Home Forums Daytime TV 2021 Daytime Emmy Awards reactions thread!

2021 Daytime Emmy Awards reactions thread!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
Celtic DW
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The full list of nominees will be announced tomorrow at 12 noon EST (9 a.m. PST). They have announced the nominations for Best Lead Actress in a Daytime Drama Series (according to Entertainment Tonight’s website – which jibes with the information I was given by my source)

Best Actress:

Melissa Claire Egan, The Young and the Restless
    Genie Francis, General Hospital
    Nancy Lee Grahn, General Hospital
    Finola Hughes, General Hospital
    Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, The Bold and the Beautiful

My reaction: I am torn between Genie and Nancy for the win! They were both amazing! I actually love all 5 of these actresses, and am very happy with the 3 GH actresses nominated!

Melissa Clare Egan is the only one who has never won before; this is her 6th nomination and her first in Lead Actress. (3 for AMC, and now 3 for Y&R).

This is Genie Francis’s 2nd Lead Actress Emmy nomination. She won for Supporting Actress. I believe this is her 4th nomination. (She was nominated for her role on Y&R once (2011), and this is her 3rd for playing Laura on GH – 1997, 2006 and 2020.

Jacqueline MacInnes Wood won 2 years ago. It was her 5th nomination (2 for Younger Actress – 2011 and 2012, one for Supporting Actress – 2017, and 2 for Lead Actress – 2018 and 2020).

Nancy Lee Grahn has 2 Supporting Actress wins, for Santa Barbara and GH, but has never won in the Lead Actress category. This is her 10th nomination and 6th in the Lead Actress category.

Finola Hughes won for GH in 1991. This is her 9th nomination – 7th for Lead Actress: GH in 1990, 1991, 2015, 2019 and 2020, and twice for AMC for 1999 and 2001 – and twice for Supporting Actress for 2014 and 2016)

We will learn the rest of the nominees tomorrow!

Profile picture
    adeja_0724
    Topics:

Im going to go on a limb and tell you all who I know is going to win without a doubt…it’s Jacqueline MacIness Wood. She definitely picked episodes surrounding Steffy’s pill addiction. Addiction storylines usually win Emmys if the actor levitate the material and she delivered in spades. No shade to the other nominees but I said this in a recent post and I was right. I felt this way previously about Heather Tom, Eileen Davidson, Gina Tognoni, and Mary Beth Evans being nominated and winning and I was right. This is Wood’s Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MBM
    Topics:

Not even a race, this is Woods Emmy all the way and this one is 1000% deserved. Her addiction performances screamed Emmy award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adeja_0724
    Topics:

Not even a race, this is Woods Emmy all the way and this one is 1000% deserved. Her addiction performances screamed Emmy award.

Someone finally agreed with me I bet her reel is a killer one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I didn’t watch much of B&B during 2020 but I did watch those pill addiction episodes because somebody cited them on here at the time – JMW was excellent but I won’t be rooting for her to win. I will be rooting for Genie and Nancy this year. It is often the case that the one most people think will win doesn’t win this category. I am glad there are no category frauds, even though I thought Genie might be in Supporting Actress – she was borderline lead/supporting in 2020, due to a long break during the covid pandemic. I find myself wanting Genie to win a Lead Actress Emmy but then I also would love for Nancy to win a Lead Actress Emmy!

Looking forward to learning the rest of the nominees tomorrow!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Im going to go on a limb and tell you all who I know is going to win without a doubt…it’s Jacqueline MacIness Wood. She definitely picked episodes surrounding Steffy’s pill addiction. Addiction storylines usually win Emmys if the actor levitate the material and she delivered in spades. No shade to the other nominees but I said this in a recent post and I was right. I felt this way previously about Heather Tom, Eileen Davidson, Gina Tognoni, and Mary Beth Evans being nominated and winning and I was right. This is Wood’s Emmy.

Yes indeed. When I saw that episode, I was saying to myself that she’s gonna win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adeja_0724
    Topics:

I always get this category right. I watched all four soaps last year and watching Steffys addiction storyline really entertained me. I wonder what Egan put on her reel. I’m curious. Francis, Grahn, and Hughes are great actresses and I love their work but this Emmy belongs to Wood. Mark my words.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I will admit that when I read someone saying they are always right I root against whoever they are talking about!!! Her scenes were excellent and she could win but will they really give CBS 5 Best Lead Actress Emmys in a row? and 3 to B&B? Yes, OLTL has had 3 in a row twice in the category (Judith Light twice, then Robin Strasser; Hillary B Smith, then Erika Slezak twice) but it’s extremely rare. It’s time for a GH actress to win!!! At least all 5 actresses gave strong performances in 2020 and while I think Sharon Case was much stronger than MCE I can understand that those scenes when Chelsea was being driven crazy were very effective, as were all the earlier scenes around trust issues with Adam and custody of Connor.

