Home Forums Daytime TV 2004 Best Lead Actress in a Daytime Drama Series revisited

2004 Best Lead Actress in a Daytime Drama Series revisited

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
OLTLfan
Frank2803
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

It was an unusual year in that there were a record 8 nominations in the category:

Martha Byrne (Lily and Rose, As The World Turns)
    Kassie DePaiva (Blair, One Life To Live)
    Susan Flannery (Stephanie, The Bold and the Beautiful)
    Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis, General Hospital)
    Juliet Mills (Tabitha, Passions)
    Erika Slezak (Victoria, One Life To Live)
    Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, The Young and the Restless)
    Kim Zimmer (Reva, Guiding Light)

I was very disappointed that my favorite actress, Maura West, wasn’t nominated for her superb performance as Carly Tenney on As the World Turns. I thought she was much more deserving than Martha Byrne, who I also really love too.

I would have voted for Kassie DePaiva – incredibly this was her only nomination for portraying Blair Cramer on One Life To Live. She was imo even more impressive during “live week” in 2002.

Erika Slezak won her 6th and final Emmy. I think she’s an excellent actress but she simply was never my favorite on the show. I preferred Robin Strasser, Hillary B Smith, and Kassie DePaiva in their roles on the show. Robin and Hillary were imo always worthy of being nominated.

Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

DePaiva & Mills had no chance against the other ladies and were just lucky to even be nominated. Voters didn’t take Passions seriously enough to give it an acting win and DePaiva was nominated for the wrong year.

Byrne, Flannery, Zimmer & Stafford are always fantastic but this was really a two horse race between NLG & Slezak.

NLG was the expected winner after a fantastic year. Kristina was sick in the hospital and in dire need of a stem cell transplant. The truth finally comes out; Ned isn’t Kristina’s father, Sonny is. Sam happens to be pregnant with Sonny’s baby at the same time. If Sam agrees to induce labor, her baby’s stem cells can be used to save Kristina’s life. Sam refuses because there is a small chance that inducing labor could kill her baby. Alexis confronts Sam in the hospital chapel and begs her to induce. When Sam says no, Alexis screams at her until Sam goes into labor. Sam’s baby dies and Kristina lives. The scenes screamed Emmy and easily should have finally won NLG the lead prize. But, as usual, she bungled her 2nd submission. She had brilliant scenes from earlier in the year where Alexis is stuck in an elevator with Carly during the Port Charles Hotel fire and believing she won’t survive, tearfully admits to Carly that Ned isn’t Kristina’s father, Sonny is. They’re saved and Carly uses the secret to blackmail Alexis. She didn’t submit them. Instead, she went with stupid comedic scenes of Ric and Alexis shopping for a Christmas tree that never should have made it anywhere near an Emmy reel.

Slezak submitted scenes where Viki’s husband Ben briefly wakes up from his coma on Valentine’s Day. The episode featured sweet, romantic (newly filmed) flashback scenes and moving, emotional monologues at Ben’s bedside.

She paired that subtle episode with an incredibly dramatic one where Ben loses all brain function while Viki’s heart is failing. The only way she can survive is a transplant. Dorian notices that Ben’s heart is a perfect match for Viki’s. Asa & Renee agree to take Ben off life support and to harvest his heart to donate to Viki. Viki is unconscious so her family agrees to the operation on her behalf. Viki comes to and instantly knows something is wrong. She can feel that something has happened to Ben. Her kids tell her everything and say that since she is awake, it is up to her whether or not she takes Ben’s heart. Viki struggles with the decision, delivers a devastating monologue and then agrees to the operation.

The two episodes worked together, told a full story and showed a ton of range. Just a strong, solid, effective reel.

It’s still strange to me that Slezak even got the nomination that year. It was her first nom after winning two consecutive trophies for her DID story in the 90’s. She deserved nominations for many years between ‘96 & ‘05 but didn’t get them, probably because voters felt she had been rewarded enough. I’ll never understand why she suddenly got nominated for this year but not the others. Once she got the nomination, it was an easy win for her since NLG submitted so poorly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I disagree with you about Kassie DePaiva – she was always exceptional and had a chance to be a viable winner based on her talent. I don’t know what each actress submitted but as I have said many times for me the submissions don’t matter as much as the whole year’s worth of work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

DePaiva’s story that year:

Dorian drags Blair to the Llanview PD to meet with Nora (who was DA at the time). Blair tells Nora that Todd raped her on New Year’s Eve. Nora presses charges but Todd denies the allegations and says the sex was consensual. The mystery is who’s lying: Todd or Blair? The twist answer: neither! It turns out Blair had a brain tumor that made her think it was rape (which makes no sense!)

The story was stupid and it’s sole purpose was to prop Trevor St. John as nuTodd. They even brought Susan Haskell’s Marty back for a guest appearance to testify that Todd learned his lesson after raping Marty and loved his kids so much that he would never rape another woman again. It was gross!

DePaiva had win worthy reels two years earlier when Blair found out Roger Howarth’s Todd lied to her about her baby being dead and read him for filth during OLTL’s live week but unfortunately wasn’t nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I don’t remember exactly what Maura West’s Carly was up to in 2004 but I do remember being really disappointed when she wasn’t nominated as I thought she ought to win. Storylines blur for me so I can’t always remember which storylines were in which year… also Hillary B Smith was always superb as Nora and always deserving of at least a nomination – she only received two but at least she won an Emmy!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

I rooted for DePavia, but I knew Slezak or Grahn were taking it home.

