Home Forums Daytime TV 2020 Daytime Emmy Awards predictions

2020 Daytime Emmy Awards predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 250 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
linecelts
  • Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Fantastic submissions by both Susan Seaforth Hayes and Eva La Rue! I remember all those scenes well. SSH got me right in the heart. She’s definitely a strong contender (it was already such a sweet surprise seeing her name in the mix of Supporting Actress nominees and how awesome would it now be if she finally won a competitive acting Emmy?!). I like how Eva has variety in her reel and holds her own opposite powerhouse players like Bergman, Stafford, and Vilasuso. If the material with Sasha Calle she mentions is that what I think it is, then those are her big money scenes and she just might take it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Good stuff from Susan Seaforth Hayes. I do remember those scenes of Julie being on the bring of death. I think I cried when they aired. That’s a great submission. I totally get why she’d want to steer away from the things that haven’t worked for her in the past, even though I find her scenes with Camila Banus to be so entertaining. I also really liked the scenes with Eli and Lani that preceded Julie’s heart attack, where they made her aware that some of the things she was saying were somewhere between racially insensitive and offensive, but that probably wouldn’t have been a good route to go for something like this.

Has anyone yet seen any of the submitted material that NATAS said they’d be releasing this week? I was thinking it would be one category per day, but that doesn’t seem to have happened.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am fairly certain that the date for the reels to start showing up is next Monday, June 8th. Here’s hoping they are the entire reels so we can properly assess them!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I have a source who has told me that Wally Kurth did indeed submit the scene where Justin visits Will in prison. What is really interesting is that my source has also told me that Freddie Smith submitted some other scenes from the same episode that Chandler did – the visit to prison to discuss a divorce (and that Freddie made the pre-nominees list) – so… Chandler was seen in 3 of the reels the panelists saw this year! I have no idea who the panelists will choose but I do think it will benefit Chandler to have been seen in two other reels in the same category! Has that ever happened before? I asked my source if that was the entirety of Wally’s reel and I am confused by the answer to that question but I think he only submitted scenes from that one episode.

I did read that they are only going to release partial reels ): This is a problem because we really need to see the entire reels to get the full impact of them. It makes it almost impossible to predict with any fairness this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

It’s good to know the partial reels will start to be released next week, so I can stop stalking the website, LOL.

According to Wally Kurth’s SoapCentral interview, which went up yesterday, he submitted a considerably longer reel than just the scenes at the prison. He discusses his technique of trying to capture the character being happy, sad, afraid and angry (he talked about this when he was previously nominated for GH as well). Here’s what he included:

“So, I included the scene where I ask Adrienne [Judi Evans] to marry me, where I get down on my knee and ask her to marry me for the fourth time, so that’s sort of a little bit of a fear mixed with happy, right? And then the next scene I put in is where Kayla [Mary Beth Evans] and I are together, and it’s our one-year anniversary, and we’re talking about the sadness of losing Adrienne, and she brings up the moment where she told me that Adrienne died, so it’s a flashback of six months earlier, and you see me get really crushed and sad and cry. So, in that scene, there is anger, there is fear, there’s sadness — so all three of those in that particular clip. And then afterwards, I included the scene where she and I talked about how she saved me and really made me a better person, like, “I’m okay now, I’m healing because of her.” So again, that kind of shows you the colors of he’s moving toward something. And then the last scenes that I included were the scenes where I confronted Will [Chandler Massey] in the prison, where I’m forgiving him for killing Adrienne and telling him that you may be hurt and you may be mad at your son, but you never stop loving your son. It was beautifully written stuff, those scenes. And Chandler was awesome to work with. I just thought those were really good scenes. So, those were the three episodes that I included.”

There have certainly been examples of people who it is believed won Emmys because their co-nominated co-stars submitted work that complemented or supplemented their own. The quickest example that comes to mind is Felicity Huffman winning for the first season of Desperate Housewives, where I think it was said that either Marcia Cross or Teri Hatcher submitted an episode that really showcased Huffman and got her a win that her own submission likely would not have. This is one of the reasons why being nominated with your co-stars is tricky. This is less of a threat with the current daytime submission rules, but since Chandler, Wally and Freddie were all involved in the same story, it makes sense they’d all show up. Having more material to showcase is an advantage, but I’m not sure it will help Chandler as much as it could in other instances. If Chandler and Freddie submitted more or less the same scenes, it’s not adding anything for judges to see them twice. Wally’s scenes probably give him a little boost, but even with those, Will is in very much the same mode as in Chandler’s scenes, he’s guilty, contrite, feeling he doesn’t deserve love or forgiveness. But Wally’s reel I think provides more of a happy ending with Justin forgiving Will.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My understanding is that Freddie mostly submitted the other half of the scenes that Chandler did not include in his reel. Wally’s reel is strong – and tells a complete story too – but then so are all of the others. This is the only category (Supporting Actor) where we know all of the submissions and for me it is impossible to predict!

