If you can believe it, Season 7 of “Game of Thrones” is almost at its end. Only two episodes remain of the penultimate season, and fans know that this is about the time when the body count begins to rise. Ned, Khal Drogo, Robb, Catelyn, Tywin, and even Jon Snow (Kit Harington) died in either the penultimate or final episode of a season. With the war for the Iron Throne heating up, and next week’s episode promising the presence of White Walkers, it’s time to revisit our death watch. These seven characters are likely to die before the season’s conclusion.
7. Cersei Lannister – I initially had a hunch that Cersei (Lena Headey) would be the big season finale death this year. After wall, the writers have included heavy foreshadowing that Cersei’s demise is imminent, thanks to destructive behavior and distrust from Jaime (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau). But unless Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) actually decides to take King’s Landing by use of force and dragon fire, Cersei should be able to hang on until the final season. Then again, Maggy the Frog prophesied that Cersei would only have three children, so the Queen will have to die before the one she currently bears is born.
6. Littlefinger – This shady character could also eek out an existence until Season 8, but there is no denying the clock is ticking on Littlefinger’s (Aidan Gillen) life. His schemes against the Stark sisters can’t stay hidden for long, especially with all-seeing Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) around. If he makes it onto Arya’s (Maisie Williams) kill list for his crimes, there will be no hope for him.
5. Euron Greyjoy – Sure, Euron (Pilou Asbaek) is despicable. But, a character introduced so late in the game can only really serve as a mini boss before our heroes move onto the bigger fish like Cersei and the Night King. We’ve seen Dany’s dragons lay waste to ships before, and not even Euron’s giant fleet is a match for them.
4. Grey Worm – Grey Worm (Jacob Anderson) is stranded in Casterly Rock with little food and supplies, and Euron’s ships lie in wait outside. While Dany is likely to attempt a rescue of her army at some point, the ensuing conflict will put the dedicated soldier directly in harm’s way. Plus, hardly any romances end happily on “Game of Thrones,” so his death would have extra impact after his tender love scene with Missandei (Nathalie Emmanuel).
3. Tormund Giantsbane – It’s a safe bet that not everyone on the mission beyond The Wall will return. It’s hard to see where else the writers can take Tormund’s (Kristofer Hivju) story at this point, plus he has become a fan favorite character thanks to his hysterical romantic advances on Brienne (Gwendoline Christie). “Game of Thrones” has previously relished in killing off our most beloved characters, so prepare for the worst.
2. Yara Greyjoy – The outlook is pretty dire for Yara (Gemma Whelan), which is a pity since she is the most compelling character to come out of the Iron Isles in years. And to have such a fierce warrior taken down by a savage like her uncle Euron could be disappointing considering the recent trend of female empowerment on the show. But Yara was last seen bloodied and in handcuffs, and her brother Theon doesn’t exactly have a huge army to lead a rescue mission.
1. Beric Dondarrion – I’m predicting a bit of a slaughter North of The Wall, and “Lightning Lord” Beric (Richard Dormer) is a prime candidate for White Walker fodder. Though he is an experienced knight, his many resurrections from death have left him with little to live for. His firm belief that the Lord of Light has brought Jon and the rest of the men together for a purpose also indicates that he is likely to sacrifice himself if it means that the group can succeed in the mission.
Be sure to make your Emmy predictions so that Hollywood insiders can see how their TV shows and performers are faring in our Emmy odds. You can keep changing your predictions until just before winners are announced on September 17. And join in the fierce debate over the 2017 Emmys taking place right now with Hollywood insiders in our TV forums. Read more Gold Derby entertainment news.