Home Forums Daytime TV 2021…Best of the Best ….

2021…Best of the Best ….

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
akh_cat
rlk
  • Profile picture
    akh_cat
    Topics:

Who’s your favorite actor, actress, writing team, couple, storyline, and drama series of 2021?

Mines is…

Actor: Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)

Actress: Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, Y&R)

Writing team: Days of Our Lives (Ron Carlivati, HW)

Couple: Ben & Ciara, Days (Robert Scott Wilson & Victoria Konefal)

Storyline: Marlena’s possession, Days

Drama Series: Days of Our Lives

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Drama Series: General Hospital – during the early part of 2021 GH was ON FIRE with one great episode after another!

Lead Actor: Michael Eeaston for General Hospital – the paternity storyline where Finn thought he was Chase’s father, and Chase being poisoned by Peter and then Finn thinking he had killed Peter gave ME opportunities to shine and do the best work ever in his daytime career.

Lead Actress: Cynthia Watros for General Hospital – the Nixon Falls storyline and its aftermath gave Cynthia Watros one great scene after another. She really came into her own as Nina in 2021.

Supporting Actor: (tie) MIke Manning as Charlie Dale for Days Of Our Lives. The rape scenes and all of the scenes pertaining to Charlie’s murder were brilliantly acted by Emmy winner Mike Manning; and Josh Swickard for General Hospital – the same two storylines mentioned above (minus the “killing” of Peter) gave Josh Swickard amazing material. Add his struggles with his legs and his finding out about Willow and Mike and he had so much great material to choose from for a strong Emmy reel.

Supporting Actress: Kirsten Storms for General Hospital – starting with the scenes in the cabin with the fake nurse, giving birth in the woods, and then the very best scene of 2021 when Maxie confronted Peter in her hospital room, and then the looking out the hospital window at “Bailey” (Louise) – best of career work from Kirsten Storms!

Younger Performer: Sydney Mikayla for General Hospital – she just makes me so happy every single time I see her on my screen! Just wonderful! Alyvia Alyn Lind for Y&R would be able to assemble a great Emmy reel if she chooses with the bullying storyline and the aftermath of it with the drunk driving and being in the hospital afterwards.

Guest Performer: Greg Vaughan for Days Of Our Lives – the episode in which Eric and Nicole breakup was amazing acting from both of them.

Drama Series, Directing and Writing: General Hospital – no contest.

Favorite storyline: Chase being poisoned by Peter, and Nixon Falls love story for Mike and Nina.

Favorite Couple: Mike and Nina on General Hospital! Never thought Sonny would be my favorite anything but in his amnesiac state as Mike in Nixon Falls I loved him!

I have no idea ever who will and will not win Emmys – it depends so much on the reels, the makeup of the panels, whether somebody even submits or not – there are always tons of talented performers who deserve nominations and occasionally they wind up nominating someone who imo doesn’t deserve the recognition. It’s just a snapshot of that particular panels preferences!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    akh_cat
    Topics:

Drama Series: General Hospital – during the early part of 2021 GH was ON FIRE with one great episode after another! Lead Actor: Michael Eeaston for General Hospital – the paternity storyline where Finn thought he was Chase’s father, and Chase being poisoned by Peter and then Finn thinking he had killed Peter gave ME opportunities to shine and do the best work ever in his daytime career. Lead Actress: Cynthia Watros for General Hospital – the Nixon Falls storyline and its aftermath gave Cynthia Watros one great scene after another. She really came into her own as Nina in 2021. Supporting Actor: (tie) MIke Manning as Charlie Dale for Days Of Our Lives. The rape scenes and all of the scenes pertaining to Charlie’s murder were brilliantly acted by Emmy winner Mike Manning; and Josh Swickard for General Hospital – the same two storylines mentioned above (minus the “killing” of Peter) gave Josh Swickard amazing material. Add his struggles with his legs and his finding out about Willow and Mike and he had so much great material to choose from for a strong Emmy reel. Supporting Actress: Kirsten Storms for General Hospital – starting with the scenes in the cabin with the fake nurse, giving birth in the woods, and then the very best scene of 2021 when Maxie confronted Peter in her hospital room, and then the looking out the hospital window at “Bailey” (Louise) – best of career work from Kirsten Storms! Younger Performer: Sydney Mikayla for General Hospital – she just makes me so happy every single time I see her on my screen! Just wonderful! Alyvia Alyn Lind for Y&R would be able to assemble a great Emmy reel if she chooses with the bullying storyline and the aftermath of it with the drunk driving and being in the hospital afterwards. Guest Performer: Greg Vaughan for Days Of Our Lives – the episode in which Eric and Nicole breakup was amazing acting from both of them. Drama Series, Directing and Writing: General Hospital – no contest. Favorite storyline: Chase being poisoned by Peter, and Nixon Falls love story for Mike and Nina. Favorite Couple: Mike and Nina on General Hospital! Never thought Sonny would be my favorite anything but in his amnesiac state as Mike in Nixon Falls I loved him! akh_cat: I disliked almost all of your choices. Different opinion, that’s all, but the possession story for me was the worst storyline of 2021, Days has the worst writing and slid so far downhill in 2021 that I am not really enjoying the show very much anymore, Michelle Stafford was misused throughout 2021, and I am not a fan of Scott Clifton. I am sure there are plenty of people who don’t enjoy General Hospital for their reasons – I am not at all crazy about the mob stuff but almost everything for me worked on General Hospital in 2021.

