Home Forums Daytime TV 2019 Goldies awards category placements discussion

2019 Goldies awards category placements discussion

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ True, but Daniel likely has most of the actor profiles already in the Predictions Center database from all the previous Daytime Emmys years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean Phillips
    Participant
    Topics:

How is Donnell Turner lead? He’s always supporting someone else’s crisis and the only thing he has been given that’s close to his own character’s is Jordan’s transplant?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^I agree, I personally think Donnell Turner is supporting…

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

O.K., so here is my current thinking with 4 or 5 nominees per show:

Best Actor:
    B&B: Matthew Atkinson, Scott Clifton, Don Diamont and Thorsten Kaye
    Days: Matthew Ashford, Brandon Barash, Greg Vaughan, and Robert Scott Wilson (Eric Martsolf?)
    GH: Maurice Benard, Steve Burton, Roger Howarth and Coby Tyler McLaughlin (Jon Lindstrom and/or Billy J Miller?)
    Y&R: Peter Bergman, Eric Braeden, Mark Grossman, and Jason Thompson (Joshua Morrow?)

Best Actress:
    B&B: Katherine Kelly Lang, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, Anikka Noelle, and Heather Tom
    Days: Kristian Alfonso, Camila Banus, Stacey Haiduk, Melissa Reeves, and Arianne Zucker
    GH: Genie Francis, Rebecca Herbst, Kelly Monaco, Maura West, and Laura Wright (Tamara Braun?)
    Y&R: Sharon Case, Melissa Clare Egan, Amelia Heinle, and Melody Thomas Scott

We have a few more weeks to decide…

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

My thinking with Donnell Turner is that he tends to get involved in whatever big story is happening, and even though he’s not the center of that story, he’s the driving force in his own part of the story. He’s a person who is usually the focus of the scenes he’s in rather than being there as a background person, an accessory, or a functionary. Laura is kind of the same way, where she hasn’t really been the main focus of her storylines (even with the Ryan story, it was much more about Ryan and Ava than her and Kevin) but she’s often taking an action that isn’t in the main part of the story, but it still amounts to a good amount of screen time and scenes where she’s a driving force. But I knew even when I suggested it that most wouldn’t see Donnell as a lead, and I totally get that. It’s just my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

^^^ I agree with that assessment and have also come to regard Donnell as a lead, though I do completely understand why others might think of him as more a supporting player. So I’m on board with his placement in supporting, if the majority here sees it that way. I’d consider the five leads to then be: Maurice Benard, Steve Burton, Michael Easton, Roger Howarth and James Patrick Stuart.

For the Y&R ladies, I’d personally swap out Melody Thomas Scott (who’s had considerably less screen time this year relative to the year prior) with Michelle Stafford and Gina Tognoni (who both have had lead material while playing the role of Phyllis).

As for the DAYS ladies, I feel like Linsey Godfrey should also be included in this group (perhaps replacing Melissa Reeves, who I consider as less of a lead when compared to the big chunk of screen time allotted to Godfrey this past year).

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^alokin, what was the lead material for Gina Tognoni and Michelle Stafford? I don’t recall anything?

Yes, Linsey Godfrey is definitely lead. My dislike of her made me forget all about her!

Should we just skip the four from each show pre-nominees and just go back to the old way of doing it? The reason I proposed the four per show had to do with Karla Mosley, who got votes in both lead and supporting and just missed a Goldies nomination in both categories several years ago. But we don’t seem to be agreeing this year as to who exactly is a lead!

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I just don’t like that with the old way, something like the Karla Mosley situation could happen again. We could change it so that a vote in either category will just count in the category where you got the most votes, but that opens up the possibility where voters could deliberately give someone votes in a category they know won’t stick — like if I had already decided who I was voting for in lead actress, but voted for, say, Kristian Alfonso in supporting because I knew those votes would also funnel up to lead. It creates the potential for weirdness. Can we compile a list of anyone who is lead/borderline lead and then do a quick vote amongst ourselves to decide where they go?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

O.K., so here is a list of all the actors that have been cited as lead by at least one of us; perhaps we could each choose our four and see where that gets us?

Best Actor:

The Bold and the Beautiful:
    Matthew Atkinson
    Scott Clifton
    Don Diamont
    Thorsten Kaye

Days Of Our Lives: (5)
    Matthew Ashford
    Brandon Barash
    Eric Martsolf
    Greg Vaughan
    Robert Scott Wilson

General Hospital: (9)
    Maurice Benard
    Steve Burton
    Michael Easton
    Roger Howarth
    Jon Lindstrom
    Coby Ryan McLaughlin
    Billy J Miller
    James Patrick Stuart
    Donnell Turner

The Young and the Restless: (5)
    Peter Bergman
    Eric Braeden
    Mark Grossman
    Bryton James
    Jason Thompson

Best Actress:
    The Bold and the Beautiful:
    Katherine Kelly Lang
    Jacqueline MacInnes Wood
    Annika Noelle
    Heather Tom

Days Of Our Lives: (6)
    Kristian Alfonso
    Camila Banus
    Linsey Godfrey
    Stacey Haiduk
    Melissa Reeves
    Arianne Zucker

