Home Forums Daytime TV 2020 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

2020 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • Profile picture
    ericjoseph33
    Topics:

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood as Steffy Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful

Synopsis: Thomas comes over and checks on Steffy and her well-being after her motorcycle accident. Thomas brings up Liam and Hope, and how they are with Kelly, Steffy snaps at at him for making things weird.  Steffy tells Thomas every breath hurts, and reminds him about the life she had planned to have with Liam is not existing. After Thomas goes, Steffy calls Liam’s phone as she is wondering if Kelly will return home. Hope answers and explains Kelly wants to stay the night with them. Steffy agrees. Steffy goes out and opens a beer, and flashback to the accident and life with Liam before washing down her last pain pill with the beer.

If today’s episode didn’t prove to many why Wood earned that Emmy in 2019, I don’t know what will. Wood stays being such a riveting actress. She displayed the frustration and the pain of not being as functional as she could be for her daughter.  She illustrates Steffy’s emotional and physical confinement. Her anger to Thomas was palpable, but then she was able to delve into the true root cause of Steffy’s pain. She was able to show that despite that Steffy kept saying she was fine, but deep down she isnt. Her eye work was amazing to express such emotion.  She also did such a great job at the end of the episode. When scripts give actors no dialogue or actors to bounce off, and they are forced to act alone, it can be very difficult and challenging, but Wood proves that she was up for that feat. She was able to showcase that pain of losing a lover, marriage, and a fear that she will lose her daughter, or that her daughter won’t enjoy spending time with her. Fantastic work, and performance by Jacqui, and I am sure there will be more to come as the drug addiction story unravels.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Best Younger Actress: Eden McCoy (Josslyn, GH)

Josslyn visits Mike and imagines her future with and without him. Very heartfelt and moving, this would be a terrific reel for her all on its own. Sept. 11, 2020

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

It’s also a good job by Max Gail as it’s the only time recently he’s been allowed to (for obvious reasons) play his character as cognizant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

^^^ Laura Wright and Maurice Benard were wonderful in this episode as well. I’d definitely also add a writing citation for the imaginative script and moving dialogue (a marvelous job once again by Anna Theresa Cascio, along with Kate Hall and Elizabeth Korte), and Denise Van Cleave did some nice directing work here too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

General Hospital
    Drama Series
    Drama Series – Writing
    Lead Actor – Maurice Benard
    Guest Performer – Vernee Watson is she eligible here?

Talk about POWERFUL!
    This episode really tugged at the heartstrings and took viewers on an incredible rollercoaster of emotions as viewers were brought into the world of the final hours of a person living with Alzheimer’s Disease. For 2 years we’ve watched Mike Corbin and his family reel with the realities that the end could come at any moment.

Kudos to the writing and producing teams on the choices made throughout this episode. Beginning with Stella telling Sony how to make Mike more comfortable by playing some music, turning down the lights in his room to wetting Mike’s dry lips was heartbreakingly realistic. Fast forward to later in the episode, the entire sequence of scenes having Father Reyes come bless Mike, the immediate family members rejoicing in prayer only cemented the harrowing truth that Mike’s time is coming to an end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Not sure what category she belongs in but I have been loving Alison Sweeney’s performances in 2020 – she has truly been outstanding!

I also agree with those who cited Nancy Lee Grahn for the episode where she got together with Neil and found him dead in the morning, and the work she has done since then too…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I agree that Sweeney has been outstanding. I’d say she has to go into the supporting category, although she’s been back since July, and since she’s still airing now and will be back on almost as soon as she leaves, the argument could be made for lead. Given the intended extent of her run once she returns, I think the guest category would be out of the question.

The GH performances has been great as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Best Actor: Robert Scott Wilson (Ben, Days)

Sept. 24, 2020

Ben wakes up from a bad dream and talks about his grief with Marlena – RSW has been doing a great job with these grief scenes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BTN
    Topics:

Best actor
    Thorsten Kaye
    Bold and beautiful
    9/25

He just swooped in and stole the scenes! Make one of ridges kids go off the rails and Kaye totally brings his A game! Steals everything

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ericjoseph33
    Topics:

Monday, September 21st, 2020

Tuesday, September 22nd, 2020

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020

Thursday, September 24th, 2020

Friday, September 25th, 2020

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood as Steffy Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful

I cited every single episode this week because JMW knocked it out of the park in every episode. She outshined and own the room as Steffy’s goes down the rabbit hole within the addiction story. At the beginning of the week, she perfectly played a disorientated Steffy, completely in denial of her abuse of pills. She played someone under the influence without being over the top, so that it seemed she was being a caricature. It was extremely believable. She brought a comedic twist to show range, with the mocking of the Liam character. She was able to show despair, sadness, and shock when Liam announced to Steffy that she was taking her daughter, Kelly, out of her home. Wood showcase a frantic Steffy looking for keys to go after Liam with her scenes of Thomas. The actress then continued to show Steffy’s anger towards Brooke, Hope, and Liam for their maltreatment towards her over the year. Friday’s episode was certainly the best one of the week as Steffy reaches her breaking point and has a mental breakdown. Steffy pulls a knife no less to be given her daughter! However, when Steffy dropped the knife and could not even realize or remember what she was about to do was terrific. Her expression of physical, emotional pain, the anguish of almost dying, and abandonment issues were all beautifully executed by Wood! Master class, scene-stealer! A phenomenal week for Wood!