Mills was a nice surprise even though I was not a Passions fan

Why were there eight nominees this particular year?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

DePaiva’s story that year: Dorian drags Blair to the Llanview PD to meet with Nora (who was DA at the time). Blair tells Nora that Todd raped her on New Year’s Eve. Nora presses charges but Todd denies the allegations and says the sex was consensual. The mystery is who’s lying: Todd or Blair? The twist answer: neither! It turns out Blair had a brain tumor that made her think it was rape (which makes no sense!) The story was stupid and it’s sole purpose was to prop Trevor St. John as nuTodd. They even brought Susan Haskell’s Marty back for a guest appearance to testify that Todd learned his lesson after raping Marty and loved his kids so much that he would never rape another woman again. It was gross! DePaiva had win worthy reels two years earlier when Blair found out Roger Howarth’s Todd lied to her about her baby being dead and read him for filth during OLTL’s live week but unfortunately wasn’t nominated.

I always thought it was odd that DePavia got in this year, but missed out on other nomination worthy years

I guess that’s the Emmys for you

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Yes, the Emmys are prone to makeup nominations. They don’t nominate you when you deserve it, and then throw you a bone a a year or two later.

I do remember both Erika Slezak and NLG’s reels from that year. I didn’t see either, but I knew from reading about them, probably in these forums, or their predecessors. Those two certainly stand out in my mind as the top contenders.

I was salty because there was buzz that Deidre Hall might finally get another nomination for the serial killer storyline on DAYS that year. The story had started in 2003 and six people were already dead, but it was in early 2004 that it was revealed Marlena was the killer. The revelation was a huge twist, and echoed the devil possession storyline from a decade earlier in some ways. Of course, the story — which I thought was genuinely thrilling and intriguing for its first six months or so — went way off the rails, with Marlena murdering Alice Horton and then Marlena herself being killed, after which it was revealed that the whole thing was a ruse, both the murders and the fact of Marlena being the killer. DH was really sensational in the serial killer scenes, but ultimately the whole thing became quite infamous, and that’s without the fact that later that year, Marlena wound up pregnant with Roman’s child after a brief tryst on Melaswen. In hindsight, I’m not sure the word of DH having a shot at a nomination was from any credible source, possibly mostly mainstream media outlets who were gravitating toward someone they knew in a storyline they’d heard about. It bugged me less that she wasn’t nominated than that there were EIGHT nominees! This made me annoyed not only that she was not included, but also that several years earlier, Eileen Davidson had missed out on a nomination in a field that ultimately included four actresses — Jensen Buchanan, Genie Francis, Susan Lucci, and winner Jess Walton. I read at the time that there were only four nominees because there was a three-way tie for the fifth slot, and seven nominees was considered too many. It was rumored or heavily assumed that the three-way tie included Eileen Davidson and Martha Byrne, and maybe Cynthia Watros or Kim Zimmer?

But back to 2004, that’s ultimately a very strong list of contenders. It’s astounding that was Kassie’s only nomination as Blair on OLTL, and it was nice seeing Juliet Mills get a nomination for her work on Passions (though, again, this was somewhat galling to me, even as a huge fan of Mills and her work on Passions, because the show had passed the point of being taken seriously).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I thought Martha Byrne was a shoo-in for a nomination in 1997, the year of the four nominees. I was so disappointed that year that Genie Francis lost to Jess Walton. I know others really like Jess Walton but Brenda Dickson was always the real Jill to me and I never understood her two Emmy wins. I also loved Maura West’s work on ATWT – she had returned to the show after a year’s absence in 1996 and did some stellar work. I was a New York soap person back then so I didn’t watch Days all that much, mostly for Sami (Alison Sweeney) whenever she had a strong storyline.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Why were there eight nominees this particular year?

There was a tie in the voting that caused there to be eight nominations. There were 7 nominees in 1978, and a few years there have been six nominees (1979, 1980 and 2010 – maybe a few other years as well).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

If the nominees were cut down to five, who would make the final cut and who would be the winner?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

My Top 5 guess is Byrne, Flannery, Grahn, Stafford & Zimmer as they were the ones consistently getting lead noms and/or wins at the time. Slezak hadn’t been nominated in 9 years and had been snubbed in years where she had even stronger material. And DePaiva & Mills had no Emmy history at all. I’m pretty comfortable assuming they were the bottom 3 in the first round of voting.

I don’t know who would have won out of those 5. Grahn cost herself the win with an incredibly poor 2nd tape. My guess is Flannery would have repeated if it hadn’t been for the crazy tie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^Since Slezak won she would be in the top five. My guesses would be Byrne, DePaiva, Flannery, Grahn and Slezak, but who knows????

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

No, the fact that Slezak won means she was first place in the second round of voting. It doesn’t mean she was top five in the first round. She easily could have been tied for last place in the initial round of voting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I think you’re right, OLTLfan. That would have been my best guess for what would have been the top five, with DePaiva, Mills and Slezak dropping out. I think a DePaiva swap for Zimmer is more likely than Slezak being top five. I think Grahn might have won in that case, even with what was considered a bad second episode submission.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.