Home Forums Daytime TV 2004 Best Lead Actress in a Daytime Drama Series revisited

2004 Best Lead Actress in a Daytime Drama Series revisited

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
OLTLfan
Frank2803
  • Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

^I thought Martha Byrne was a shoo-in for a nomination in 1997, the year of the four nominees. I was so disappointed that year that Genie Francis lost to Jess Walton. I know others really like Jess Walton but Brenda Dickson was always the real Jill to me and I never understood her two Emmy wins. I also loved Maura West’s work on ATWT – she had returned to the show after a year’s absence in 1996 and did some stellar work. I was a New York soap person back then so I didn’t watch Days all that much, mostly for Sami (Alison Sweeney) whenever she had a strong storyline.

Jess’s Jill felt like another character compared to Brenda’s Jill.

I know actor/actress usually put their spin on a recast character, but at least they keep some character traits

They completely changed the character of Jill Abbott with Jess

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

^ This is how I feel about Kassie Depaiva. I wish Y&R or B&B would give her an original character. Great actress but especially wrong as Blair and even worse as Southern Eve.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BTN
    Topics:

Tabitha really commented on all the action. Could be a funny color commentator. When it comes to passions in 2004 I mostly remember Eva tamargo as Pilar dealing with the return of her husband Martin and (aliatairs wife) Katherine. Tamargo was so good! Mills could be really good like with Timmys death so it was nice to see her nominated but the more traditional Emmy work was done by Tamargo

Hall was so good in the time when you knew Marlena was the killer and when she was “killed.” I remember this Episode where Shawn was suspicious of her and she shot him this look of total hatred. There was also an episode with Celeste and hypnosis that was great. Plus her hospital confessionals and her “yup” answers if she was the killer. Lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boidiva02
    Topics:

If I recall correctly, in 2004 Nancy Lee Grahn and Erika Slezak were the front-runners with Stafford and Byrne as potential spoilers (It’s been a long time so I may be wrong). I know my personal preferences were Grahn or Slezak.

I do remember however some people thinking that Erika Slezak was gaming the system a little by submitting in Lead Actress when she really hadn’t been the lead on the show that year, having not had a front-burner storyline and having really only that brief storyline to submit. There was a feeling that she continually submitted in lead when her screentime didn’t always justify it; she could have submitted in supporting.

NLG was giving the best work of her career on GH til that point, and people were noticing.

I think most recognized that Juliet Mills was never going to win this thing, and Kassie DePavia’s nomination was too far out of left field to be a contender. It was viewed as a make-up nomination.

Overall, as much as I like Erika Slezak, I do feel that Nancy Lee Grahn probably deserved the win more. Slezak’s work during the heart transplant story was great and all, but she really wasn’t the true lead of OLTL in 2004.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.