Home Forums Daytime TV 1982 Daytime Emmys

1982 Daytime Emmys

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Sean Phillips
FreemanGriffin
adamunc
  • Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:

The 1982 ceremony is now on youtube. Previously only a few of the categories were posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxCLhutyXw&feature=emb_title

ABC totally dominated the acting categories, but GL won Best Writing and Best Drama despite no acting nominations. If you can believe it, GL would not get any acting nominations until 1984! Such fabulous actors as Chris Bernau, Geraldine Court and Milette Alexander were snubbed during a period which also yielded no nominations for Maureen Garrett, Maeve Kinkead, Jerry verDorn and Michael Zaslow (they’d have to wait until the ’90s to finally be nominated). Larry Brygmann was CBS’ only acting nomination and Meg Mundy (from The Doctors) was the only NBC nominee.

Too bad they didn’t yet include clips for the acting nominations. (Yet they show lengthy clips for the writing category.) I’m dying to know what Dorothy Lyman submitted and even more curious what she submitted when she shockingly won the next year after being upgraded to the Best Actress category. I still think her Opal is one of the greatest performances in Soap history – too bad it only lasted 2 years.

Despite the CBS and NBC omissions, the group of acting winners is great – not a short term character among them, indeed all of them played Daytime icons.

Strasser, Lyman and especially Geary all mug for cameras when they win. 🙂 Marland is most thankful to Agnes Nixon in his speech. Maybe that secured their collaboration on Loving (?).

Winners:
    Drama: Guiding Light
    Actor: Tony Geary, GH
    Actress: Robin Strasser, OLTl
    Supporting Actor: David Lews, GH
    Supporting Actress: Dorothy Lyman, AMC

Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

This would have been around the time the Emmys got kicked off tv because the bloc voting was making the results seem pointless. That’s why you see ABC just dominate for those years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Not nominated for ATWT were Kathryn Hays, Margaret Colin, and Justin Deas, for Guiding Light: Christopher Bernau, Lisa Brown, Jane Elliot, and Jerry verDorn; for Another World: Douglass Watson and Victoria Wyndham; for Days Of Our Lives: Deidre Hall and Quinn Redeker; for Ryan’s Hope: Randall Edwards, Nancy Addison, Karen Morris-Gowdy and Daniel Hugh-Kelly; for The Edge of Night: Larkin Malloy; for General Hospital: Genie Francis, Denise Alexander and Robin Mattson… I am sure I have missed some good ones. The ABC bloc voting was glaring during this period.

This was Robin Strasser’s only Emmy win; she deserved far more than one Emmy. Perhaps she will be nominated this year for Guest Performer?

Dorothy Lyman was superb as Opal Gardner. She was on for 2 1/2 glorious years. She was the queen of the soap hoppers, appearing on at least 9 different ones!

I would have preferred Gerald Anthony’s Marco Dane, but he would win for the role when his character was on General Hospital for 1992-93.

I would have gone for Larry Bryggman’s performance during Dr. John Dixon’s blindness during that year. He would win twice later in the decade. James Mitchell sadly would never win despite 7 nominations, the most for any actor without a win. I found Tony Geary too over the top during his first stint as Luke on GH. Stuart Damon’s first Emmy nomination – he would have to wait until 1999 (for 1998) to win his Emmy.

Sharon Gabet was amazing as Raven during the Raven and Schuyler years (1980-84). So glad she was nominated. Ann Flood was really a supporting player on TEON at this point in time and had very little screen time. Susan Lucci’s automatic name recognition nominations were at the start with this her third nomination. It was Leslie Charleson’s 2nd nomination of 4. This was at the height of tensions between Alan and Monica with many fiery scenes between them.

Guiding Light was a worthy winner. Douglas Marland’s writing was terrific. Carrie and Nola were the ones I remember the most from this particular year on the show.

I loved when the daytime Emmys were on during the daytime, and each show would have separate tables!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Thanks so much for posting this; I’ve been trying to find the full show forever.

I was thrilled for Guiding Light‘s wins at the time, even though I was only 11. I was absolutely captivated by the adventures of Quint & Nola and Carrie Marler’s multiple personality storyline. Watching Lisa Brown cheerleading the wins from the show’s table is priceless.

Of course, the Camelot was short-lived. It would be only a few months before Executive Producer Allen Potter dropped Marland’s friend Jane Elliot from the show before her bravura storyline could be completed, causing Marland to quit in protest. The show then went into a tailspin for months, before the writer/producer team of Pam Long and Gail Kobe came in to restore order and kick off a new Golden Age for the show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:

For whatever GL was decimated after Marland departed the show to co-create Loving with Agnes Nixon. Almost all the characters he invested in disappeared.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

If you can believe it, [Guiding Light] would not get any acting nominations until 1984!

Same distinction with CBS’s The Young and the Restless! Its first nominated cast member was the late great Terry Lester in 1984. For GL, it was Judi Evans, who won that year for supporting actress.

The Daytime Emmys were still young, back then, and NBC (with Another World, Days of Our Lives, and The Doctors) and ABC (with Ryan’s Hope, most especially, but with other series recognized as well like All My Children for 27 consecutive years from 1976 to 2002) commandeered the top categories of series, lead actor, and lead actress. Where CBS was able to get in was with Y&R winning for its second season, in 1975. Edge of Night, before it made its move to ABC in 1977, won while it was on CBS specifically in 1973. But, it took until the 1980s for overdue recognition with both GL and As the World Turns (which won in 1987, a mere 31 years after it premiered).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.