Gold Derby readers nearly unanimous that Emmys should NOT create Best Popular Series category to mimic Oscars [POLL RESULTS]

Dear Emmys, please don’t follow in the Oscars’ footsteps by creating a Best Popular Series category to honor TV’s most watched shows. That’s how a whopping 81% of Emmy fans voted in our recent poll when we asked whether the TV academy should follow the film academy’s eyebrow-raising decision of installing a Best Popular Film category to recognize blockbuster movies. Of the remaining 19% of poll respondents, 8% said they’d have to think about it more while 11% were actually in favor of the idea.

SEE Tom O’Neil on Oscars shame: OMG, who wants to win Best Unpopular Picture?

While our savvy readers are nearly unanimous that a move like this would “discredit” the Emmys, what shows would hypothetically be nominated anyway? Well, it’d no doubt be filled with offerings from the broadcast networks, as “The Big Bang Theory,” “Roseanne,” “This Is Us” and “NCIS” were among the most-watched of the 2017-18 television season, per Deadline.

But “popular” could mean any number of things. In terms of sheer water-cooler buzz, nothing beats the fanboy excitement of genre series like “Game of Thrones” and “The Walking Dead.” After all, oftentimes the only thing people talk about on Monday morning is who died on Sunday night. Then there are cult-driven programs like “Riverdale” and “The Originals,” which barely make a dent in the Nielsen ratings despite their popularity among the coveted 18-49 demographic.

SEE 2018 Emmy nominations complete list: All the nominees for the 70th Emmy Awards

Below, see a sampling of comments from passionate Emmys fans and then be sure to give us your take down in the comments section.

Zeke: “The Oscars shouldn’t have done it in the first place. It diminishes the award. What IS the award for being popular?”

Fitzwilliam1: “Leave things as is, as the Academy Awards SHOULD do. Over the years, popularity over quality has already ‘won’.”

Mukund: “Considering they have amply awarded Game of Thrones and nominated other popular shows like Stranger Things and This is Us in major categories, I don’t see why Emmys should do the same thing as the Oscars.”

Pier_Antoni: “NO!”

PREDICT the Emmy winners now; change them until September 17

Be sure to make your Emmy predictions today so that Hollywood insiders can see how their TV shows and performers are faring in our odds. You can keep changing your predictions as often as you like until just before winners are announced on September 17. Be sure to also predict winners for the Creative Arts ceremonies slated for September 8 and 9. And join in the fun debate over the 2018 Emmy taking place right now with Hollywood insiders in our television forums. Read more Gold Derby entertainment news.

SIGN UP for Gold Derby’s free newsletter with latest predictions

More News from GoldDerby

Loading