Home Forums Daytime TV 2020 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

2020 Citations for Daytime Emmy Submissions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

^^^I agree, the episode was really well done and extremely moving and effective. I was particularly impressed with how many cast members the show was able to not only get into the episode, but also give significant moments to. To my mind, this would make a perfect drama series submission — it caps off years of story but also is perfectly contained within itself. It features a good chunk of the cast performing very strongly and has no distracting B story taking away from the main action. Given the ensemble nature of the episode, I wouldn’t suggest it as an acting submission for anyone, even though Maurice Benard, Laura Wright, Max Gail, Lisa LoCicero, Vernee Watson, Steven Burton and Eden McCoy all had particularly good moments.

The only small, very small, quibble I had was that Olivia wasn’t there when Dante showed up. I get that this story is focused on Sonny, but given that Olivia’s main story for the last year has been hand-wringing about her son, she should have been there when he arrived. It was nice to get the father-son reunion, but had Olivia been there, the joy of that reunion would have almost balanced the grief throughout the rest of the episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I especially liked Ava’s scene where she speaks on behalf of Avery. It was a nice episode and an interesting change of pace.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

3 performers who I wish to cite for their recent work:

Nancy Lee Grahn for Best Actress as Alexis on GH – her return to drinking storyline has been great work from her;

Lisa LoCicero has been really good lately as Olivia, dealing with Dante, Ned, and Robert;

and Lucas Adams has been doing admirable work as Tripp deals with a rape allegation from Allie.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

Definitely agree about NLG’s work and her lead placement. Drunk Alexis is a hoot and has some of the best one-liners on television.

Lead Actress
    Nancy Lee Grahn as Alexis Davis (GH)

9/21/2020
    Alexis is diagnosed with Osteoporosis.

9/22/2020
    Alexis freaks out on Valentin and Sam about her diagnosis.

9/25/2020
    Alexis attends Neil’s memorial. Neil’s brother confronts her and blames her for Neil’s death.

9/28/2020
    Alexis and Ned get drunk and reminisce about their engagement.

10/06/2020
    Alexis and Ned wake up together and discover they cheated on Olivia the night before.

10/19/2020
    Sam confronts Alexis about falling off the wagon.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I agree, I’ve been enjoying the work of all three performers. Soaps are so much about suffering and then some relief of that suffering, and the occasional win over an opponent, but I felt such joy when Dante finally went to see Olivia. LiLo has really done a wonderful job with that story as well as all the stuff with Ned and Brook Lynn. Also loving boozy Alexis and feeling very bad for Tripp.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

10/26/2020

Lead Actress

Julian finds Alexis drinking in his bar and tells the bartender to cut her off. He offers to help but Drunk Alexis completely eviscerates him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

11/06/2020
    Lead Actress

Sam asks Alexis to go back into treatment for alcoholism. When Alexis refuses, Sam says she won’t let Alexis near her kids anymore. Drunk Alexis counters that Sam is already endangering her kids by sleeping with a hitman. Sam says she’ll tell her sisters that Alexis is drinking tomorrow and leaves.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

Lead Actress
    Finola Hughes as Anna & Alex Devane (GH)

10/30/2020
    Anna gets test results that prove she’s not Peter’s mother, her evil twin Alex is.

11/03/2020
    Alex ties Anna up in the basement and then takes her place.

11/04/2020
    Valentin figures out Alex is not Anna. Alex injects Valentin with a paralytic before he can get into the basement to save Anna. Alex ties up Valentin with Anna and then sets up the basement to explode.

11/05/2020
    Alex (posing as Anna) takes Peter and Maxie out to celebrate their engagement and pregnancy. Anna rescues herself and Valentin from the basement before it explodes.

11/06/2020
    Alex shoots Finn and kidnaps Maxie. Anna crashes onto the Haunted Star where Alex is holding Maxie hostage.

