Home Forums Daytime TV 2021 Daytime Emmy reels discussion thread

2021 Daytime Emmy reels discussion thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
ardejahcathar..
EmmyLoser
  • Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

There is a lot of industry love for both Maurice & Genie!

With the “State of Mind” talk/like show on YouTube, Maurice has interviews stars from all the soaps; they’ve spoken to their admiration of his work, past and present!

Genie is beloved by so many in the industry. Heather Tom posted at how excited she was to actually sit and dine with her at the Ladies Luncheon.

Who knows!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

I agree that Kaye was great in those scenes; however, felt that his scenes with the intervention were more supporting than lead! He wasn’t driving or dictating story; he was there to help move things forward.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Lead actor is sounding like quite a race!

Generally speaking, I tend to think winners are picked based very strongly on the reels, but obviously if there’s a general perception of someone going into those, it can affect how they are viewed. I know that people in the industry love Maurice (even after that gross incident where he and Ingo Rademacher were rudely talking trash Nancy Lee Grahn on a live stream he was doing), but I wonder what the comparison is like in terms of popularity and desire for him to win (another) Emmy versus is competitors. Steve Burton’s been on two of the four shows recently (his time at DAYS was ages ago), and like Maurice, he already has two Emmys, but none in this category. Wally Kurth is currently on both DAYS and GH, and voters might have felt more strongly about his reel based on seeing his work as a second character. Thorsten Kaye seems very popular among his co-stars and people who know him (that comment about the picture frame from Rite-Aid is hilarious), and has been around soaps for decades now without an Emmy win. Dominic Zamprogna just returned to GH last year, and though he’s done good work and doesn’t have an Emmy yet, it’s hard to me to see a narrative that pushes him ahead the way some of these others could. Based on external factors, he seems out of it.

Based on the reel descriptions, I think Maurice, Wally and Thorsten are probably the top three contenders. If the reels were all equally good, I’d put money on Wally at this point based on his lack of a win to date and long-standing presence at two shows, but I don’t assume the reels are equally good. Not being able to see them is really bugging me.

With the lead actresses, Melissa Claire Egan is the only one without an Emmy win to date, but I don’t know if there’s ever been a feeling that she’s overdue or a narrative where people have said she needs to get a win soon. On other hand, there seems to be something of a hunger in the fanverse to anoint Genie Francis with a lead win at the Emmys. That won’t translate exactly for the industry people who voted, but I think the feeling probably exists among them as well. Again, if all the reels were equally good, I don’t think anyone would even come close to Genie in the external factors that would push her ahead, but the reels aren’t equally good. But if I’m guessing, I’d put Genie first, Melissa fifth, and JMW, NLG and Finola Hughes in between.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

I am with you, EmmyLoser! I think there are some races where it’s impossible to guess who’s out front vs. not, especially that we do not have full reel descriptions from everyone.

For Actor; while I think it’s Maurice vs Wally; I wouldn’t be shocked if we were all thrown for a loop and Dominic prevails!

For Actress; I think there is enough industry support for Genie to bring her across the finish line. She has a very layered reel from Lulu going into a coma and all her hospital scenes to the reveal that she is related to Cyrus! I think Ghran and Wood have similarities in that both their big stories were about addiction.

Many people on these boards speak about vote splitting; especially that GH has multiple noms in each category. I am not at all convinced that the vote split applies any longer given the way that nominees and winners are decided. If I understand the format correctly, nominees and winners are decided in the same format and it is the performer with the highest percentage point to prevail; a split does not matter. Voters arrange the performers on a scale of 1 to 5…so technically the most 1’s and 2’s combined win (similar to how Best Picture at the OSCARs is decided).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

It’s very frustrating that we still don’t know so much information to make educated guesses for our predictions for Friday. I was looking all over the place to see what Nancy Lee Grahn’s submission is – Alexis had so many powerful Emmy-worthy scenes, everything from the intervention, to the death of a boyfriend and the ddeath of Julian, her ex-husband, and a further descent into alcoholism – she really would be a deserving winner but then so would Genie as well… We only have 3 more days to find out about the other nominees and I also really wish we had more information about Drama Series, Directing Team, and Writing too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Yeah, I agree, StallionCity. Vote splitting isn’t really a factor, at least not in the way that people tend to interpret it on these boards. At this point, if there is vote-splitting to consider, it would be more along the lines of whether a show only submitted one or two performers in a category where all other shows submitted seven or eight. That’s where any vote splitting would have had to occur because the overall pool of entrants is the pool from which there was voting. In that case, yes, a contingent of people supporting a show with just one or two candidates could unduly elevate those one or two candidates at the expense of the others. But even that effect feels relatively minor compared to the idea that three nominees out of five coming from one show would induce vote splitting. Instead, it actually indicates that the support for that show seemed stronger overall.

