Home Forums Daytime TV 1985 Daytime Emmy Awards

1985 Daytime Emmy Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
DS0816
FreemanGriffin
adamunc
  • Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

The entire ceremony has recently been posted to YouTube. It features Bob Barker as host and was quite a day for CBS, which took 7 of the 9 major daytime drama awards. This was the first year that the younger actor categories were included, here somewhat oddly called Outstanding Ingenue and Outstanding Young Man. Y&R’s Tracey E. Bregman (who gushed over co-nominees from DOOL) and ATWT’s Brian Bloom (who was 15 at the time but looked 25) won the inaugural awards. You can also see a charming acceptance speech from Supporting Actress winner Beth Maitland (Y&R) and an utterly wonderful, gracious speech from the beloved Larry Gates (GL), who won Supporting Actor. You can also see Kim Zimmer’s outrageous hair extensions as she takes the first of her four statues.

1985 Daytime Emmys telecast

Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

The date of The 12th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, broadcast on CBS, was Thursday, August 1, 1985.

It was a year in which ABC’s All My Children led the series nominations, being represented in series, directing, writing, and all six performance categories. It won for the first time in its history the Emmy for writing. Just one from its thirteen nominated cast prevailed: lead actor Darnell Williams (as Jesse Hubbard), who would not get nominated again until 27 years later in 2012.

It was the first nomination for eventual five-time Emmy winner David Canary (as twins Adam and Stuart on All My Children). Future Oscar and Emmy winner Melissa Leo was among the “ingenue” nominees. (She played Peter Bergman’s Cliff Warner’s sister, Linda Warner on All My Children.)

It was the last nominations for 1982 lead actress winner Robin Strasser (Dorian Lord on ABC’s One Life to Live) and Deidre Hall (Marlena Evans on NBC’s Days of Our Lives).

It was the sole nominations for daytime vets Kristian Alfonso (as Hope Williams on Days of Our Lives) and Michael O’Leary (as Rick Bauer on CBS’s Guiding Light).

Kim Zimmer became the first lead actress winner from a series on CBS. (She won, of course, for playing Reva Shayne on Guiding Light.) The Daytime Emmys made lead actress available for the first time in 1974. (The winner: Elizabeth Hubbard, for playing Althea Davis on NBC’s The Doctors; of course, we also know her as Lucinda Walsh on CBS’s As the World Turns; her first nomination for that role and show came the next year, 1986.) Zimmer had the distinction of being the only one from her category to win for a CBS series from 1974 to 1996 until Jess Walton scored for playing Jill Foster on The Young and the Restless in 1997. It was rather strange it played out that way. But, other than Zimmer, the lead actress winners from 1974 to 1996 were from NBC or ABC.

There were lots of firsts in 1985. Five of the six acting winners won for the first time. There were also firsts for The Young and the Restless winning any acting Emmys. (Beth Maitland, who plays Traci Abbott, won for supporting actress. Tracey Bregman, who plays Lauren Fenmore, won for “ingenue.”) All My Children, not only for writing, scored in lead actor for the first time in its history (with Darnell Williams). Guiding Light, which won its first acting Emmy with Judi Evans (as Beth Raines) in 1984, won for the first time in its history the categories lead actress (Kim Zimmer) and supporting actor (Larry Gates as H.B. Lewis) as well as for directing. As the World Turns won for the first time in its history the category “young man” (with Brian Bloom as Dusty Donovan). (Side Note: I thought I recalled that category was titled “juvenile” when it was created and implemented in 1985.)

This was the first Daytime Emmys I watched.

Before the ceremony began, I figured that Beth Maitland would win. That Larry Gates would prevail. And that All My Children would win for writing. But, I didn’t feel informed enough to weigh in on predicting outcomes for the other main categories.

In the prior year, 1984, the Daytime Emmys were off the air. I think it may have been bad blood involving at least one network. That year’s winners were leaked to the press and, of course, the nominated actors were already aware of their category outcomes when they went into the off-air ceremony.

1985 marked the year the Daytime Emmys returned to television and were carried on a rotation basis on CBS (1985), NBC (1986), and ABC (1987).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The winners were generally excellent. Of course I would have voted differently in most of the categories! AMC would have been my pick for Series, Best Actor to James Mitchell for AMC – he’s the most nominated actor with no wins with 7 nominations; Robin Strasser for Best Actress – this was regrettably her last of her four nominations – how she was never nominated again will forever remain a mystery to me; Larry Gates deserved his statuette, I would have chosen him, and Brian Bloom too – he looked 15, not 25! Younger Actress pick was definitely Lisa Trusel, who surprisingly got her only nomination (Kristian Alfonso also got her only nomination that year too). Eileen Herlie or Maeve Kinkead for Supporting Actress – how old was/is Beth Maitland that she wasn’t in the Younger Actress category?

I wish Don Hastings and Kathryn Hays had been nominated for ATWT, along with Hillary B Smith. I recently saw the phenomenal work that Sherry Mathis did on Search For Tomorrow in 1984 – when her husband Travis died and she was trying to adopt T.R. (Jane Krakowski). There are always phenomenal performances that don’t make the cut every single year.

Unfortunately we will never get to see the 1983 and 1984 Daytime Emmys ): My memory is that the networks that were supposed to air them refused to do so?

I wonder if Justin Deas showed up in 1984 when he won for ATWT? He was present at least 3 times: 1981, 1987 and 1994 – winning that last one. But absent for his other SB and GL wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

The Young Man category was also called Juvenile Male in some sources that first year, then became Young Man for several years before the titles switched to Younger Actor/Actress around 1990, then ultimately the genderless Younger Performer this year.

Beth Maitland was born in 1958, so she would have just missed the 25-year-old age cutoff by a year or two for Ingenue.

One interesting note from Kim Zimmer’s memoir — this was the season of the famous Reva in the fountain scene, but she did not include it on her winning reel. The reason was that the rules at the time required you to submit three episodes and you had to include every scene you appeared in, whether you had a line or not. Since that episode featured a big party, she was in the background of a lot of scenes and she was afraid voters would get bored before the “money scene”. So she picked a romantic episode, a comic episode, and a heavy drama/crying episode to show range.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

I would love to know what reels Larry Gates, Darnell Williams, Beth Maitland, Tracey E. Bregman, GL for Directing, and Y&R for drama series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The BC 2.0
    Topics:

Maitland’s Emmy-winning submission is re-airing TODAY (or right NOW, if you’re on the East Coast).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.