11/09/2020
    Anna shoots Alex twice. Alex jumps off the Haunted Star and is presumed dead.

NLG and Finola are easily getting lead nominations next year. GH has a real shot at taking four spots in the category with West and Wright almost always shoo-ins for a nom!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

11/10 Lead Actress: Finola Hughes as Anna Devane

I thought this was an excellent performance from Hughes who started out recounting how she shot Alex to Robert, followed by the relief of the update from Epiphany, to finally being by Finn’s bedside and deciding she wanted to marry him ASAP. That last part had that great toss away line of “Its not about a decked out church or a big fancy cake (although I DO think there should be cake).” It had very nice emotional range to it even though I want this nonsense with Peter to be over with months ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

A general citation for the excellence of the directing and writing of GH lately – I particularly liked the Tuesday episode this week – not sure if it had enough for a Drama Series submission but it was extremely well directed and written.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

Lead Actress

11/19

Drunk Alexis calls Cyrus a drug pusher and accuses him of being involved in Neil’s overdose and death.

11/20

Alexis has another run-in with Julian before being ambushed by Sam, Molly, Diane & Valentin with an intervention.

11/23

Alexis’ intervention is interrupted by news of an explosion at The Floating Rib. Sam and Alexis freak out about Jason & Danny.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I want to add a citation for William deVry for Supporting Actor and one for Directing for Friday’s GH episode (11/20). deVry usually doesn’t get material that requires him to be very showy, but the conversation between Julian and Alexis was heartbreaking, and his struggle to figure out the best of his bad options was really well done. Also the way the episode was assembled and the way the characters moved around, the building tension in and around The Floating Rib, was great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

General Hospital
    Monday, November 23, 2020

For Your Consideration
    Outstanding Drama Series
    Outstanding Drama Series – Directing
    Outstanding Drama Series – Technical Team
    Outstanding Drama Series – Lighting Direction
    Outstanding Drama Series – Multiple Camera Editing

Outstanding Supporting Actress – Genie Francis

Contains Spoilers
    As an explosion tore The Floating Rib apart, the lives of many Port Charles residents were left hanging in the balance as loved ones rushed to the scene as the news rippled through the town. The breakdown by act (courtesy of my personal Twitter page, contains spoilers)…

First Act – Fantastic production value! Multiple stories are coming to a head & others are moving forward; the scenes with Alexis/Sam/Molly/Diane/Valentin are extremely effective and put together nicely. It is clear that this botched intervention will be revisited.

Second Act – Cameron injured, Dev/Lulu/Franco/Jason unresponsive; Julian discovering his grandson’s cap in blowing rubble; Diane pleading for Alexis to come back to her…great script & direction here. The Set Design and lighting in particular were standouts.

Third Act – Production Design; FANTASTIC! Daytime Drama doesn’t get the budget or production capabilities like they once had; this was very well done! Great great work on behalf of the crew that is putting this show together; during a PANDEMIC no less. I’ve said it a few times since the show returned in August, but GH is delivering. Whatever you may think of the show, the behind the scenes crew deserves love.

Fourth Act – the aftermath of the explosion rocks the lives of many PC residents. Dev/Dustin clinging to life; Lulu/Franco wake up; Sonny defeated, Julian remorseful! What an action packed first half!

As the episode reaches its end; we know of not one, but two casualties: Dev (who died in the ambulance on his way to GH) and Dustin, who died in hospital after his body went into shock.

This episode was strong from start to finish; a great showcase for cast and crew; producing team included.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I usually don’t love when soaps do these kinds of episodes (explosions, earthquakes, tornadoes, plane crashes), but this episode was excellent. And really moving. Wonderful performances all around. Carolyn Hennessy and Will Lipton were standouts to me, but really good work from everyone.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I have been really enjoying seeing Sonya Eddy more often too! They are mostly making really great decisions at this show!!! (I do wish Milo had returned too though)…

I so look forward to GH every day!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.