Home Forums Daytime TV 2022 Daytime Emmy citations thread

2022 Daytime Emmy citations thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
Mootzic

• FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

A brand new year and it’s time for a brand new thread where we share performances that we think should be remembered at the following year’s Emmys.

My first citation of 2022 is Cynthia Watros as Nina Reeves on General Hospital. Nina has driven Sonny home to his hotel room. He is drunk, she explains that she did not tell Scotty about their love in Nixon Falls. She goes to leave but Sonny asks her to stay… Cynthia is just such a magnificent actress and she delivers yet another great performance!

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Jane Elliot and Genie Francis for General Hopsital. Tracy shows up at Laura’s door and tells her that Luke has died in a freak accident. These two legendary actresses perform brilliantly not only in their scene together but in subsequent scenes – for Laura it’s with husband Kevin and Luke’s sister Bobbie, and for for Tracy it’s Monica and Brooklynn. Just beautiful performances!

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing the writers of General Hospital for Best Writing for a Drama Series. Carly and Sonny talk about his feelings for Nina; Joss, Cam, and Esme talk about their past mistakes and their friendships with Spencer; Ava, Spencer, and Trina meet at the Metro Court; Phyllis is very honest with Nina about what she believes Nina needs to do about Sonny; Chase and Brooklynn and Chase and Finn have great scenes, as well as Finn and Elizabeth. Each and every scene was exceptionally well written!

ReplyCopy URL

MBM
    Topics:

Thursday, January 27, 2022
    DAYS OF OUR LIVES S57 E93

Supporting Actor – Kevin Spirtas as Craig Wesley
    Supporting Actress – Nadia Bjorlin as Chloe Lane

Chloe overhears a phone call of Craigs. She demands to know if he really is cheating on Nancy. Craig not only admits to having an affair, but that it is with a man. Chloe, unsure of what to say asks if this means her father is gay. Craig unsure of how to answer his daughter explains he’s attracted to men, and if that makes him gay, then yes he is gay. Chloe demands her father to end the affair and Craig refuses because he’s in love with the man.

The story will have his supporters and detractors for sure, but so far it was done with a tender authenticity that brought two exceptional performances from these two DAYS vets. Kevin Spirtas & Nadia Bjorlin gave the most natural and authentically grounded performances that have the emotional intensity that can win a Daytime Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I agree that both gave good performances. I was very surprised by how good Nadia Bjorlin was in those scenes. These grown considerably as an actress.

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Have we been slacking on putting citations in this thread, or have the shows been slacking in producing things worth citing? Here’s another one from last week:

Thursday, January 27, 2022
    General Hospital
    Outstanding Younger Performer
    Sydney Mikayla — Trina Robinson

Trina is given a hot toddy that’s been drugged by Esme, who initiates a game over Never Have I Ever with the group. As the drug takes effect, Trina becomes sluggish, confused and emotional, with Esme manipulating the situation to make Trina uncomfortable and embarrassed by harping on Trina’s connection with Cam. After a fraught exchange about how Trina felt when Joss and Cam started dating, Trina runs out of the room in tears.

There were some issues with these scenes — the show depicting a teenage girl getting drugged while hanging out with friends and neither saying nor showing how someone would responsibly respond to that was not great — but I thought Sydney did an excellent job with the material she was given. Since Sydney is still 18 (her birthday is tomorrow!), she’s still eligible as a younger performer for 2022.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I meant to cite Cynthia Watros for her work in the episode where Sonny is off his meds and she is trying to help him and has difficulty deciding just what to do. Not sure which day that was last week…

and I agree wholeheartedly with the citation for Sydney Mikayla from last week too!

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Kirsten Storms for her performance as Maxie persuades Peter to leave Louise behind and for the two of them to go off alone together… another outstanding performance from Ms. Storms! (:

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Monday, February 7 and Tuesday, February 8, 2022
    General Hospital
    Outstanding Drama Series

On Monday, Brook Lynn and Chase alert the authorities that Peter has kidnapped Bailey. Family and friends worry about Mac’s prognosis after he’s shot by Peter. After learning that Peter has kidnapped Bailey, Maxie revels to Felicia and Robert that Bailey is actually Louise. Nina shows up at the Haunted Star concerned about Sonny. He assures her that he’s not in any danger health-wise, and the two have a heart-to-heart which leads to them having sex. Carly arrives at the Haunted Star just in time to see them in bed together. On Tuesday, Carly and Sonny argue about Nina, Jason and the distance between them, and Carly declares their marriage is over. Drew realizes how committed Sam is to Dante. Brook Lynn, Chase and Maxie reveal the truth of Bailey’s identity to Anna, Dante, Ned, and the authorities. Peter kidnaps Charlotte to gain leverage over Victor. Everyone tries to anticipate Peter’s next move.