I made my choice based on who I thought had the best year. We all watch our shows and we like who we think had the best storylines and best scenes and whatnot. I don’t disagree with anyone’s choices. It’s not like it’s Emmy choices or anything cause I honestly think none of these people are going to get nominations to be honest. I watched every soap this year (barely watched GH and I read synopsis of GH all year) and I just went with who I thought shined through. I actually love the possession storyline. It’s full of excitement and fun and Deidre Hall asked for it to be revisited so Ron Carlivati made her wish come true and he’s delivered in spades. It’s kinda the only story that had any kind of excitement to it in 2021 with the exception of Shelia coming back to B&B. I know you like GH and I respect that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I took to heart what you had to say and rewrote my comments accordingly.

Of course not watching a show much all year would mean not really knowing it’s quality. I admit I have watched about 50% of B&B, 66% of Y&R, and nearly 100% of Days and GH, so of course the latter two have more of my attention.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    akh_cat
    Topics:

^I took to heart what you had to say and rewrote my comments accordingly. Of course not watching a show much all year would mean not really knowing it’s quality. I admit I have watched about 50% of B&B, 66% of Y&R, and nearly 100% of Days and GH, so of course the latter two have more of my attention.

I understand that

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rlk
    Topics:

Drama: Days of Our Lives
    Lead Actor: Maurice Bernard (Sonny, GH)
    Lead Actress: Jacqueline Macinnes Wood (Steffy, B&B)
    Supporting Actor: Paul Telfer (Xander, DAYS)
    Supporting Actress: Stacy Haiduk (Kristen/Susan, DAYS)
    Writing team: Days of Our Lives
    Couple: Maura West and Marcus Colombia (Ava and Nicholas, GH)
    Storyline: Marlena’s possession, DAYS

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

B&B’s best storylines have been Vinny setting up Liam with Liam and Bill going to jail; and the return of Sheila.

Days best storylines – wow, I am stumped! I have been staring at my screen, thinking over storylines and coming up with… my love for the performers but not the stories! I loved the acting in Charlie’s murder storyline but I thought the ending was bungled (the preposterous ending where Jan, who was in a coma, was sneaking out of the hospital and killed Charlie – blech!). I loved the five day return of Eric but that wasn’t a storyline, just an ending to Nicole and Eric’s storyline.

Y&R’s best storylines have been Faith’s being bullied and its aftermath; and Chelsea poisoning Rey and all the drama that ensued.

GH had so many best storylines this year: Peter being unmasked as the criminal he has been for years; the poisoning of Chase; the paternity of Chase; the end of Cyrus’s reign of terror in Port Charles; Nixon Falls – the love story of Mike and Nina – and then there were other smaller stories, smaller moments, that were extremely effective, particularly the friendships – GH does the best with friendships.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I’m fighting the growing wave of best-of lists getting posted in late November/early December, so I’ll post my choices in January — but it is fun revisiting some of the things that have happened throughout the year :).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

Now that they year is over, I thought it would be nice to revisit this topic… Best & Worst of 2021.

Best Storyline: Nixon Falls
    GH took a HUGE risk in pairing Nina and “Mike” and ended up making magic. It’s no secret that I DESPISE the character of Sonny Corinthos, and this storyline made him likeable for the first time since the mid-90s. Despite the fact that Jason and Carly are two of my other least-favorite characters, I enjoyed that they finally analyzed their attraction to each other. The reveal and consequences have been very well-executed and I’m excited about how the story will play out in 2022, especially as Sonny/Mike deals with his conflicted feelings towards Nina.
    Runner-Up: The (Re-)Possession (DOOL)
    Definitely a love it or hate it story. Once you turned off your brain and common sense, this story was a lot of fun for me, mainly because it was a true umbrella storyline involving nearly the entire cast in one way or another… and I LOVE umbrella storylines! I also appreciated how the story started with Johnny finding out and making sense of his great-grandmother’s possession, and this happening in parallel with Doug being possessed (it’s simple incredible that Bill Hayes is still going strong at 96!). Soapy campy fun all around, and I actually kinda wish more had happened regarding Ben and Ciara’s baby. Oh, and the Who Killed Charlie? mystery was also a great umbrella story. DOOL and Ron Carlivati are really good at those.

