Home Forums Daytime TV 2011: the year the soaps died

2011: the year the soaps died

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Created
7 years ago
Last Reply
7 years ago
replies
views
users
BTN
EmmyLoser
adrianna
  • Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

It is with a heavy heart that I must acknowledge 2011 as The year that soaps died. With the cancellation of two-thirds of ABC’s soap line-up, it’s clear to me that soap opera as a genre is close to extinction, and that for me, soap operas are no more. 

AMC and OLTL were my first and my favorite soaps and their death marks the end of my soap viewing.   The fact is They have been mere shadows of their former selves for the better half of two-decades now, and I stopped watching on a regular basis some five or six years ago.  But their death hits me as hard today as it would have If it had happened 11 years ago.

I write this post to ask if I am the only one that views 2011 as the year that soaps died.

Sure we’ll still have four soaps left, but GH doesn’t seem long for this world, and I imagine will be cancelled by it’s next contract expiration.   “DOOL” has survived for so long as NBC’s lone soap, but time isn’t on it’s side, I bet it’s gone within the next five years as well.  and then we have the Bell soaps, which I predict to be the last two standing.   Y&R and B&B will likely continue for years but will I feel will suffer without competition to inspire them to achieve new heights, and w/out competing shows.  

The industry is dead and it’s so depressing.

BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

They say The Katie Couric Show will not mean the cancellation of General Hospital but that starts in September of 2012 and who knows what the health of soap operas will be at that point and that instead of being temp replacement it will be a more permanent replacement. The Revolution looks worse than The Chew!!

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

As much as I mourn the loss of each soap that leaves the airwaves, and most especially OLTL, the cancelled soap I’ve been closest to since Another World left us, I still can’t let go of the idea that the genre can have a turnaround.  I don’t know how I see this happening, exactly, but I believe it still can.  But the only reason I can be optimistic is because my flagship show, DAYS, is still on the air, and thriving creatively.  It makes me hopeful.

ReplyCopy URL
    adrianna
    Topics:

Well soaps are dead its just question niw when General Hospital and Days get canceled. The question is will YR survive?

Death began with another world getting axed, passions mocking the industry to new horrific levels, and all these realiy shows which are new soaps in cheap budget way ( all housewives shows).

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to mention the complete and utter creative failure of soaps to adpat to audiences needs and changing social morals, all while seeking out the teen demographic that resulted in them ignoring core audiences.

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel much the same way, Boidiva. Overall, I prefer the style of the NYC soaps. They have always had a more intimate, cozier feeling than their California counterparts. Even though there are four soaps left, I hate the fact that the era of east coast soaps is over. I still maintain that the expansion of soaps to an hour, which was profitable in the short-term, was ultimately the undoing of the genre. I would be satisfied with a 90-minute block of Y&R/ATWT/GL or AMC/OLTL/GH. The shows were expanded on the eve of an era of decreased demand. Not to mention the problems of producing 5 hours of programming year-round. In any case, I wish that networks would consider 30-minute versions of the remaining shows before resorting to cancellation. 

As for the remaining shows, I am hoping that the OLTL Dream Team can work some miracles at GH. The potential lack of time slot is a concern, but that is where the 30-minute option would save the day. GH could air at 12:30 (eastern time). Days 2.0 is a great improvement, and it’s frustrating that the ratings do not reflect the improved quality. Y&R has been a mess, but there is still hope. 

Despite the popular sentiment that soaps are dead, I still believe the daytime serial is a viable format. But the supply needs to meet the demand, which means no more three hour soap blocks. Back in the 70s, soaps were not expensive to produce. The sets were simple and the actors were mostly unknown beyond the soap world. Revisiting this model could work with good writing, good direction, and strong actors.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.