Home Forums Daytime TV 2022 daytime Goldies discussion thread

2022 daytime Goldies discussion thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

With one month left in 2021 it’s time to start thinking about the Goldies for our choices for the best of daytime soaps in 2021.

I have several proposals for changes in the way we go about it this year.

I would like to abandon the 4 per category in the lead actor and lead actress categories and have voters just choose which category they think a performer belongs in – if there is a vote split between lead and supporting for a performer their votes would be combined in whichever category they have more votes in.

I would like to expand the number of performers we vote for to 5 per category, with the exception being the Younger Actor and Younger Actress categories, because there are only 11 performers eligible who are under 25 in each category – how about a top 3 (or 4?) in each of those categories? There will be on extra point for first place (6 points), and then 4 points for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th. There would be 5 nominees per category rather than 4 except for the Younger Actor/Actress categories.

Last year somebody mentioned wanting to expand/change the way we do the Legacy award but I simply did not understand how to go about it. Do we want to explore a change in that category?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get more people to vote for the awards this year? There is far less excitement than there used to be, which is understandable with only 4 daytime dramas left on the air.

I very much want to continue to have the voting in January. I would like to lower the amount of days for voting and here is why: everybody either votes the first 2 days or the last 2 days with only a very rare few voting in between – so I would like for the voting to take place over a one week period. What I could do is bump up the voting announcement each day to try to catch the attention of as many people as possible.

Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

For the Legacy Award, to avoid recency bias, maybe have those individuals who passed during the current calendar year be deemed ineligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

For the Legacy Award, to avoid recency bias, maybe have those individuals who passed during the current calendar year be deemed ineligible?

I was actually thinking of maybe splitting the legacy award in two: deceased this year, and deceased previously to 2021… or another idea was to have the regular nomination round but have the top 10 finalists on the final ballot, and then vote for 3 with the top 3 vote getters getting the award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

It took me some digging to remember, but the idea that we came up with last year for the Legacy Award (actually, Sean came up with it and Freeman, alokin and I were all in favor) was as follows:

We could also do it Baseball Hall of Fame style and instead of doing it where the recipient receives the most votes, we pick a vote threshold (say 2/3 of ballots cast) and vote for as many as we want. That way we can honor as many or as few as we see fit on the final ballot.

So I think this means we’d vote for nominees like usual, but when we start to vote for winners, people could vote for as few or as many nominees as they like, and any nominee that gets a certain percentage of votes would be a Legacy Award recipient. We would have to establish the specific threshold.

We also discussed the possibility of making it so that a person has to have been deceased since the start of the eligibility period (i.e., for the 2022 Goldies Awards, the person would have had to pass away prior to 2021).

Thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

Yeah I had to pull that up as well (been a busy yeah) and that’s what I want to push for again. I also would agree with the rule about dying prior to the eligibility period being part  of the rules.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

^^^ Still sounds like a good plan! I think a 75% voting threshold feels reasonable?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I will simply express my opinion that I am against the rule change around the date of death – with more than one winner I don’t think recency would factor in the way it does with only one winner. I think 66% makes much more sense than 75%.

So let me make sure I understand: the first round we vote for each of our five and then all of those names are on the ballot for the second round; in the second round we vote for as many as we like (or should we have a limit of say 5?) and then anyone who has gotten more than the percentage of votes we have agreed upon is a winner? I really believe that this would solve the recency issue.

I can only think of five performers who have passed away this year and I do not believe they would all win as two of them are less known, one was on his soap for 41 years but isn’t a huge fan favorite (Ray MacDonnell) and two are legendary performers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

My feeling was that we’d create a list of nominees as usual for the Legacy Award, and then those four or five nominees would be the ones we’re voting on in the style suggested above. But maybe a longer list of nominees would be in order?

Just with looking at the last couple of pages of threads, I can think of six soap alums we’ve lost this year (Lisa Brown, Michael Tylo, Michael Nader, Stuart Damon, Ray McDonnell, and Jerry Douglas), and that’s mostly in the last few months. It seems very likely that these people will eclipse most of the others we’ve lost in years past who we have passed over for more recently deceased people. It’s easy to imagine the same thing happening as usual just on a larger scale. For that reason, I’d still be in favor of restricting eligibility and getting people to think a little rather than picking the first people in mind. We could even announce notable names of who is joining the eligibility class in future years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

^^^ I second this. Plus, I wouldn’t mind seeing the list of nominees for the Legacy Award expanded from the usual four/five to, say, ten nominees, just to allow for more options.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

FreemanGriffin, “two of them are less known, one was on his soap for 41 years but isn’t a huge fan favorite (Ray MacDonnell) and two are legendary performers.”