Outstanding Lead Actress: Cynthia Watros (Nina, GH)
    Not much to add here to what seems to be a consensus opinion. Her torn conscience in Nixon Falls, her transformation from pure revenge to falling in love, her vulnerability following the Mike reveal. I used to think this character was so lame and useless, now I see her as one of GH’s leading ladies.

Outstanding Lead Actor: John McCook (Eric, B&B)
    The erectile dysfunction/Carter-Quinn-Eric storyline was another very polarizing one, but I mostly enjoyed it. I had mixed feelings (not enough buildup between Eric/Quinn, hated the fact that Donna “solved” the issue but then disappeared — bring her back!). Through it all, John McCook –in my view one of the most underrated actors on daytime– managed a complex balance of vulnerability and dignity, even when the writing wasn’t too dignified. One of the last remaining soap patriarchs, I love him!

Outstanding Supporting Actress: TIE Kirsten Storms (Maxie, GH) – Again, a consensus opinion. Her tearing down of Peter was soap gold.
    Camryn Grimes (Mariah, Y&R) – Acting by oneself for days on end has to be a huge challenge for an actor/actress. Camryn Grimes was amazing while Mariah was locked up with her unborn baby.

Outstanding Supporting Actor: Joshua Morrow (Nick, Y&R)
    For what seems like forever, I have been saddened and frustrated by the terrible state of Y&R. But one thing you can always count on is Josh Morrow’s Nick being a wonderful combination of humor, tenderness, sincerity and just a real good guy. He was great during Faith’s bullying storyline and his breakup with Phyllis, and I loved the recent scene with Victor when The Mustache told him he is a great dad.

Worst Couples:
    Jack and Sally (Y&R) — such a misguided move!
    Theo and Ciara (DOOL) — I felt like they really ruined Theo as a character by having him take advantage of Ciara’s amnesia.
    Gwen and Xander (DOOL) — see Most Annoying Character
    Justin and Bonnie (DOOL) — this story has made an idiot out of Justin. Please make it so that it was actually Bonnie who died in the crash, and bring back Adrienne!

Best New Character: Paulina (Jackée Henry) on DOOL
    She’s really a hoot to watch. Though I hate that her love story with Abe was so rushed, so much so that despite their chemistry, I just don’t buy it.

Funniest Line of the Year: Sami on DOOL about Marlena’s possession… “I thought it was like chicken pox and you could only get it once.” I almost choked from laughing.
    Runner-Up: “At least you don’t have to officiate any more Forrester family weddings.” (Quinn to Carter on B&B)

Most Annoying Character: Gwen (DOOL)
    I just HATE HATE HATE this character. Especially after she was the cause of Laura’s death (terrible move by Ron Carlivati in killing off a legacy character). She has absolutely no salvageable qualities, and has also made an idiot out of Jack. I hope that her keeping the Sarah secret from Xander means she gets her commeupance and hopefully leaves town.
    Runner-Up: Michael (GH)
    I guess his grating self-righteousness makes sense character-wise, him being the son of Carly Corinthos. Michael started getting on my nerves ever since he basically forgot that Sonny killed his father in cold blood. And this year with his reaction to the whole Nina/Sonny thing kept my eyes rolling perpetually.

Best Couple: Julie and Doug (DOOL)
    I guess it’s kind of cheating given that Bill and Susan Seaforth Hayes are married in real life, but really… aren’t they just the cutest? The scenes when Julie thought Doug was losing his memory were heart-churning. And Julie fighting MarDevil to be able to see her beloved Doug produced some great work from Susan Seaforth Hayes.
    By the way, Days of Our Lives has the honor of having the most veteran actors on daytime (Susan Seaforth Hayes, Bill Hayes, John Aniston, James Reynolds and Suzanne Rogers are all over 75) and I LOVE that the show makes such great use of them (we certainly missed Maggie during Suzanne Rogers’ absence for several months).

Best “Almost” Couples:
    Sami and Lucas (DOOL) — I loved the way the show crafted their reunion in the middle of the year, but I hate that they made Lucas Sami’s kidnapper.
    Britt and Jason (GH) — First person to make Jason likeable for me since Kimberly McCullough so many years ago. Too bad it was short-lived.
    Quinn and Carter (B&B) — They were just sooooooo sexy! Best sex scenes of the year.

