Home Forums Daytime TV 2019 Goldies winners announced! (:

2019 Goldies winners announced! (:

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks to everyone who voted this year. These are our choices for the best for 2018:

Best Drama Series: DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Best Ensemble: DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Best Casting: GENERAL HOSPITAL

Best Directing: GENERAL HOSPITAL

Best Writing: DAYS OF OUR LIVES

Best Actress: MAURA WEST (Ava, General Hospital)

Best Actor: CHANDLER MASSEY (Will, Days Of Our Lives)

Best Supporting Actress: (a 3-way tie) MARLA ADAMS (Dina, The Young and the Restless), KASSIE DePAIVA (Eve, Days Of Our Lives) and MISHAEL MORGAN (Hillary, The Young and the Restless)

Best Supporting Actor: JON LINDSTROM (Kevin and Ryan, General Hospital)

Best Younger Actress: CHLOE LANIER (Nelle, General Hospital)

Best Younger Actor: CASEY MOSS (J.J., Days Of Our Lives)

Best Guest/Limited Performer: ALISON SWEENEY (Sami, Days Of Our lives)

Lifetime Achievement: SUSAN SEAFORTH HAYES

Legacy Award: (tie) PEGGY McCAY and MICHAEL ZASLOW

Performer of the Year: MAURA WEST (Ava, General Hospital)

EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

A strong set of winners! Given that there were two ties, it seems like some of the races were close?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

The races that were close were Best Actor (two vote win over castmate Tyler Christopher), Guest/Limited Performer (one vote win over castmates Stacey Haiduk and Martha Madison), Lifetime Achievement (one vote win over all 3 other nominees!).

The largest margins were for Maura West (for both Best Actress and Performer), Jon Lindstrom, Casey Moss and Chloe Lanier.

Days won by a landslide for Best Writing, while GH won big for Directing. The others were comfortable wins.

The top four for Performer of the Year were Maura West, Chandler Massey, Kirsten Storms and Jon Lindstrom.

B&B got skunked for Best Drama Series and Best Casting. All of the acting nominees got at least one vote.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kendall
    Participant
    Topics:

Good winners list. Is MW the first to win Lead Actress for 2 different roles?

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, I believe Maura West is the first to win for two different roles in Bet Actress.

The strangest category was Supporting Actress. In the first round of voting Michelle Stafford got the most points by a comfortable margin, but then hardly anybody voted for her in the second round. The 3-way tie happened on the very last day of voting with the last 5 votes! (Kassie DePaiva was looking to be the sole winner until those last 5 voters had their say).

Eden McCoy had a one point lead over Chloe Lanier in the first round, but then Ms. Lanier won in a landslide in the final round of voting.

There was a four way tie in Lifetime Achievement until the very last voter broke the tie and Susan Seaforth Hayes became the sole winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Maura West won her 2nd and 3rd Goldies; she previously won for playing Carly on As The World Turns (2006).

Kassie DePaiva has now won 3 Goldies in 3 different categories, Best Actress (2015), Best Guest Performer (2016) and Best Supporting Actress (2018)

Casey Moss has won a 3rd time for Younger Actor, and for the 2nd year in a row.

Alison Sweeney has won her 3rd Goldies, and 2nd in a row for Best Guest/Limited Performer, and previously won for Best Actress (2014).

Chandler Massey has won his 2nd Goldies, having won for Younger Actor (2011) previously.

First wins for Marla Adams, Mishael Morgan, Chloe Lanier (who had lost by one vote last year), and Jon Lindstrom.

Susan Seaforth Hayes, Peggy McCay and Michael Zaslow were all first time Goldies winners.

Days and GH both won 7 Goldies, while due to a 3 way tie Y&R won 2 Goldies this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

Congrats to all the first-time winners! Love that we had two ties (one of which was even a three-way tie)! Most happy that Susan Seaforth Hayes can now add a Goldie to her Lifetime Achievement Emmy!

I can’t decide what had me more surprised, that every acting nominee got at least one vote (which is incredible) or that it was a landslide victory towards the end for Chloe Lanier, who had such limited screen time last year (kind of baffling that all the DAYS support didn’t carry over into the younger actress field; a win for Victoria Konefal, who really proved her acting chops and range over the course of the entire year, would’ve been more worthy, jmho).

Anyways, a solid set of winners. And way to go Maura on being crowned the Goldies’ first-ever Performer of the Year!

ReplyCopy URL
    alokin
    Participant
    Topics:

B&B got skunked for Best Drama Series and Best Casting.

… well, as it was in my case, certainly not by choice. But seeing how the results of the Goldies Nominations phase sadly (and unfairly) put B&B at a clear disadvantage, I knew that in my final ballot I had to vote strategically lol

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFanatic101
    Participant
    Topics:

I just started an account here at Golderby because I am an award show nut!  I have always had such a deep love for the daytime drama genre and I’ve watched my shows religiously for decades (Days is the only soap left I watch consistently).  I came into this thread thinking I’d disagree with at least some of the choices, but I cannot find a thing wrong with them.  Every single winner seems to line up with my opinions about the quality of the shows and acting performances in 2018.