General Hospital: (6)
    Tamara Braun
    Genie Francis
    Rebecca Herbst
    Kelly Monaco
    Maura West
    Laura Wright

The Young and the Restless: (6)
    Sharon Case
    Melissa Clare Egan
    Amelia Heinle
    Michelle Stafford
    Melody Thomas Scott
    Gina Tognoni

If we each choose the four we most believe belong in the four slots, we may wind up with 5 for a show or two, but that could work. Best Actor from GH is where we have the most decisions to make, with 9 suggestions cited in this thread.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks, Freeman. Just a quick question for clarification: We’re picking the four we believe should most be considered lead performers, right, and not the four we most want to be nominated as lead performers? In other words, if we’re choosing between two actors, we should pick the one who we think is more of a lead on the show, even if we believe the other is a stronger performer and more deserving of being nominated for a Goldie?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^Yes, the four we think are the most lead, not which performers we personally like best. Perhaps there will be consensus about the four but maybe there won’t be! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Here’s how I’ve broken it down (with the four per show quota and agreeing on the four ladies/gents already determined for B&B):

DAYS:

Kristian Alfonso
    Linsey Godfrey
    Stacy Haiduk
    Arianne Zucker

(Camila Banus in supporting)

Matthew Ashford
    Brandon Barash
    Greg Vaughan
    Robert Scott Wilson

(Eric Martsolf in supporting; though in terms of screen time, he and Barash or Vaughan are pretty much interchangeable)

GH:

Genie Francis
    Kelly Monaco
    Maura West
    Laura Wright

(Tamara Braun and Rebecca Herbst in supporting; this was the hardest category for me to judge in terms of screen time)

Maurice Benard
    Steve Burton
    Michael Easton
    Roger Howarth

(James Patrick Stuart in supporting; though again, in terms of screen time, he and Burton and Coby Ryan McLaughlin seem like they were on an equal playing field)

Y&R:

Sharon Case
    Melissa Claire Egan
    Amelia Heinle
    Michelle Stafford

(I’m fine with Gina Tognoni’s placement in supporting, even though she was a lead player throughout the first quarter of the year with J.T.’s murder trial, Phyllis taking Christine’s plea deal and reinventing herself career-wise after being ousted from her Jabot CEO position)

Peter Bergman
    Mark Grossman
    Joshua Morrow
    Jason Thompson

(Bryton James in supporting, especially when compared to Morrow who’s had lead material for much of the entire year; Eric Braeden also belongs here for the same reason I cited earlier with regards to Melody Thomas Scott)

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks Alokin! Here are mine:

Days:
    Matthew Ashford, Brandon Barash, Greg Vaughan and Robert Scott Wilson –

(placing Martsolf in borderline lead/support more than any of those four)

I simply could not break the tie and have five actresses from Days who I consider to be lead: Kristian Alfonso, Camila Banus, Linsey Godfrey, Stacey Haiduk and Arianne Zucker

GH:
    Maurice Benard, Steve Burton, Roger Howarth and Coby Tyler McLaughlin – I place McLaughlin in lead because the show revolved around his character for most of the year.

Rebecca Herbst, Kelly Monaco, Maura West and Laura Wright – I chose Herbst over Francis – despite liking Francis more – because Liz and Franco had two major stories that lasted throughout the year

Y&R:
    Eric Braeden, Mark Grossman, Joshua Morrow and Jason Thompson – I chose to demote Peter Bergman because he hasn’t had all that much to do in 2019, and Morrow has had major stories throughout the year.

Sharon Case, Melissa Clare Egan, Amelia Heinle and Melody Thomas Scott – actually the last three all feel like supporting to me, but I think that is even truer of Stafford and Tognoni. I suppose if this is based on screen time the actress who plays Lola has been a lead but I don’t see her as having significant impact? (Reflecting on Y&R the actresses almost all feel like supporting players in 2019, with the exceptions of Sharon Case and Melissa Clare Egan – it’s been a strange year on Y&R)

Looking forward to hearing from some others! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

O.K., so unless anyone has huge objections this is a list of the potential Best Actor and Best Actress Goldies pre-nominees – I have taken your advice and made it five from the 3 hour shows and 4 for the half hour show:

B&B: Matthew Atkinson, Scott Clifton, Don Diamont and Thorsten Kaye

Days: Matthew Ashford, Brandon Barash, Eric Martsolf, Greg Vaughan and Robert Scott Wilson

GH: Maurice Benard, Steve Burton, Michael Easton, Roger Howarth and James Patrick Stuart

Y&R: Peter Bergman, Eric Braeden, Mark Grossman, Joshua Morrow and Jason Thompson

Best Actress:
    B&B: Katherine Kelly Lang, Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, Annika Noelle, and Heather Tom

Days: Kristian Alfonso, Camila Banus, Linsey Godfrey, Stacey Haiduk, and Arianne Zucker

GH: Genie Francis, Rebecca Herbst, Kelly Monaco, Maura West and Laura Wright

Y&R: Sharon Case, Melissa Clare Egan, Amelia Heinle, Michelle Stafford, and Melody Thomas Scott

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean Phillips
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m good with these placements.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.