Home Forums Daytime TV 1992 Daytime Emmys

1992 Daytime Emmys

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
GloFish
FreemanGriffin
soapsarecool
  • Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:

The full show is on YouTube.

Despite the show being on NBC, Susan Lucci is the co-host (with Phil Donahue) which shows her pull. They were still in the Sheraton ballroom and would only move to Radio City Music Hall a few years later. This is just before the OJ trial and the downward slide of ratings and at this point Soaps were peaking in popularity although at this point the show was pretty simple.

Susan wears the same dress the whole show for example! And there are no musical interludes of the type that would later mar the show in years to come. They also show lengthy clips of all the acting nominees outside of the “younger” categories. Tragically they kept eliding the inclusion of acting clips in later years – 1997 was a really egregious show for that reason.

Susan was a good sport about losing at this point. The most notable thing about the show is that she gets the only standing ovation of the evening and for losing!!! (1 hour 31 minutes in).

Deidre Hall is not wearing a red AIDS ribbon! Was this the start of the ribbon controversy?

ATWT, AMC, GL, Y&R and OLTL were all at creative high-points in 1991. Days was typically ignored. GH which at this point was putrid creatively (a few years before Labine and Riche took the helm and saved the show) was justifiably overlooked.

The winners were:
    Tricia Cast, Y&R – Younger Actress
    Kristoff St. John, Y&R – Younger Actor
    Maeve Kinkead, GL – Supporting Actress
    Thom Christopher, OLTL – Supporting Actor
    Erika Slezak, OLTL – Lead Actress
    Peter Bergman, Y&R – Lead Actor
    AMC – Drama Series

The winners are a fine group and deserving. Personally, I would’ve preferred James Stuart over St. John in Younger Actor, Maureen Garrett in Supporting Actress and either Jessica Tuck or Elizbaeth Hubbard in Lead Actress, but I can’t deny Slezak was pretty spectacular during Megan’s death that year on OLTL.

Who do you think should’ve won that year?

Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:
    syrus80
    Topics:

Jessica Tuck should’ve won Lead Actress but I don’t begrudge Erika that win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Michael Zaslow for Best Actor, Elizabeth Hubbard for Best Actress, Charles Keating for Supporting Actor, Maureen Garrett for Supporting Actress, Scott DeFretias for Younger Actor, Beth Ehlers for Younger Actress, Another World for Directing, and As The World Turns for Writing – I was happy for AMC to finally win, my memory is that it had been nominated 17 years in a row and this was it’s first Emmy win but I would have chosen ATWT for Best Drama Series that year.

Thank you for sharing this! Just watched all the soap categories and content, skipped the rest – what wonderful memories! Loved seeing MacDonald Carey and Frances Reid. Everybody so young! Melissa Reeves (younger actress nominee, I think the honly nom for Days) wasn’t there because she just had a baby who would be 28 years old this year! Loved all the clips – but wish they had them for the younger acting categories as well. Loved Maeve Kinkead’s poem – she just mentioned two days ago that she was grieving the death of her father that night. The clips from the four nominated shows were great! Kate Collins should have been nominated for AMC that year for the Natalie/Janet storyline. Are there more of these available?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

I loved watching this! So much nostalgia. Especially funny was John J. York mispronouncing Maeve Kinkaid’s name. I thought she was so gracious and loved her speech and thanking Douglas Marland. :-). She is one of my all-time favorites, both the actress and the character.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

The tribute to Bill Bell! I cried so much. What a great man! And I loved that he acknowledged the Cordays, Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, Kay Alden, Jack Smith, and that he invited Lee Phillip Bell to the stage. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The nominees for 1991-92;

series: AMC, ATWT, GL and Y&R (AMC was the winner)

Actor: Peter Bergman, Y&R; David Canary, AMC; Nicolas Coster and A Martinez, SB; and Michael Zaslow, GL

Actress; Jeanne Cooper, Y&R; Elizabeth Hubbard, ATWT; Susan Lucci, AMC; Erika Slezak and Jessica Tuck, OLTL