Sadly, I’m throwing up my hands at this point when it comes to finding out more about the reels. The awards are less than 72 hours away. I’ll just see what we see when they air on Friday.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

I wonder what peer voting was like in the 70s and 80s. I can only imagine

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

We were still missing information on Victoria Platt’s submission, right? I just saw this on Daytime Confidential:

“I showed on my reel lots of scenes with Paul Telfer (Xander). He was the one blackmailing me and threatening me. In real life, Paul is a beautiful human. Onscreen, when he turns it on [it’s intense!] He would apologize after our scenes [due to the intensity], but I thanked him. We really need to get in there to play.

My reel ends with Ari [Zucker, Nicole] where Amanda is explaining how [the kidnapping] all happened. She’s remorseful and ashamed and embarrassed. Amanda regrets the whole thing. In my reel, you see the threats, the distress, the tears, and the emotional release.”

Honestly, this reels sounds dynamite. I remember being really taken with Victoria Platt’s performances during the storyline. There are a lot of strong performances in this category, but Platt feels like a contender to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

Steve Burton & Bradford Anderson have a YouTube “show” and they’ve been doing Emmy Chats with their nominated co-stars.

Carolyn Hennesy was a guest and revealed that she submitted the scenes during Alexis’ Intervention which culminated in everyone getting the ‘alert’ that the floating rib exploded and coupled them with scenes with Alexis/Sam when they confronted Alexis at the Police Station later (this sounds like Alexis was “set-up” with her DUI by Tracy)!

Dominic Zamprogna also “guested” and confirmed his reel contained the following: Scenes with Sonny at the church once Mike’s memorial came to end; followed by scenes with Lulu at her house at his return, to the scenes with Sonny at the hospital right after the Floating Rib exploded to scenes with Lulu at her bedside! He did say there was a spinkle of Olivia in there but he couldn’t seem to recall!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    StallionCity
    Topics:

I just re-watched the big Michael Fairman, Daytime Emmy Nominations Special 2021. Adam Sharp, President, NATAS came on for about 5 minutes and said cited very specific stories about the 4 soaps and made me wonder; is it possible this is what was submitted for Drama Series?

B&B: Steffy’s opioid addiction
    DAYS: build up to the big wedding
    GH: Mike dies from Alzheimer’s
    Y&R: Faith Newman’s bullying

Thoughts? Ideas?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I don’t think Faith’s bullying storyline was in 2020, unless it started at the very end of the year – most of that storyline was definitely in 2021.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Some of these seem more plausible as drama series submissions than others. I could see B&B submitting Steffy’s addiction and GH submitting something from Mike’s death, but it seems less likely to me that Y&R would have submitted episodes surrounding Faith’s bullying for drama series. DAYS could have submitted episodes surrounding (I assume) Ben and Ciara’s wedding, though the aftermath was more compelling than the leadup.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Just saw an interview of Briana Henry and she said that she submitted the breakup with Curtis scenes and unspecified scenes with Cyrus for her Emmy reel. She didn’t get into the specifics but this is what I expected, although I thought maybe she would submit the scene where she is confronted by T.J. and responds to him about her motives in what she had done in regards to Cyrus.

Also: really surprised to learn that Steve Burton submitted all supporting work from the Alzheimer’s storyline and not the breakup scenes with Sam or the Floating Rib scenes. He said he combined scenes with Sonny, Mike, Carly, Josslyn and ended it with the scene at Mike’s funeral. He said he thinks Maurice is going to win (I really am hoping for Wally Kurth to win in their category).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

So if we’re keeping track Maurice is playing out beats from the Alzheimer story in his own reel, Steve’s reel, and Dom’s reel? Sounds like quite an advantage. I remember Steve being very good in all of those scenes surrounding Mike’s death, though I also remember him not being that involved in the storyline. This also kind of makes me wonder who else submitted in this category and what they submitted.

It’s surprising to remember how long Jordan and Curtis have been broken up. It seems like something that must have happened this year, but then I remember people talking about him not being home with Jordan for Christmas, so it was quite a while ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

I think I was most surprised that Dom Zamprogna didn’t submit any of his work surrounding Dante’s PTSD and time spent at the WSB Facility in Switzerland. Those scenes where Olivia pays Dante a visit and is talking to him through the door were heartbreaking and should’ve earned both him and Lisa LoCicero nominations.

Honestly, this reels sounds dynamite. I remember being really taken with Victoria Platt’s performances during the storyline. There are a lot of strong performances in this category, but Platt feels like a contender to win.

I remember those episodes well and Victoria Platt was very good in those scenes. I agree, we could be underestimating her chances. I’m moving her up in my predix accordingly!

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.