For me the two best performances by actresses in 2020 were delivered by Genie Francis and Nancy Lee Grahn! They both won Goldies awards this past year, with Genie winning for Performer of the Year as well as Supporting Actress, and Nancy winning Best Actress. (JMW was nominated for Best Actress by us as well). I vividly remember Laura confronting Nikolas when he returned from the dead, and the scenes around Lulu’s being injured in the bombing and the work she did during the Cyrus and Martin scenes too. Nancy was phenomenal in her scenes around the death of her new boyfriend, her alcohol addiction, and was the actress cited the most in 2020 for so many different episodes! Finola Hughes did great dual work as Anna and Alex and everything around her trust issues with Peter and her relationship with Finn were great too. We have five really terrific actresses nominated this year! I hope a GH actress wins though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adeja_0724
    Topics:

I understand we all have our favorites in each category but the fact remains that its really up to the blue ribbon panel and what’s in each reel. I think Grahn will lose because of the screaming and the over the top reels she always turns in. The two Emmys she has won were for subtle performances. Maybe if she chose are more heartfelt reel with no screaming maybe 🐚 win Lead Actress. I would have to know what Egan submitted. I’m curious but I know it’s good. For all we know she could be the dark horse in this category. I won’t rule out Francis. She’s always a powerhouse. I loved her scenes finding out Nikolas was alive and her scenes with a comatose Lulu. Idk about Hughes. Maybe they should give her a storyline that makes sense. Im rooting hard for Wood. She deserves it for a heart wrenching performance of a woman battling a pill addiction. These are the same kind of storylines that won  Linda Dano and Maura West their Emmys for AW and ATWT. My choice is locked in. Wood for the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

The only actress in this category who was a Lead is Woods and while I can admit that she delivered in those addiction episodes, her winning again would be a huge disappointment.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Grahn’s reel are not screaming and over the top, that is utter nonsense!

The only one of these nominees who was borderline lead/support is Genie Francis. The other 4 were all definitely leads in 2020.

I have a feeling Mark Grossman is going to be on the Lead Actor nominee list.

I am really hoping for a better group of Supporting Actress nominees this year – I was very disappointed by last year’s with the exception of the winner, Tamara Braun.

I didn’t expect Days to get a Lead Actress nomination, but I am hoping it will do really well in the other categories tomorrow.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Saw the Lead Actress nomination and I am DEFINITELY rooting for Jacqueline MacInnes Wood. 😃👍

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I see that they tweaked the voting process again this year and did just one round of voting, which they did last year, but they also eliminated the second round, so they have said that some categories won’t have 5 nominees this year ): I am hoping that the soaps categories will all have a full 5 nominees each.

I am hoping the other acting categories are as strong as the Best Actress category! I hope they don’t “round up the usual suspects” like they usually do, especially in the Best Actor category. I can’t wait for it to be 12 noon EST!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MBM
    Topics:

Melissa Claire Egan could definitely win in 2022. Her breakdown at the Newman Ranch a couple weeks ago in front of Victor and Michael was a classic unraveling Emmy tape. She had material post-pandemic shut down in 2020 that was good, but nothing that jumped out at me as award worthy. That’s not to say she couldn’t have pieced together a strong enough reel. I’ve actually been very impressed with what MCE has done for the first 5 months of 2021. Most of it from a chair and all with her eyes and then when she was able to let loose, it was riveting and MCE nailed it.

Nonetheless this years award goes to JMW. Entertaining another possibility is folly. You can spout any award stats you want, but JMW gave a performance that transcended and made everyone around her seem award worthy as well. I wouldn’t be shocked if we saw Thorsten Kayes name later today. His work in those addiction scenes alongside Woods were some of his best work on daytime in quite a long time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Celtic DW
    Topics:

Melissa Claire Egan could definitely win in 2022. Her breakdown at the Newman Ranch a couple weeks ago in front of Victor and Michael was a classic unraveling Emmy tape. She had material post-pandemic shut down in 2020 that was good, but nothing that jumped out at me as award worthy. That’s not to say she couldn’t have pieced together a strong enough reel. I’ve actually been very impressed with what MCE has done for the first 5 months of 2021. Most of it from a chair and all with her eyes and then when she was able to let loose, it was riveting and MCE nailed it.

Nonetheless this years award goes to JMW. Entertaining another possibility is folly. You can spout any award stats you want, but JMW gave a performance that transcended and made everyone around her seem award worthy as well. I wouldn’t be shocked if we saw Thorsten Kayes name later today. His work in those addiction scenes alongside Woods were some of his best work on daytime in quite a long time.

Melissa Claire Egan was amazing this year as Chelsea and I agree about her breakdown at the ranch and her stroke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.