Supporting Actor: Bernie Barrow, L; Thom Christopher, OLTL; Rick Hearst and Jerry verDorn, GL; and Charles Keating, AW

Supporting Actress: Darlene Conley, B&B; Linda Dano, AW; Maureen Garrett and Maeve Kinkead, GL; and Lynn Herring, GH

Younger Actor: Scott DeFreitas, ATWT; Jeff Phillips, GL; James Patrick Stuart and Dondre Whitfield, AMC; and Kristoff St. John, Y&R

Younger Actress: Tricia Cast, Y&R; Beth Ehlers, GL; Alla Korot, AW; Cady McClain, AMC; and Melissa Reeves, Days

Directing: AW, ATWT and GL

Writing: ATWT, GL and Y&R

B&B, Days, GH and Loving all got only 1 major nomination; SB got only two. OLTL got 3. AW did better than usual with 4. AMC got 6. ATWT got 5. GL got 9. Y&R got 6.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

What did AMC submit for Drama Series?
    Y&R did good that year

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

The best winner was Outstanding Supporting Actor Thom Christopher as mobster Carlo Hesser in One Life to Live.

Most of the awards resulted in overall failure with the [1991–92] Daytime Emmys.

I agreed, given the nominees, with Supporting Actress awarded to Maeve Kinkead as Vanessa Chamberlain in Guiding Light.

This was the season in which the Outstanding Lead Actress Emmy should have gone to GL’s Beverlee McKinsey for her Alexandra Spaulding masterfully humiliating ex-husband Roger Thorpe (Michael Zaslow, in the season he should have won Lead Actor). That aired in July 1991. Later, there was also the discovery of Alexandra having a second son in the form in Nick McHenry (Vincent Irizarry, whose original Lujack was killed off in 1985, having returned to the series after six years).

The top performance of that season was by McKinsey. She was not nominated. At the time, the longest stretch between two separate nominations was 10 to 12 years. (The record now belongs to Susan Seaforth Hayes, of Days of Our Lives, with 39 years between 1979 and 2018.) Elizabeth Hubbard won Emmys in 1974 for The Doctors and in 1976 for First Ladies’ Diaries: Edith Wilson. She did not get nominated again until 1986 for As the World Turns. For Beverlee McKinsey, she received four consecutive years of nominations for Another World in 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980. So, I think the long break—that what was going on and who was present in daytime was different in the years 1980 and 1992—was key to why McKinsey did not get nominated. McKinsey ended up having left her series in August 1992.

Who was also inexcusably denied nomination was Kate Collins for playing Natalie Hunter and taking on Janet Green in All My Children. After a seven-year run, Collins also left her series that year. She was terrific on AMC. I thought Collins should have been nominated, say, two or three times. During Collins’s period, only one other actress—Julia Barr (in 1991)—had managed to join Susan Lucci (nominated without break from 1981 to 1993) in Lead Actress specifically for AMC.

It was a real lazy National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences nominating system. Routinely, there would be, say, seven of ten nominated lead-acting performances from one year to the next. Perhaps someone would switch from a previous Supporting to a Lead nomination. It was a real garbage system. Had Collins been on AMC not from 1985 to 1992 but from 2005 to 2012, she would have been nominated—more than once—and she may have even won.

I could say more about 1992. It was not good. I will stop here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:

Yes McKinsey not even being nominated that year was pretty criminal. And maybe helped convince her that her time in daytime needed to end. (She also complained about the storylines around this time and supposedly didn’t like working with Zaslow). The oversight of Kate Collins for her dynamic portrayals was also a major debacle. Guiding Light at this time was peaking as well and should’ve won best show.

Of the actual nominees that year, I would’ve chosen Jessica Tuck who was just wonderful. They killed Megan off because Tuck wanted to do something better than a Soap. Unfortunately that never happened for her. It always felt weird that Slezak won for a story that was essentially someone else’s.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.