Home Forums Daytime TV 2020 Daytime Emmy nominations announced

2020 Daytime Emmy nominations announced

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
linecelts
EmmyLoser
  • Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Yeah, I think even when you think of actors who clearly have a tendency to sometimes get out of hand (Kim Zimmer and Erika Slezak were given as examples), they also won under pretty different judging systems. Years ago the reels were, for one thing, a little more crafted around story — if Slezak submitted one episode that seemed over the top, it might have been tempered by two others episodes that gave that performance proper context. And as Djoko said, judges now are not even watching the entire reel in some cases. (This drives me crazy.) But the ability to watch reels at home and thus not really watch the whole thing is relatively new. When the panels were all in a room together, they were watching the whole reels. So I think histrionic reels are not playing nearly as well now as they were once upon a time, especially if the histrionics are up front. It’s a tough balance, because you have to grab the judge’s attention early but you also can’t be doing too much.

It would be great if NATAS released the reels this year, but I’m not expecting them to. Maybe CBS will push for that (or we could get CBS to push for that), since the awards are airing on television and how many people watch them actually matter. I’m way more interested in watching the awards show when I can see the material that’s been submitted.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am at least glad to be reading what various actors have submitted and hope we get more of those over the next month. But it’s so much better when we get to see the entire reels. Still hoping there will be some way of it to happen but I am doubtful this year.

When I was reading the Y&R submissions and thinking back on those scenes I wondered how they would play rather than to just read about them. We also never know who is on a panel because that matters. It always bothered me that Kim Zimmer was on a panel years ago that gave the award to her on screen son (Tom Pelphrey). Of course as Michael has said they no longer watch together so the system is different now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

From what I’ve read, there is some attempt to make the blue ribbon panel voting fair by having each show submit names for potential judges in each category and then using some selection method that means each show will have the same number of voters per category, so that’s somewhat helpful. As far as I know, however, there is nothing that assesses the fitness of each particular judge, which frankly might be more helpful. For example, anyone who was caught not watching the entirety of their reels should be disqualified from participating. I realize this might rule out a large number of industry participants, but frankly I also think the process could benefit from having civilian judges. Maybe not just whichever fans wanted to do it, more like having a selection system and then some degree of coaching/training for be qualified to judge.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

So Scott Clifton has since tweeted that he didn’t submit, which I was quite surprised by and found to be very gracious of him. He certainly deserved a spot among the final five Lead Actors.

There were many unexpected omissions from this year’s crop of nominees (Cynthia Watros, Laura Wright, Melissa Claire Egan, Michelle Stafford, Jordi Vilasuso, Vincent Irizarry, Shemar Moore… just to name a few), but I have to say the one that left me flabbergasted was Cait Fairbanks completely missing from the Best Original Song field. She had at least six (yes, six!) incredible songs in contention for Y&R, and even if she just submitted two or three, I wholly anticipated her to wind up with multiple noms. To then come up short without a single nomination is unfathomable. Personally, I felt she deserved the win for the mesmerizing “When I See You”, but “Clear My Mind”, “Umbrella”, “Love Me” or “Something in You” would’ve made for worthy alternatives.

One silver lining is that at least William Lipton received a nod for his impressive “North Star” (beating out another splendid piece of his, “Side by Side”, that he likely also submitted). I could foresee a win for Lipton here if the Emmys want to make it up to him for his Younger Performer snub (think: iAMC’s Denyse Tontz, who found herself in similar circumstances a few years ago; left out of the Younger Actress race, she ended up winning for her catchy love ballad, “Parachute”). Perhaps too, former Original Song winner (and Supporting actor nominee again this year) Wally Kurth will be his good luck charm?!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Paul Vargo
    Topics:

On the new Daytime Confidential Podcast they talk about the Series Submission in Best Drama

Y&R Neil’s Death
    B&B Baby switch happening and Truth coming out
    GH Oscar’s Death and the Christmas Episode
    Day’s the time jump.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

On the new Daytime Confidential Podcast they talk about the Series Submission in Best Drama

Y&R Neil’s Death
    B&B Baby switch happening and Truth coming out
    GH Oscar’s Death and the Christmas Episode
    Day’s the time jump.

They all submitted exactly what I thought they would and should! For me this is no contest: GH ought to win, but I know that the panelists have different criteria than I do! They all chose correctly this year…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Yeap. I knew Y&R was gonna submit Neil Winter’s death. GH submitted good too. There’s no telling who’s gonna win Best Drama. Oscar’s death could seal the deal for GH but I don’t think it could beat Y&R legendary Neil Winters death with also the passing of legendary Kristoff St. John.

Again, B&B could win Writing but it will probably be between Y&R & GH, the same with Directing.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.