These episodes were exciting, tense, and emotional, and paid off various storyline arcs that had been in development for many months. The acting and dialogue were very well done, and in both episodes, you can’t wait to see what will happen next. These would probably make strong writing submissions as well, though I think the show might have better options, as much of the writing for Carly in the Monday episode and Peter in the Tuesday episode feel like weak points to me.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Eden McCoy (Josslyn, GH) and William Lipton (Cameron, GH) for their work as they tell their respective mothers about the sex video – really excellent work from both of them!

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Sydney Mikayla (Trina, GH) and Nicholas Alexander Chavez (Spencer, GH) for their subtle performances on today’s episode – Trina is resolved to end her friendship with Spencer and Spencer recognizes his errors of his ways. Very fine acting – an honorable mention to Avery Kristen Pohl (Esme, GH) for her work too – she really does seem to be in pain despite her evil actions….

ReplyCopy URL

alokin
    Topics:

^^^ I’d extend that citation to Friday’s 3/18 show, for Chavez and Pohl as well. They play off each other really well in these scenes, where Spencer resumes his conversation with Esme all while his suspicions continue to grow. Honorable mention also to Laura Wright and Cameron Mathison for Carly and Drew’s conversation on the bridge as they bond over their loss of Jason. An all-around very lovely script by Lucky Gold and Co..

ReplyCopy URL

The BC 2.0
    Topics:

The Young and the Restless
    3/23/2022

Lead Actress – Amelia Heinle as Victoria Newman Locke
    Supporting Actor – Robert Newman as Ashland Locke

The Newmans stage an intervention and convince Victoria to leave Ashland, as they (Victor, Nikki, Nick, and Adam) give reasons why, including Victor telling Victoria that Ashland faked his cancer. Ashland walks in on the family intervention, and tells the Newmans that he’s done hiding, and that there is no chance for him and Victoria to escape the allegations, and he storms out. After Ashland storms out, Victoria sobs in Nikki’s arms. End of episode.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Avery Kristen Pohl (Esme, GH) – she tells Cameron that she might be pregnant. She always keeps us guessing with her acting choices: is she being sincere or is she manipulating him? What’s going on? She’s a terrific actress!

Honorable mentions to new Trina, Nicholas Alexander Chavez, William Lipton and Eden McCoy – all 5 gave terrific performances today. New Trina held her own on her first ever episode too (but I still miss Sydney of course!)

ReplyCopy URL

Mootzic
    Topics:

The Young and the Restless
    February 25, 2022
    March 9, 2022
    March 11, 2022
    March 31, 2022

Outstanding Lead Actor Peter Bergman as Jack Abbott
    Outstanding Lead Actress Michelle Stanford as Phyllis Summers
    Outstanding Supporting Actress Kelsey Wang as Allie Nguyen

Bergman carries an entire arc of shock finding his son Keemo’s obituary, grief and regret while he is alone reading his late son’s letters never sent, and spins into anguish when Phyllis tries to comfort him, his palpable hurt/compassion meeting his estranged son’s daughter, and his rage at his ex Diane when he finds out she was the one who led him to find all this out.

Stafford may fit more supporting here, but Phyllis’s time with Jack as they go through together finding answers to this past mystery of his as well as her support for him and coming to get him when she senses he is going down a rabbit hole is powerful. She serves as a rational guide through his up and down emotional journey.

Wang and Bergman meet and she leans toward suspicion even as he can see she is grieving. I think the most powerful thing for me is when he is reading her the letters his son never sent to prove Keemo didn’t hate him as much as Jack thought and that Keemo was almost at a point of forgiving him. She doesn’t want to hear it and just tells Jack to tell her what it says as she is crying.

This is all balanced out by rage for another person from Jack’s past in the last episode. Diane has put this whole meeting together as a gift of giving family to Jack, but Jack isn’t having it. While he is having a hard time accepting the kind of father he has been to Keemo, he is having an even harder time accepting the kind of mother Diane has been for his son Kyle.

I think this makes for a powerful and non-cliche storyline that could be made into a reel in 2023.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.