Home Forums Daytime TV 2022 Daytime Emmys reactions thread!

2022 Daytime Emmys reactions thread!

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Derrick_Eogha..
FreemanGriffin
akh_cat
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Ron Carlivati won, because he resurrected an old storyline, that in it’s time was a little cheesy and he made it much better this time around, that is why he won.

I thought that fans were quite divided about the possession storyline, with some of us really hating it and others just loving it’s campiness. He won because the panelists don’t really watch the soaps and do not take in to consideration overall storyline arcs. GH’s submission was much higher quality than Days submission – we will have to agree to disagree on it. (IDK what Y&R and Beyond Salem’s submissions were).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Ron Carlivati won, because he resurrected an old storyline, that in it’s time was a little cheesy and he made it much better this time around, that is why he won.

I wouldn’t say he made it much better.  I’m still stunned that he won Writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

Jumping in late to the conversation but I was SOOOOO HAPPY that John McCook won for Best Actor. I had him as my Best Actor on my 2021 Best and Worst List. He played the ED with so much dignity and believability, and he also deserved it after so many years. This was BY far my favorite win.
    I was bummed that Cynthia Watros didn’t win, and I fully agree that Amanda is a supporting character and Mishael Morgan did not belong in that category, but we know that’s the way the system works. And her chosen episodes were very good.
    Very happy about Nicholas Chavez and Kelly Thiebald. As for Jeff Kober, good for him and his episodes were good, though for some reason I wasn’t too thrilled with his win… maybe because I really hate his character so much.
    Too bad about John Aniston not being able to accept his Lifetime Achievement Award. Love him!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Thanks for the info on the GH submissions, stallioncity! I have to say, I had the opposite reaction from you, Freeman. I’m surprised that GH won drama series with those two episodes. But over the years, I have developed something of a distaste for standalone episodes being used as Emmy submissions. I can accept that Emmys have to be judged on a small sampling of what airs during the year, but that sampling should be at least somewhat representative of the rest of the year. Using episodes that are heavily disconnected from the rest of the show’s continuity feels like not even making an effort to really represent the show. I also remember thinking the Jordan/Portia conversation was excellent but not being particularly impressed with the rest of that episode. Knowing that GH submitted the same episodes for writing and series, I wonder how close DAYS might have been to winning drama series or GH might have been to winning writing.

Dan and Chris were great in their first year or so on GH, but they definitely had some ups and downs in 2021. I’d say the work they did in 2021 was on par with what Ron did at DAYS. The fact that DAYS achieved the rare feat of winning both the Emmy and the WGA award for 2021 suggests that their winning isn’t the result of a judging panel making poor decisions but instead is because the writing in the episodes they were using was strong, resonant and impactful. Of course a supernatural story like a devil possession isn’t going to be some people’s cup of tea, but that doesn’t mean the story or the episode couldn’t be well written.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mootzic
    Topics:

I’m glad CBS aired the ceremony and hopefully they’ll do it again (or any of the networks for that matter) for years to come. I also liked how each drama series clips were presented.

The hosts were not my favorites. I wish they would have talked less and showed more acting clips. Showing actors in the audience and having the bubble thing about what they were thinking and the kiss cam were dumb and a waste of time.

I wish we could have seen more acting clips and let the winners have longer times for their speeches.

I liked Sheryl Underwood and Mario Lopez when they did it a couple years in a row. They seemed to have a charisma hosting the show that worked for the show and their presence wasn’t irritating or a little much. I am grateful to be able to see it live though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

This year was the first year since 1991 – 31 years ago! – that all of the acting winners were first-time winners!

1991: Peter Bergman, Finola Hughes, Bernard Barrow, Jess Walton, Rick Hearst, and Anne Heche (the best of the winners for me! She was sensational as Vicky and Marley on Another World!)

2021: John McCook, Mishael Morgan, Jeff Kober, Kelly Thiebaud, Nicholas Chavez, and Ted King.

The only other times there were all new winners with more than 2 Emmys given were 1979 (Al Freeman, Jr., Irene Dailey, Peter Hansen, and Suzanne Rogers), 1980 (Douglass Watson, Judith Light, Larry Haines, and Francesca James), 1982 (Anthony Geary, Robin Strasser, David Lewis, and Dorothy Lyman), and 1984 (Larry Bryggman, Erika Slezak, Justin Deas, and Judi Evans). Otherwise there was always a repeat winner in at least one of the acting categories.

Drama Series and Writing have only overlapped 13 out of 48 times both awards have been given.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    youngsoapfan
    Topics:

Also Writing and Directing have matched up only 11 times throughout the years. and 4 of those were trifectas.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Daytimeemmyfan
    Topics:

Interestingly, it looks like the web “soaps” did not make the cut for primetime emmys. I thought it was pretty bad what NATAS did here switching them over. Especially for juggernaut The Bay and the surging Studio City. And Anacostia. But the soap audience didn’t really care.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

The possession story was only interesting in the beginning. After that, it got stupid real fast. It definitely did NOT need a redux. But Re-Ron is called that, for a reason. And Deidre Hall was snubbed for Lead Actress yet again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.