We still know almost nothing about the Best Actress category submissions. I hope we get more information soon!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Olivia Rose Keegan: The whole reel pretty much revolved around Claire’s path of destruction and dealing with her mental illness. So, the majority of my reel takes place in the cabin where I have Ciara [Victoria Konefal], and I’m in a state and really just unwell. And before that, I used a lot of things that led up to that. I used some material with Kassie DePaiva [Eve Donovan], who I love so much. I feel like we really brought out interesting dynamics in each other when we worked together. She is such a blast to work with, and so present. And then, I submitted some stuff with Lucas [Adams], who plays Tripp [Dalton].

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I wish there were more details as to which scenes she is referring to – her reel promises to be a really good one. It was great to see her back on the show today! (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I’m sure Olivia’s reel is great. Even though I feel like Eden McCoy is most deserving based on the year overall, followed closely my Katelyn MacMullin, I bet Olivia’s reel is the flashiest and I’m sure very entertaining. It seems like sincerity and heavy emotion generally plays well in this category (well, in younger actress, which I guess this wasn’t exactly since presumably they did have to evaluate some male reels before ending up with five females in the top slots), which could work against Olivia and in favor of Eden.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am rooting for Eden McCoy and predicting her to win the Younger Performer category but Olivia Rose Keegan and Katelyn MacMullen would be excellent choices too. William Lipton and Garen Stitt were totally ripped off by the ridiculous rules change.

When are we going to get more detailed information on the Best Actress submissions?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    montana82
    Topics:

Are the daytime Emmy categories decided by blue ribbons panels still or did they go to a popular vote like prime time did? Do the reels still matter?

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Daytime Emmys:

In light of today being Breonna Taylor’s Birthday, we cannot begin a week of sharing celebratory performance clips in good conscience. We are postponing these posts until next week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Are the daytime Emmy categories decided by blue ribbons panels still or did they go to a popular vote like prime time did? Do the reels still matter?

They are still using blue ribbon panels for the voting for nominees and winners. I believe anyone can still vote for prenoms.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

O.K., I found it and it was really disappointing ): It was six minutes, one scene each from each of the shows for Best Drama Series.

Please tell me that GH didn’t suicidally submit Finn’s “Ebernezer Finn” Christmas episode? The clip was totally stupid – with Finn in a fantasy sequence at his grave. It was truly horrible! I have read they submitted Oscar’s death but these clips are supposed to be from at least one of the episodes submitted.

B&B’s clip was dark and dull. Liam in a helicopter while Hope is giving birth to her baby in a hospital. And that’s the whole entire clip. I have read they submitted the baby switch reveal but this scene was from when she was giving birth. I found the lighting incredibly dark!

Days had a clip I didn’t like very much either. It was when Jennifer woke up from her coma and Jack is thrilled – but the scene doesn’t go anywhere and I was bored by it. It was the first episode of the time jump, which ended if memory serves me with the revelation that Will is in prison for killing Adrienne. I liked that episode very much but that particular scene was pretty much my least favorite.

Y&R at least had a nice scene, a quiet one, between Jack and Ashley as they express treasured memories of Neil Winters. But the scene doesn’t build or go anywhere.

Without seeing the whole reels it’s hard to tell but if GH really did submit that episode I think it’s chances of winning are extremely low this year.

This was only 6 minutes and was on the Daytime Emmys page on Facebook. They will be doing the other categories each day; I do not know what category will be released tomorrow. I really wish they would submit the entire reels or even just more information. In this category exact dates of episodes would be helpful.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

The clips were disappointing too.

I did read that GH did submit the Christmas episode as one reel and of course Oscar’s death as the other reel.

I still think Y&R’s got this with the death of legendary character PLUS the real life passing of the actor. I’m pretty sure the service was submitted.

I have a feeling B&B will probably pull a surprise win for Writing.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 250 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.