Home Forums Daytime TV 2019 DAYTIME EMMY REACTIONS

2019 DAYTIME EMMY REACTIONS

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
linecelts
StallionCity
Andrea
  • pietro_danton
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s “something rotten in the state of Denmark”………………….. Totally asinine outcome to the million nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Maura better on ATWT as Carly, but I also like her as Ava on GH. I think the Emmy voters likes Woods reel better to vote for her to win. Maybe West’s reel was too over the top. Idk I’m just guessing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mootzic
    Participant
    Topics:

Kind of a whiplash night last night, but I am happy with the tech/drama results. People mentioned the relatively small cast presence, but no one knew Y&R would win. Y&R didn’t even know it would win and it must have been assumed it was a long shot they would. Then again, it could have been because of Young. I remember Chuck Pratt winning for best writing at 2017 Daytime Emmys despite the flack many gave him, and wondered if something could happen this year.

Here is what I really liked. Shemar Moore giving recognition to Y&R for what they did this year. In 2019. That felt good to hear and after the rough two years the show has had, I am glad the show won its 10th Emmy.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mootzic.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Mootzic.

Shannon Mootz

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

Mal made mistakes ESPECIALLY getting rid of Doug Davidson (Paul Williams), thankfully JG brought him back, but he did win Y&R the trifecta.

Now come to think of it, I did notice the cast presence was small………..

If they submit the legendary Neil Winters (Kristoff St. John) death for next year’s Emmys then it could be their 11th Drama Series win.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  linecelts.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Kendall
    Participant
    Topics:

Maura West was robbed..point blank.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

Kyler Pettit was on days for Two weeks last year, so how was he eligible for the emmy? There should be a rule that you must be on the show for a certain amount of time to get nominated…

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t begrudge Kyler Pettis his nomination or his win. He was on for a very short amount of time in 2018, but really he was playing out the denouement of the huge shooting story from 2017. Unlike James Reynolds and Casey Moss, his best material in the story came at the end of it, but it would seem arbitrary and unfair for him not to be eligible based on where the calendar year begins and ends when he was an important part of a months-long story.

That said, with the guest rules having been expanded to include returning actors as well, I wouldn’t mind if the academy set some limits or at least guidance to funnel actors into supporting/lead categories based on screen time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Scoopster
    Participant
    Topics:

You need to be on the show for at least 2 episodes to qualify.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Still on cloud 9 that Jacqueline won! She had a phenomenal year with so much challenging material to play, and wholeheartedly deserved to take home the trophy. I love how utterly surprised she was when her name was called, and was practically beaming on stage (plus, all of my Logan girls looked absolutely stunning!)

Even though Kyler Pettis wasn’t my first choice, he is certainly the most seasoned actor in the bunch, and he was incredibly effective in Theo’s farewell scenes. So I’m okay with his win even though I’ve never particularly been a fan of his acting style (his choices in portraying a young man with autism too often came across as rather limited and unrealistic, though perhaps blame should not be placed so much on his interpretation as what was written on the page for the character).

I get that most here were bummed about Maura West’s loss. I’ve always been a huge fan of her work and feel that she has turned in so many brilliant performances over the years. It should come as no wonder that she’s a multiple Emmy-winner. But that may have just as much been a curse as it is a blessing. Judges this year may have felt she’s already been amply rewarded, with a recent Lead Actress Emmy for a character that is not only relatively new to the 56-year-old GH canvas, but for the larger part, a villainous one (and very rarely does such a type of role translate to an Emmy win). Daniel also mentioned something very interesting in one of his recent articles, that no GH actress has ever won two Lead Actress Emmys, and had Maura won again this year, she would’ve been the first to break that spell. And let’s not forget that Maura won not one but THREE Lead Actress trophies in the span of just eleven years.

