Home Forums Daytime TV 2019 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

2019 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
alokin
linecelts
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Friday, July 5, 2019

Best Guest Performer: Inga Cadranel (Harmony, General Hospital)

Jason visits Harmony in jail. He is pretending to be a lawyer, she plays along but actually knows that he is Jason Morgan/Jason Quartermaine – all about him! He fills her in on the murder of her husband. She gives a tremendous performance in her scenes as she slowly realizes that Shiloh isn’t who she has thought he is…

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

This aired some weeks ago, but I was quite moved by it and it’s stayed with me:

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

General Hospital

Outstanding Drama Series
    Outstanding Lead Actress: Tamara Braun
    Outstanding Lead Actress: Laura Wright
    Outstanding Supporting Actress: Vernee Watson
    Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series
    Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series (Denise Van Cleave)
    Outstanding Music Composition/Direction for a Drama Series

Honorable mentions: Eden McCoy, Maurice Benard, William Lipton, Billy Miller

Upon arriving in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, Kim gets reassurance from Drew when she questions whether she’s strong enough to bid Oscar a final farewell and scatter his ashes at Mt. Kilimanjaro. Josslyn, still grappling with Oscar’s loss, seeks guidance from Carly, Sonny and Cameron. Carly and Sonny visit their late son Morgan’s grave. Knowing that she may be Jordan’s last hope, Stella uses all her powers of persuasion to convince “Ryan” to donate his kidney to Jordan.

I like how this episode carefully balanced the many heavier, emotionally-laden and heartfelt moments (such as those between Kim and Drew, Joss and Cameron, Carly and Sonny) with the mystery set up right at the start in Ryan’s hospital room, over who came in and administered the injection into Ryan’s IV (and the reason why) which subsequently caused him to have an allergic reaction; and with this element of suspense that guided the remainder of the episode, heightened by the possibility of an underlying plot to switch out Ryan’s body with Kevin’s. The build-up of scenes (cleverly shot by Denise Van Cleave) during which Stella tactfully pleads her case (in what is an absolutely delicious monologue delivered to perfection by Vernee Watson) and is finally able to secure Ryan’s kidney for Jordan, was exciting yet (surprisingly) also comedic (I couldn’t help but chuckle when “Ryan” quips, “having a kidney removed without anesthesia would be less torturous than listening to [Stella]” to which Dr. Finn acerbically replies, “Oh, so you’d like to forgo the anesthesia?”).

Anna Theresa Cascio et al. crafted here what I find to be one of GH’s best scripts of the year, and with profound lines like the one spoken by Cameron when he urges Joss to not give up practicing with her guitar, “Music lets you say the things you don’t have the words to say”, one doesn’t have to search far to see why. The masterly dialogue between Carly and Joss detailing a mother’s sage advice to her daughter about approaches in dealing with her grief, juxtaposed with the conversation between Kim and Drew where she describes the difficulties she’s faced so far on her journey in coming to terms with Oscar’s loss, was beautifully written and performed particularly by Laura Wright and Tamara Braun.

Another highlight in this episode: the heart-tugging piano piece that begins immediately following Kim’s admission that she knew losing Oscar would be the most painful, unimaginable experience of her life for which she didn’t know how to prepare herself, where Kim relates, “I’m not the kind of person who likes to get caught off-guard. I am a doctor. I like to traffic in procedure, in facts. This isn’t about me being a doctor. I’m a mother… who lost her son.”

Of course, a personal highlight was my favorite theme scored to the scene where Joss discloses to Cameron that she doesn’t want to “move on or get over Oscar” but “remember him exactly the way he was and is”. Hats off once again to the GH music team! The ethereal music accompanying everyone’s discovery of the season’s first fireflies made for an exquisite touch, and I love how the writers brilliantly tied in the symbolism of the firefly with both Morgan and Oscar’s memory. Interestingly, right on the day this episode aired I also spotted the first fireflies illuminating the woods along my backyard throughout the night, so it was one of those peculiar real-life parallels that served as yet another reminder, however small it may be, that life really does move in huge, strange circles.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Best Supporting Actress: Suzanne Rogers (Maggie, Days Of Our Lives)

Maggie finds a bottle of booze hidden under the couch and is tempted to drink a glass; Sarah catches her and they have a heart to heart where Maggie tells of how hard it has been to lose 30 years of sobriety and how she is tempted to drink on a daily basis. This would be a good addition to her earlier scenes of this storyline.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Best Supporting Actress: Beth Maitland (Traci, The Young and the Restless)

Traci and Cane go out to a launch party for her book and are dressed up for the occasion. I am citing Beth for the final scene where she talks about why she hasn’t been relationship oriented since the death of her beloved daughter Colleen. Very sweet and affecting (:

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ I concur, Beth Maitland was splendid in that final scene. I would also go ahead and cite Jess Walton, whose return visits, no matter how short, are always such a treat. Jill’s conversation with Billy about Delia really got to me, and Jess just aces the part where Jill encourages Billy to be the man that Delia taught him to be. Jason Thompson was excellent here and throughout this entire episode as well. He does such a wonderful job conveying so much emotion with his eyes alone, and Billy’s sense of loss is really palpable. And, of course, Heather Tom! She did a fantastic job directing this episode! I love how she’s already developing her own very distinct style. Heather just continues to wow and inspire me!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Friday, July 26, 2019

Best Younger Actress or Guest Actress: Chloe Lanier (Nelle, General Hospital)

Nelle is in her prison cell and talking to her cell-mate; she is figuring out that the grandchild Harmony is discussing (“Wiley”) is actually her son Jonah. She learns about Shiloh and how he is threatening to take her son away from Lucas and Brad. She later meets with Michael – will she tell him the truth? To be continued….

Not sure which category she belongs in or would submit in, but she has been doing great work during this storyline!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Monday, July 29, 2019

Best Supporting Actress: Kassie DePaiva (Eve, Days Of Our Lives)

I haven’t been enjoying the character of Eve lately but I have to give credit where it is due in terms of her acting prowess – she was terrific in her scenes today where she is in conflict with Jack over the vials of serum that could restore his memory – will she smash them or will she not smash them? Once she smashes them then it’s a scene of sadness for Eve as she realizes that she is not loved by Jack. Kassie is one of my very favorite actresses and while the writing hasn’t been great for her lately she transcended it with today’s performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

Tuesday, July 30th

The Bold and the Beautiful
    Outstanding Younger Actor in a Drama Series: Henry Joseph Samiri (Douglas Forrester)

Douglas in Phoebe’s room and Liam comes up and Douglas reveals to him that Phoebe is Beth.
    I hate this storyline but I will give this little young future star props 👍👍👍👍🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

The Young and the Restless
    Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Jason Thompson (Billy Abbott)

Billy spirals, takes sleeping pills and awakens at the Chancellor’s mansion and see a writing on the wall saying, ‘Stop Adam’s
    I think Jason Thompson is doing a fabulous job with this storyline.

I haven’t been on this board in a while and I believe it’s been a LONG while since someone has a citation from B&B

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  linecelts.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  linecelts.
    ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ Agreed on Jason Thompson, though I suspect he’ll once again submit in Lead Actor. And yes, the sweet young fellow that plays Douglas on B&B has been doing really wonderful job, especially over the last week. His ability to sense out which emotions to convey (and when) is quite remarkable for a kid his age.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

Come to think of it, it would be Lead for Jason Thompson.

Throughout the week, The Young and the Restless
    Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Mark Grossman (Adam Newman). Adam’s manipulations. Adam is a snake but Mark Grossman is doing a fabulous job portraying him .

Yesterday (8/1) and Wednesday (7/31)
    Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Scott Clifton (Liam Spencer)
    Liam learns Douglas was right, went to the bedroom, holds Phoebe (Beth) and cries with joy. Next episode, he confronts Flo and got her to admit the truth in front of Wyatt.
    I never understood why Scott didn’t get nominated for lead actor this year at the daytime Emmys since he was all over B&B last year.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  linecelts.
    ReplyCopy URL
    BTN
    Participant
    Topics:

August 7 2019
    Katherine Kelly Lang
    The bold and the beautiful
    Supporting actress

Brooke wants answers from Flo about how she could keep the secret Beth was alive

Nice zoom in on her as she delivers her speech!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Best Actor: Roger Howarth (Franco, General Hospital)

Franco tries to persuade Franco to implant Drew’s memories in him instead of step-son Cameron. Ridiculous as the story is Roger did a great job of explaining why Shiloh should let him switch places with Cam. Along with the great material earlier in the year when he was conning the serial killer (Ryan) and was stabbed by him he has a tremendous amount of material from 2019 for a great Emmy reel.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

August 7 2019
    Katherine Kelly Lang
    The bold and the beautiful
    Supporting actress

Brooke wants answers from Flo about how she could keep the secret Beth was alive

Nice zoom in on her as she delivers her speech!

Agree. KKL did an excellent job and the same for today.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

August 9th
    Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy Forrester)

https://youtu.be/deRZVKgefuA

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

Thursday, August 8th and Friday, August 9th, 2019
    General Hospital
    Outstanding Younger Actor: William Lipton

Summary: Cameron is kidnapped by Shiloh. In a warehouse room, he is restrained and prepped by Dr. Cabot to receive Drew’s memories. Franco intercedes and eventually convinces Shiloh and Cabot to use him instead. Cameron is horrified by the turn of events.

Analysis: This is Lipton’s best work to date. The level of emotion he demonstrated throughout these episodes was very genuine and even exceeded his work during Oscar’s final days. These episodes would make a strong reel.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.