Steffy also trended this week on Twitter — lots of talk of this story!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

September 25, 2020

Best Actress: Alison Sweeney (Sami, Days)

Sami brings the baby to Nicole’s and has a heartfelt goodbye with daughter Allie. The baby is named: Henry Lucas Horton. Sami also has a goodbye scene with Lucas. Fortunately Sami will be back soon since the epis that were filmed before the break end I think next week and she started filming already for the new episodes! Alison was fantastic during this extended visit!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Yes, that was a really brave performance JMW gave in Friday’s 9/25 episode (which was fabulously written and directed too, so kudos once again to Tracey Ann Kelly and Cindy Popp). I admire how Jacquie was able to convey a wide spectrum of Steffy’s emotions (pain, anger, confusion, fear, loneliness) all against the backdrop of Steffy’s general lack of awareness (due to the lingering effects of the painkillers) about the direness of her current situation. And I agree, Thorsten Kaye (and Scott Clifton) matched Jacquie in the strength of their performances, so this episode would play nicely as part of their future Emmy reels as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ericjoseph33
    Topics:

Tuesday, September 29th, 2020

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood as Steffy Forrester, The Bold and the Beautiful

Another fantastic performance by Ms. Wood, which I believe was the culmination of the addiction story. She played Steffy’s anger, sense of betrayal, frustration, denial, and regret during her intervention. A truly standout moment was when Steffy went to get more pills and dropped them all over the floor, and it became clear to her that she was addicted, and Wood did a fantastic job illustrating that realization. Her performance was gut-wrenching, and she continues to prove her star quality and her skills as an actress! Bravo!

Honorable mentions: Scott Clifton, Tanner Novlan, and Thorsten Kaye, who were all wonderful scene partners opposites to Wood!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My 9 month totally subjective list of personal choices for Emmy consideration – as usual I have had a hard time with category placements as far as leads and supporting categories are concerned. For me I ask a few questions: did the performer have their own storylines, are they are a star of the show, did their work feel “lead”??? I haven’t been watching B&B so I have not cited anyone from that show. Again: this is subjective, to say the least, and have my biases and preferences.

Best Drama Series:
    Days Of Our Lives
    *General Hospital

Best Actress:
    Camila Banus, Days
    Sharon Case, Y&R
    *Nancy Lee Grahn, GH
    Chloe Lanier, GH
    Cynthia Watros, GH
    Maura West, GH

Best Actor:
    Chad Duell, GH
    Mark Grossman, Y&R
    James Patrick Stuart, GH
    *Paul Telfer, Days
    Robert Scott Wilson, Days

Best Supporting Actress:
    Judi Evans, Days
    Genie Francis, GH
    Linsey Godfrey, Days
    Suzanne Rogers, Days
    *Alison Sweeney, Days

Best Supporting Actor:
    Ryan Carnes, GH
    Bryan Dattilo, Days
    Wally Kurth, Days
    *Chandler Massey, Days
    Freddie Smith, Days

Best Younger Performer:
    Olivia Rose Keegan, Days
    Victoria Konefal, Days
    Katelyn MacMullen, GH
    Eden McCoy, GH
    *Sydney Mikayla, GH

Best Guest Performer:
    Marla Adams, Y&R
    Nicolas Bechtel, GH
    *Kassie DePaiva, Days
    Jane Elliot, GH
    “Vincent”, Days (actor’s name???)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

General Hospital
    October 08, 2020

For Your Consideration
    Outstanding Drama Series
    Outstanding Drama SeriesWriting
    Outstanding Drama Series Directing
    ActorMaurice Benard
    Supporting ActorMax Gail
    Music Direction for a Drama Series
    Lighting Direction for a Drama Series
    & if the EMMYs has an Ensemble Cast Award as the SAG Awards do, I’d throw their name into the rink there as well (Maura West, Eden McCoy, Steve Burton, Laura Wright, Kelly Monaco, Chad Duell, Vernee Watson, Lisa LoCicero, Rebecca Herbst, the list goes on!).

With sensitive direction from Philadeux Xavier coupled with an equally strong script, this episode captured in its 36 minutes, the wonderful efforts of a strong ensemble cast. Providing closure to a 2+ year story surrounding the diagnosis, progression [and effects on the mental health of the family and extended family members impacted by] and loss from Alzheimer’s Disease, this showcase was exactly what these characters needed in order for them to move forward.

In story, Carly and Sonny arrive at the church, tastefully decorated with flowers and a photo of Mike up by the altar. Greeting their guests, 1 by 1, this episode slowly built, though distinct in tone, with members of Port Charles recounting their memories of, and learnings dealt by Mike Corbin. As Michael, Ava (representing Avery), Olivia (representing Dante), Brando, Elizabeth, Jason, Sam, Stella, Carly, and ultimately Sonny himself (“I wasn’t sure I would be able to do this…”) took to the podium to talk about Mike, you felt emotionally invested in these characters. The subtle use of flash story moved the episode along beautifully.

It was not until Josslyn took to the podium to sing “Stronger than Before” [by Paige Parrucci & Gavin Linnihan] where the episode was reared on its head and went for the jugular. With key flashbacks pivotal to the story, we saw moments Mike had with almost each of the critical players in this beautifully told and nuanced story.

And finally, in the final minutes of this episode, Sonny and Mike share one last scene together, in which Mike told Sonny: “Don’t romanticize me!” Walking down the aisle and out of the church, Mike puts his hat on, tells his son he loves him and vice-versa, and smiles goodbye. In the moments that would follow, as Sonny himself leaves the church, a familiar face arrives, his son, Dante – fade to black!

On a completely separate note, I’d like to applaud the production team of GH for their handling and of crafting these episodes in times of a pandemic. Congratulations on maintaining the integrity of your show and continuing to produce episodic television that looks great, if not, better, than it was earlier in the year. Bravo.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.