Random Things I Loved:
    – The episode where Eric and Nicole broke up. Great writing and wonderful performances by Arianne Zucker and Greg Vaughan.
    – The scene between EJ, Lucas and Rafe (DOOL)
    – Kate and Roman getting back together on DOOL.
    – Sheila smirking at Stephanie’s portrait (B&B).
    – Jill (Jess Walton) and Nina (Tricia Cast)’s respective short stints on Y&R. I love and miss both actresses so much!
    – Sharon Case, Joshua Morrow and Alyvia Alyn Lind (Sharon, Nick and Faith) in the Faith bullying storyline.
    – DOOL delving into bisexuality/heteroflexibility with the Chanel/Allie connection.
    – Trina, Josslyn and Cameron on GH

Worst Returns:
    – I was never a big fan of Stitch, but bringing him back to make him Mariah’s kidnapper was a really lame move. (Y&R)
    – Despite Roger Howarth being such a great actor, his new character Austin has been a dud so far. I still don’t understand why they killed off Franco, especially when he and Elizabeth were a great couple. (GH)

Always Funny: Scotty (GH), Obrecht (GH), Victor (DOOL)

Random Stuff I Hated:
    – Vinny killing himself to frame Liam (B&B)
    – The character of Tara and everything involving her (Y&R)
    – I like Ben and Ciara, but all those months of separation and then her amnesia were really boring. (DOOL)
    – I don’t care much about Amanda so I care even less about her family. (Y&R)
    – I’m enjoying Krista Allen as Taylor on B&B, but I think the character was really destroyed over the years (she used to be one of my favorite characters in all of soaps in the 90s). I don’t like her coming back for Ridge (againnnn?! This show is so repetitive) and the fact that she’s warming up to Sheila is beyond stupid.
    – Enough with Kristen and her masks! (DOOL)
    – I don’t like the fact that Nicole slept with Xander, Rafe and EJ in such a short time frame. (DOOL)

Best Experiment: “Beyond Salem” was a lot of fun and a risk that paid off! Seeing all those vets was a blast! I didn’t like “A Very Salem Christmas” as much, but I hope DOOL continues with these!

Unmet Expectations: I was really excited for Sheila and Deacon returning and stirring up some trouble on B&B. But I’ve been surprised that I haven’t enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Though I can’t exactly pinpoint why.

Couples That I’m Excited for in 2022: Martin and Lucy, and Brook Lynn and Chase (both on GH); and -hopefully- Katie and Carter (B&B)

Worst Triangle: TIE Nicole-Rafe-Ava and Brady-Chloe-Philip (both on DOOL)

Best Treats for Longtime Fans:
    – The Sean Donely tribute on GH — a wonderful standalone celebration of a beloved actor and character, bringing together so many of GH’s most beloved vets. Also loved the confrontation between Felicia and Anna.
    – The episode celebrating James Reynold’s 40th anniversary on DOOL

Best Show: By far… General Hospital
    My biggest gripe with this show has always been its excessive focus on the mob and on Sonny/Carly/Jason — three of my least favorite characters on daytime. But at least two of them were rendered likeable this year! (Carly, not so much!) Also, the Nixon Falls storyline was near genius (see Best Storyline), and the Louise/Bailey switch storyline is great. The teen set is great, the dialogue is probably the best on daytime, the show has excellent ‘friendship scenes’ (one of my favorite soap friendships being Curtis and Laura), and a really excellent cast.

Soap Wishes 2022
    Y&R: Stop the Devon-Dominic storyline dead in its tracks. Less Adam (unless it’s with Sally) and less Chelsea. Bring back Kyle and Summer. More compelling storylines for all the vets, especially Victor, Nikki and Jack. Cast a charismatic Asian actor to play Jack’s son Keemo. Dial down on Billy and his never-ending crises — the character has become incredibly annoying.
    B&B: Bring back Donna and have her battle Quinn and Shauna over Eric! There’s a huge story/family hole where Rick and Maya, and Bridget (especially with Deacon around!), should be. It would be great to bring back Felicia as well.
    DOOL: Get rid of Gwen and Ava. STAT. Lay off of any masks, back-from-the-dead and supernatural things for a while. Bring back Theresa.
    GH: Kill of Peter once and for all — enough! I’m very excited about the Luke’s dead storyline and can’t hold in my happiness that Kristina Wagner is on contract. Can’t wait for the Bailey/Louise denouement as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.