Of course, some judges may have simply taken issue as I did with Maura’s submission. What she displays isn’t anything particularly novel that we haven’t seen her do many times before. Ava gets to run the whole gamut of emotions, but the reel’s true selling point (as is so often the case) rests in Maura’s trademark explosive brusqueness, a staple of most of her past reels (Carly’s alcoholism and intervention scenes on ATWT most prominently come to mind). It was so refreshing to see Maura win one of her two ATWT Lead Actress Emmys the year of Carly/Holden’s affair because it was for work that was so different than we’d been used to seeing from her up to that point, with so many varied, emotional undertones that she captured beautifully in her performances. I think the big challenge going forward (ie., next year’s submission) will be for the GH writers to come up with compelling story that will shed light on a completely undiscovered side to Ava. There’s a potential goldmine of possibilities in connection with Ava’s past, for instance, that the writers have yet to tap into.

ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still on cloud 9 on Y&R’s trifecta win even though people didn’t think they would win.

A lot of people had DAYS winning Drama Series and Writing but after seeing what they submitted, I knew they wouldn’t win!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Daytimeemmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Still on cloud 9 that Jacqueline won! She had a phenomenal year with so much challenging material to play, and wholeheartedly deserved to take home the trophy. I love how utterly surprised she was when her name was called, and was practically beaming on stage (plus, all of my Logan girls looked absolutely stunning!)

Even though Kyler Pettis wasn’t my first choice, he is certainly the most seasoned actor in the bunch, and he was incredibly effective in Theo’s farewell scenes. So I’m okay with his win even though I’ve never particularly been a fan of his acting style (his choices in portraying a young man with autism too often came across as rather limited and unrealistic, though perhaps blame should not be placed so much on his interpretation as what was written on the page for the character).

I get that most here were bummed about Maura West’s loss. I’ve always been a huge fan of her work and feel that she has turned in so many brilliant performances over the years. It should come as no wonder that she’s a multiple Emmy-winner. But that may have just as much been a curse as it is a blessing. Judges this year may have felt she’s already been amply rewarded, with a recent Lead Actress Emmy for a character that is not only relatively new to the 56-year-old GH canvas, but for the larger part, a villainous one (and very rarely does such a type of role translate to an Emmy win). Daniel also mentioned something very interesting in one of his recent articles, that no GH actress has ever won two Lead Actress Emmys, and had Maura won again this year, she would’ve been the first to break that spell. And let’s not forget that Maura won not one but THREE Lead Actress trophies in the span of just eleven years.

Of course, some judges may have simply taken issue as I did with Maura’s submission. What she displays isn’t anything particularly novel that we haven’t seen her do many times before. Ava gets to run the whole gamut of emotions, but the reel’s true selling point (as is so often the case) rests in Maura’s trademark explosive brusqueness, a staple of most of her past reels (Carly’s alcoholism and intervention scenes on ATWT most prominently come to mind). It was so refreshing to see Maura win one of her two ATWT Lead Actress Emmys the year of Carly/Holden’s affair because it was for work that was so different than we’d been used to seeing from her up to that point, with so many varied, emotional undertones that she captured beautifully in her performances. I think the big challenge going forward (ie., next year’s submission) will be for the GH writers to come up with compelling story that will shed light on a completely undiscovered side to Ava. There’s a potential goldmine of possibilities in connection with Ava’s past, for instance, that the writers have yet to tap into.

That’s not how the Emmys operated in the past. If you are good, you are good and it does not matter how many times you win. If the old pre-2008 panel was judging, she would have won one of these last three years and JMW’s win is about like DTB’s 2010 win. With four soaps on the air, so many undeserving emmy wins have taken place. I don’t feel acting is what it used to be and seeing these recent nominations goes to show that. No one complained when ES won six emmys or KZ won 4. We no longer have dominant winners anymore other than this GH actress. As for playing a villain, Eileen Davidson and Cynthia Watros may disagree.

And Maura won for the alcohol story and the Carjack breakup. The Carly/Holden affair was in 2008 and I don’t believe it was eligible for 2009. I don’t believe she was in the running for the win. That was between Haskell and Morgan.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.