baby Clyde

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 955
View Predictions
Quote by allaboutoscars
And why are we still discussing a person's race when it comes to giving out awards??  This really
needs to stop...

THIS^^^

And how exactly is Steve McQueen African American or African???
Oct 18th 2013, 13:58
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinetptrinity
Hi tptrinity,

Total Topics: 2, Posts: 149
View Predictions
Because he is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen_(director)

You must be thinking of the actor. 
Oct 18th 2013, 14:04
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlinethesmartone
Hi thesmartone,

thesmartone

Total Topics: 167, Posts: 2,851
View Predictions
I don't get why people are having a problem with this discussion. It is something that needs to be addressed more on the national level. Facts are facts: ALL minorities are rarely represented at award shows, including the Academy Awards. I did some math and research, and this is what I found:

Best Actor:
411 total nominations
19 nominations received by African Americans (4.6%)
4 wins received by African Americans (21% of nominations received by African-Americans; 0.9% of total nominations)

Best Actress:
415 total nominations
10 nominations received by African Americans (2.4%)
1 win received by African Americans (10% of nominations by African-Americans; 0.2% of total nominations)

Best Supporting Actor:
380 total nominations
16 nominations received by African Americans (4.2%)
4 wins received by African-Americans (25% of nominations by African-Americans, 1% of total nominations)

Best Supporting Actress:
380 total nominations
17 nominations received by African Americans (4.4%)
5 wins received by African-Americans (29% of nominations by African-Americans, 1.3% of total nominations)

Best Director:
414 total nominations
2 nominations received by African-Americans (0.4%)
0 wins received by African-Americans (0% of nominations by African-Americans; 0% of total nominations)

This year, there are many African-Americans expected to receive nominations. In the 5 categories listed above, if the people expected to get nominations and wins do receive them (taken straight from Gold Derby Prediction Center, top 5 in each category; winner in the top spot), then the math will look like this:

Best Actor:
416 total nominations
20 nominations received by African Americans (4.8%)
5 wins received by African Americans (25% of nominations by African Americans; 1.2% of total nominations)

Best Actress:
***STAYS THE SAME***

Best Supporting Actor:
***STAYS THE SAME***

Best Supporting Actress:
385 total nominations
20 nominations received by African Americans (5.1%)
6 wins received by African Americans (30% of nominations; 1.5% of total nominations)

Best Director:
419 total nominations
3 nominations received by African Americans (0.7%)
1 win by African Americans (33% of nominations; 0.2% of total nominations)

As you can see, there is still a lot of work that needs to be done here. African Americans, as well as other minorities, are continuously rarely represented at the Oscars, and most other award shows for that matter. Here is some other math:

Best Cinematograpy:
643 total nominations
1 nomination by African Americans (0.1%)
0 wins

Best Costume Design: 4 nominations, 0 wins
Best Adapted Screenplay: 3 nominations, 1 win
Best Original Screenplay: 3 nominations, 0 wins
Best Documentary: 4 nominations, 1 win
Best Documentary Short:
2 nominations, 1 win
Best Editing:
1 nomination, 0 wins
Best Original Score:
8 nominations, 2 wins
Best Original Song:
16 nominations, 5 wins
Best Short Film:
2 nominations, 0 wins
Best Sound Mixing:
9 nominations, 4 wins
Oct 18th 2013, 14:48
Hide Post  Hide Post  
offlineBaby Clyde
Hi Baby Clyde,

Baby Clyde

Total Topics: 0, Posts: 955
View Predictions
Quote by tptrinity
Because he is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen_(director)

You must be thinking of the actor. 

No. I'm thinking of the British director.