Good for you guys giving my hometown boy Chandler Massey some love.  I don’t know why he was snubbed in the Daytime Emmy pre-nominations this year.  It boggles the mind.

Long story short, GREAT job!  I loved the list!

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

I totally missed voting for these. I would’ve voted for Days in all categories which means no tie for Supporting Actress, KASSIE DePAIVA (Eve, Days Of Our Lives) takes it.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFanatic101
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, Kassie is an absolute sweetheart.  She’s one of the daytime performers that will interact with me on Twitter.  That’s a rarity.  Martha Madison is also great about commenting and liking tweets.

On top of that, DePaiva is a powerhouse actress with an explosive screen presence.  She is, in my own humble opinion, the most underrated actress in this entire genre.  She hasn’t won a single Emmy, and she should have taken home 3 or 4 by now.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Kassie has two Emmy nominations – she was one of the eight nominees for 2004 and lost to castmate Erika Slezak (her 6th and final Emmy for OLTL). She was also nominated for her work superb work in 2015 – imo she lost because she chose the wrong material for her reel, two scenes that were too similar instead of contrasting one grief scene with a fiery confrontation scene with Jennifer, which I think would have been a better combination of scenes. She lost again to a castmate, Mary Beth Evans as Kayla, who contrasted a grief type scene (telling Bo he was dying) with a silly (dumb) scene of Kayla and Steve in a closet. I didn’t agree with their decision at all, but I am convinced Mary Beth won because she had two very different scenes in her reel. (I am trying to remember who the other three nominees were that year?)

I shared our winners list on a Facebook page and they were all complaining that Max Gail ought to have won our Supporting Actor award – he was 1 point shy of a nomination, Chad Duell’s voters ranked him higher and he got the fourth slot instead of Mr. Gail. Jon Lindstrom won in a landslide – I personally thought Lindstrom belonged in Best Actor but others told me they didn’t think he was a lead so we placed him in supporting. He submitted himself in lead for the Emmys.

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Kassie has two Emmy nominations – she was one of the eight nominees for 2004 and lost to castmate Erika Slezak (her 6th and final Emmy for OLTL). She was also nominated for her work superb work in 2015 – imo she lost because she chose the wrong material for her reel, two scenes that were too similar instead of contrasting one grief scene with a fiery confrontation scene with Jennifer, which I think would have been a better combination of scenes. She lost again to a castmate, Mary Beth Evans as Kayla, who contrasted a grief type scene (telling Bo he was dying) with a silly (dumb) scene of Kayla and Steve in a closet. I didn’t agree with their decision at all, but I am convinced Mary Beth won because she had two very different scenes in her reel. (I am trying to remember who the other three nominees were that year?)

Finola Hughes, Maura West & Tracey Bregman. Most people here thought Maura, Kassie & Finola were in a tight three way race for 1st place with Tracey in a distant 4th place (great acting but super short reel) and Evans in dead last with a reel that felt supporting and had one strong dramatic scene combined with a silly comedic scene that belonged no where near an Emmy reel. Still have no clue how she pulled off that win. It’s a shame because she would have made a deserving winner 2 years later with the Joey/Tripp/Ava story but wasn’t even nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^my memory is that most of us were either predicting Maura or Kassie and most of us were surprised when Mary Beth won. It was particularly surprising because she had won her first acting Emmy earlier that week for The Bay and it seemed odd that she got both in the same year. I really wish Kassie had an Emmy. I am rooting for Kirsten Storms to win Supporting Actress this year but I certainly would be happy for Kassie to finally win too! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Ah, yes, I’m remembering that year a little better now. I did think Kassie would take the win and had the strongest reel, even though I agreed with Freeman that she didn’t put her best foot forward with two similar submissions. I believe I had Mary Beth Evans in third place that year. I remember I had ranked Bregman last, because her scenes were great but super short. I think I had Finola second and Maura fourth. (If I’m remembering correctly, this was when Ava was in the hospital and Finn was secretly treating her, nope, sorry, Silas was secretly treating her.) That was a strong year, but I was bummed Kassie didn’t win, even though I was happy for Mary Beth, because Kassie had been so amazing all year and had like 30 good episodes she could have submitted. Her best work that year was in the story with JJ, Paige and Jennifer, but she submitted all work around Paige’s death, which was really well performed of course but not nearly as interesting from a writing perspective.

Anywho, yes, these are great wins, and thanks for the info on how close things were, Freeman! I’m not surprised that Chloe Lanier was not leading in the nomination round but then pulled ahead at the end, because she was surprisingly easy to forget about until you remember she was on the show still for months in 2018. I did also think Victoria Konefal was great in 2018, but she doesn’t seem to get quite as much traction as some of the other younger actresses for whatever reason.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.