Home Forums Daytime TV 2018 Daytime Emmy reactions thread

2018 Daytime Emmy reactions thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Sean Phillips
PoweR
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

robbalto, I didn’t watch the show live either, but I have watched it since then. I skipped all of the non-soap categories, but did watch the tributes to GH and Y&R (I put my cursor on and found the parts of the way too long show on the parts I wanted to watch, cut it down to 75 minutes that way). Other than Rome Flynn’s win I was really happy this year! (:

Does anyone know if yesterday’s episode of The Talk is available online or on YouTube? I would love to see it.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe you’re right about Casey Moss’s reel, Djoko, but the idea of it makes me angry. I’m sorry, but if you sign up to judge a category where five nominees can each submit a 20-minute reel, then you should be prepared to spend a hour and 40 minutes watching reels. Sometimes a reel feels to long, and that’s one thing, but the judges should at least watch them all. Come on.

Even though it’s a shame he didn’t win, at least Casey finally got nominated, so that’s a step in the right direction.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marilyn
    Participant
    Topics:

While I agree with you about Casey Moss in general and hope that next year will finally be a win for him, I remember feeling a smidge of doubt after watching the reels. Casey’s reel had two flashbacks of the shooting and I remember thinking “That’s kind of repetitive and unneccessary.” Then I was surprised that the flashbacks from the suicide eppy weren’t included–at least the one with Matthew Ashford. My guess is that the one storyline didn’t show enough range. I liked Rome Flynn’s reel and found it to be a very natural style of acting. Based on the other winners I think that style was reflected versus OTT soapy stuff.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved all the Diversity last night. James Reynolds, Rome Flynn, Vernee Watson, Wayne Brady, Steve Harvey, Judge Mathis, and the ladies of The Real, and The Talk…

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know if yesterday’s episode of The Talk is available online or on YouTube? I would love to see it.

CBS All Access.

If you do not subscribe, it will probably give you the first week or first month free.

If you have a streaming device, like Amazon Fire, Apple TV, or Roku, you should have no problem.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  DS0816.
    ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe you’re right about Casey Moss’s reel, Djoko, but the idea of it makes me angry. I’m sorry, but if you sign up to judge a category where five nominees can each submit a 20-minute reel, then you should be prepared to spend a hour and 40 minutes watching reels. Sometimes a reel feels to long, and that’s one thing, but the judges should at least watch them all. Come on.

Even though it’s a shame he didn’t win, at least Casey finally got nominated, so that’s a step in the right direction.

Who’s to say they don’t watch the reels but just don’t feel compelled by the end of the reel? There are some drawbacks to long reels. Sometimes less is more.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I definitely agree that less is more. It’s better to make a big impact in a shorter amount of time than to have a long drawn out reel. As we all know from the Oscars, voters are very lazy. They’re not going to sit through a 15 minute reel, especially for a younger actor nominee (maybe they are more inclined to sit through them for the lead categories). The flashbacks in his reel were definitely unnecessary.

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

When I saw the running time, I thought I was in for some mess. But I was wrong! Didn’t know a 45th anniversary was a thing, but they pulled out all the stops to celebrate it. Besides that awful opening number and the confetti at the end (stop that!), this was the best one to date. Streaming is definitely this awards show’s home going forward and I’m all for it if it means quality productions. Absolutely loved the clips of the old shows as the “commercials” and the thought put in some of the presenters (getting the first acting winners for the acting categories and having a show reunion in one of them were great). Absolutely loved the Hayes’s speech! The highlight for the night. Congrats to DAYS for pulling off that sweep and to the acting winners.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

To be clear, I’m not saying there’s no way judges watched Casey Moss’s reel because he didn’t win. While my opinion was that his was best, I can accept that other people may have disagreed, even if I don’t love it, or that people may have found the reel too long and so were less interested by the end of it. I’m just saying the idea of the judges not watching all of someone’s reel because it’s on the longer side makes me angry. It’s literally what they’re signing up for. There’s a big difference between being bored by the end of a reel and not watching all of a reel because it’s five minutes longer than you wanted it to be. I was responding specifically to Djoko’s comment that most of the judges probably didn’t make it to the second half of Moss’s reel.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I also wanted to say that the Dishing with Digest podcast about the Daytime Emmy ceremony and results was quite enjoyable and had some interesting insights. Of course it was fun to hear them chat with Camryn Grimes about her win. They also talked about some behind-the-scenes stuff, like how some actors who didn’t win were just consoling themselves over at the bar, and some stuff about the voting process. For one, they said that some actors who are judging do openly admit that they’ll watch the first few minutes of the reels in a category and then vote, which, as I said previously, is really annoying. I wish there was some way to still give the actors the convenience of judging at home in a timeframe that works for them but also provide some reasonable assurance they’re actually watching the reels. (But maybe all of the actors know this to be the case, and that was why some of the reels were out of order?) They also said that each show is capped at having the same number of judges in the acting categories, so while one show may have more judges in a given category, overall the numbers should be the same for each show, and no show should have an advantage because of having a larger current cast.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s like I’m Kreskin. I’m glad I was the first to point out on here that the voters only watch the first few minutes of a reel, which is exactly why Casey Moss lost.

It’s good they capped each show to have the same amount of voters to bring credibility back to the Daytime Emmys. I have erased all of those years when Days was snubbed for Emmy nominations because of the voter fraud by the other shows. I don’t think those years should count. The fact that GH has the most Drama Series wins (bc of cheating) means nothing to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

This failure to take voting seriously is quite annoying. Are Daytime Emmys like the Tonys and Oscars where public relations folk are allowed to vote? If so, I think Tom needs to seriously consider using his substantial influence to push voting rights to someone like Freeman Griffin.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.