I was wondering who were the two performers you labeled “less known” and who were the two legendary ones. I assume you meant Michael Tylo and Michael Nader as the “less known”?

And you said five in total, which means you missed one of the six.

I’m just very curious.

On Ray MacDonnell, I see what you mean; he certainly wasn’t the most popular of soap patriarchs. On the “What soap could you never get into?” thread, I talked about “All My Children”. I started watching in the mid-90s and I remember that the Martins weren’t really featured that much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I forgot about Michael Nader’s passing. He was good as Dimitri but he wasn’t legendary. I was thinking about Ben Jorgeson, who committed suicide this past year, who was on All My Children and As the World Turns as a less known performer who passed. For me the two absolute all-time legends who passed away this year have been Lisa Brown (Nola, GL and Iva, ATWT) and Stuart Damon (Alan, GH). Lisa Brown was on soaps for almost 20 years and Stuart Damon for more than 35 years.

If we are going to allow for as many winners as we vote for to be declared the winners I believe that the date of death issue is moot. If I am understanding correctly we just pick say five we’d like to see on the ballot and have as large a ballot as we wind up getting and then vote for as many as we want and then either a 2/3 or 3/4 votes in total gets a win for that performer? It’s important that we have easy to understand language so each voter gets what they need to do.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

If we are going to allow for as many winners as we vote for to be declared the winners I believe that the date of death issue is moot. If I am understanding correctly we just pick say five we’d like to see on the ballot and have as large a ballot as we wind up getting and then vote for as many as we want and then either a 2/3 or 3/4 votes in total gets a win for that performer? It’s important that we have easy to understand language so each voter gets what they need to do.

I don’t think we’ve been discussing having an unlimited number of nominees on the ballot. There seems to be some agreement on expanding the number of nominees to maybe be 10. Also, I still don’t think the date of death issue is moot. When people are putting together their ballots, the first people coming to mind will be the ones who passed away most recently, and they will make up the largest share of the nominees, as they do every year. Even if there are more nominees, I believe this effect will still be happening. If you’re concerned that the restriction will make the voting too complicated and perhaps deter people from voting, I would say we could just compile a list of people who passed away in 2021 and then, on the call for nominating vote, note that people are to vote for candidates who passed away prior to 2021 and list the people who will be eligible next year.

This seems to be the consensus among those of us who have chimed in:

1. Voters vote to nominate up to five candidates for the Legacy Award. Anyone who passed away prior to 2021 and has not received the award previously is eligible (list people who are ineligible because they’ve won and people who we lost in 2021 who will be eligible next year).
    2. The 10 candidates with the highest vote totals become the nominees for the award.
    3. Voters vote for as few as zero or as many as nine nominees [to me it would make sense to restrict it so that you can’t just vote for every nominee, but what do others think?] for the award.
    4. Any nominee(s) receiving votes from more than 2/3 of voters will be the winner(s) of the Legacy Award.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    soapsarecool
    Topics:

FreemanGriffin, I had forgotten about Ben Jorgensen. On the legends, I would for sure add Jerry Douglas to the list. He played John Abbott for 25 years or so and was a beloved patriarch of a lead family.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

FreemanGriffin, I had forgotten about Ben Jorgensen. On the legends, I would for sure add Jerry Douglas to the list. He played John Abbott for 25 years or so and was a beloved patriarch of a lead family.

Yes, of course: Jerry Douglas!!!

I really feel we need to be inclusive – how about we induct 10 performers this year, with no other criteria than being a beloved daytime legend who has passed away???

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am thinking of having the first round of voting between January 7th and January 17th.

I am wondering aloud if anybody has any ideas on how to get more people to vote this year? I will try to bump up the voting rules ballot thread on a daily basis but are there any other ways we could try to get more voters interested?

I am happy with all but one of the rules changes we have discussed for this year’s voting.

The only categories where we will have a definite list of “pre-nominees” is Younger Actor and Younger Actress, since they all need to have been 25 and under during the calendar year 2021; and of course performers and others who have won the Lifetime Achievement award and Legacy award are not eligible in those categories as they have already won. There have been some cast changes at General Hospital with some new younger performers under 25 in at least 3 roles but I do not know the names of those three performers to add to the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.