Home Forums Daytime TV 2020 Daytime Emmy Awards predictions

2020 Daytime Emmy Awards predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 250 total)
Created
3 years ago
Last Reply
2 years ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
Celtic DW
  • Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

There’s one of Sasha Calle too on the CBS Twitter page and she killed it. I wouldn’t be upset if she won. It was just that good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

OMG…… I just saw MG second reel. Between him and Bryton, I would love to see a tie.
    Love Annika’s too ❤️

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I was just on the CBS page and saw a few others: Thorsten Kaye, Christel Khalil, Sasha Calle, Annika Noelle. Kaye, Calle, and Noelle are still more or less in the same place as they were for me. Their stuff is pretty much what I assumed the rest of the reel was. Khalil may move down slightly for me after this, not because the other stuff shown isn’t good, but because I’d assumed it was more different from the eulogy stuff than it seems to be. It all seems very weepy.

I also keep thinking about all the Y&R actors who didn’t get nominated. I know we don’t know who submitted, but keep thinking about actors who play characters who were close to Neil who did not show up on the ballot (Peter Bergman, Melody Thomas Scott, Eileen Davidson, Shemar Moore) and it makes me wonder if those episodes didn’t play quite as strongly with voters as people think they did.

In any event, I would love if NBC and ABC released highlight reels from their nominees as well. We still have a few days!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am hoping the Daytime Emmys will cheer me up because my very best in the world Sandy passed away on Sunday – I just found out this morning after 2 days of phone tag with her partner. She had multiple sclerosis and had been dealing with an infection from a wound for a few weeks but I thought they would be able to get her well from it. It puts things into perspective. Whether the ones I want to see win on Friday do or not I am hoping the show itself will cheer me up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend passing, Freeman. Hopefully the Emmys will be fun and can lift your spirits.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Lang is still my pick to win (body of work) but sadly this clip ranks last. Here is where the selection of one scene is very misleading. The other four were given a true showcase of their main story in 2019. This little snippet does absolutely NO justice to the excellent year she had in fallout of the baby story. It was the most fierce defiant side of the character in putting her daughter (finally) ahead of her marriage and allowed the actress to take it to another dramatic level. Brooke blasting the hell out of Thomas was fascinating to watch as was Brooke not cutting Ridge any slack on his pleas to forgive his son. It was the good kind of different for a long running role. Much like it was for Benard last year. Brooke and Taylor fighting over Ridge in this clip was like two episodes out of the whole year. If they aren’t going to release the reels anymore, at least give us the info on the submissions like last year. It’s easy to look up the scenes from the episodes.

Lol yes, this is why assessing the strength of the performances based on these clips is quite problematic. As you said, this particular scene where Brooke interrogates Taylor was taken from a peripheral story arc that saw its resolution in the course of just a few episodes. It is in no way representative of the multi-faceted obstacles Brooke had to conquer throughout the majority of the year. However, anyone unfamiliar going strictly by this clip will surely get the false impression that the highlight of KKL’s (phenomenal) year was a retread of an age-old Brooke-Taylor feud.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I read an article this morning that 8 out of the 9 major categories for daytime drama will be shown on the CBS broadcast on Friday night – the only exception is the Guest Performer category, but we will learn the winner right after the broadcast. If I counted correctly there will be 8 other categories handed out during the broadcast, so half of it will be for daytime drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

Actually it’s 8 of 18 by my count but still a plurality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

This is about what I expected, though I’m surprised they’re not presenting morning show host or informative talk show host at the ceremony. I guess they had to include entertainment talk show host because it’s pretty rude to ask someone to host the show and then not even present their category on air. While I’m certainly most interested in the soap categories, the other stuff is all top-level and will be interesting to see. Plus nearly half of the categories being soap categories is a lot of soap content.

Maybe the oddest thing to me is that the ceremony will air and then other awards will be revealed online, which seems kind of anti-climatic. I guess no one was going to air a virtual creative arts ceremony, but it would be nice to maybe stream something online with the other winners either a day or two before the big show or in the hour or two beforehand.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to the show. I was looking at the ratings that the show has garnered for it’s TV airings, and outside of the time it aired on the CW, the ratings were pretty good, even in waning years. I think the last time it was on CBS it still pulled in more than 5 million viewers, which is a good number by current primetime standards (and even five years ago primetime standards).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

EmmyLoser, recall that the lead in for the Daytime Emmys the last year it was on CBS was a same day reairing of Bob Barker’s final Price is Right which gave it a huge headwind. I will say it is interesting seeing some more articles in mainstream media promoting the show than in recent years.

Edit: My bad I see they had it in 2010 and 2011. I think if it pulls down 4-5 million it’s a success. I really would like to see it return to network TV even if it airs in daytime hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I hadn’t thought about what CBS (or the other networks) might have been airing prior to the awards to give the show a good lead-in, though I also feel like a good lead-in is much less helpful for a two-hour award show than, say, a half-hour sitcom. I don’t know what they’re planning to air prior to this year’s show, but here’s hoping the numbers are good.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    montana82
    Topics:

I find this confusing. When is Informative Talk Show Host and Culinary Host going to be announced? Why would they announce Informative Talk Show and Culinary Show yet no host awards??

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I may be wrong here, but I think it’s fairly typical that the Daytime Emmys try to get as many of the program categories (best ________ show) on the main telecast as they manage, and awarding the people on those shows tends to be secondary. But what usually is also happening is that the awards not being presented at the big telecast have already been presented at the Creative Arts ceremony, so they can recap who’s won the hosting categories and such during the main telecast. I guess they also might normally do more of those in the main telecast to try to get the talent to actually show up at the awards, which is not an issue this year. So I think all the hosting categories we don’t see listed will be announced online, presumably shortly after the telecast is done airing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.