Don’t give up, Burping Girl! 78% of ‘American Idol’ fans want Margie Mays to audition next season [POLL RESULTS]

Even though Margie Mays, aka “Burping Girl,” was eliminated from “American Idol” prior to making the Top 20, fans are nearly unanimous that they want the singer to audition again next season. A whopping 78% of readers who voted in our recent poll have their fingers crossed that this quirky 25-year-old dog walker from Wilmington, DE will give it “another chance.” The other 22% of poll respondents thought that Margie’s personality was “way too annoying” and hope she’s done with the reality TV show altogether.

As you’ll recall, judge Katy Perry chastised Margie in the Hawaii showcase episode for relying too heavily on her energy and charisma. “This competition is called ‘American Idol,’ not ‘American Personality,'” Katy scolded. However, the judges also told Eddie Island the same thing but he was able to turn his comedic stylings around to give a knock-em-dead performance of “Ho Hey” in Tuesday’s Top 20 Solo round. Might Margie be able to wow the judges if she had another chance next year?

Several aspiring singers have found great success by trying out again after previously being cut on “American Idol.” Former winners Candice Glover and Caleb Johnson both were eliminated in prior seasons before they joined the show’s winners list in Season 12 and Season 13, respectively. And then there’s Laine Hardy and Alyssa Raghu, both members of this season’s Top 20 even though they were sent home early last season.

Yes, Margie’s “American Idol” journey was short-lived. However, she left a big impression on viewers thanks in part to her original audition of “Shot” in which she revealed that she burps when she gets nervous. Following that, Margie took on “Never Enough” from “The Greatest Showman” during Hollywood week where she let it be known that performing on “American Idol” was “a dream that was way too big to say out loud.”

Her final performance on ABC’s singing show turned out to be Meghan Trainor‘s “All About That Bass” in Hawaii. That’s when Katy, Lionel Richie and Luke Bryan told her, “Margie, last night wasn’t as strong as Hollywood week when you were showing us that you were a serious vocalist. You need to strike a balance and unfortunately we did not find that balance with you, so you will not be going forward.”

SIGN UP for Gold Derby’s newsletter with experts’ latest predictions

More News from GoldDerby

Loading