Home Forums Daytime TV 2022 daytime Goldies discussion thread

2022 daytime Goldies discussion thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
alokin
  • Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Can we see if we can get the attention of some of the moderators to announce the upcoming awards somewhere more visible than just in this forum? While some of us are in here more or less every day, people who aren’t as regular could miss it. Even if we can’t do the awards themselves in the prediction center like the Goldderby TV Awards, Movie Awards, etc., maybe we can get that level of visibility from Goldderby.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Here is how I would like to solve the recency bias in the Legacy Award. I propose that we have a limit of 3 recently deceased within this calendar year nominees and 7 who have been deceased earlier than 2021, for a total of 10 nominees. (If more than 3 recently deceased get enough votes only the top 3 will be put through to the next round, the others will be back the following year as potential nominees). I really don’t like excluding those who have died this past year entirely. Then we can in the second round have the 67% rule for wins for as many nominees that can achieve that threshold.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

Freeman I’m good with that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

That sounds like a fair compromise to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

No objection here. My only concern is that this revised system still cannot guarantee that some voters won’t fill out their nominations ballot with just individuals that have passed during the current calendar year. But, we can give it a try and see how it goes…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

No objection here. My only concern is that this revised system still cannot guarantee that some voters won’t fill out their nominations ballot with just individuals that have passed during the current calendar year. But, we can give it a try and see how it goes…

It won’t matter if some voters do what you have described because only the top 3 deceased within the calendar year 2021 will be included in the final ballot of 10 even if there are more than 3 top vote getters from the former category. So there will be a 3 to 7 split on the final ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

If nobody objects I would like to combine the younger acting categories into one Younger Performer category this year. We will have five nominees and there are 25 younger performers to cull our five nominees from this year if we do so. If there are strenuous objections then I would ask how many nominees should we have as there simply aren’t five potential nominees (in my opinion at least) for Younger Actor?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

It would be my inclination not to combine the younger categories, but I don’t feel that strongly about it. It feels a little arbitrary to decide to combine the categories on the weakness of the younger actors when there are more than a dozen potential candidates we’ve named who could be nominated (unless we feel some of those actors should not be eligible for one reason or another). But I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Did we discuss how (and whether) we’ll consider the DAYS offshoots? Given that they’re streaming only, would we just consider them to be outside the scope of our awards (like the other streaming soaps) or do they become attached to DAYS in some aspects? Or is this a larger conversation with whether or not they’d be considered as part of the Goldderby TV awards (since they could be considered a viable miniseries and made-for-television movie when taken on their own)? I don’t think this is will actually matter in terms of the awards outcome, but academically it seems like something we should consider in case there are more of these sort of things from more shows going forward.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I hadn’t even thought of Beyond Salem as part of the conversation. I almost see it as not daytime at all? What do others think?

If others also feel that we ought not separate the genders for Younger Actor and Younger Actress that’s fine with me but I don’t think we should have five nominees with only 12-13 eligible performers – what do others think?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I agree re: Beyond Salem and A Very Salem Christmas. I don’t think either really falls under the daytime umbrella, so for now it makes sense not to consider them with the Goldies.

I’d also agree that if we do keep the younger acting categories separate, five nominees is too many. Four seems like a good number to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I agree re: Beyond Salem and A Very Salem Christmas. I don’t think either really falls under the daytime umbrella, so for now it makes sense not to consider them with the Goldies.

I’d also agree that if we do keep the younger acting categories separate, five nominees is too many. Four seems like a good number to me.

O.K., four it is.
    I have compiled my lists for the Younger Actor (14 performers) and Younger Actress (13 performers) category, and written down all the names of previous winners of Lifetime Achievement and the Legacy award (the people we can’t vote for because they have already won in the past!). We will vote for 4 in each of those two categories but five in all other categories.

My understanding is that in the first round of voting for the Legacy award we will still all put down our top five and they will receive points based on our votes; then a maximum of 3 deceased within 2021 and a minimum of 7 deceased before 2021 will comprise a final ballot of 10. Then we vote “Hall of Fame” style for as many as we want in the second round and anyone who gets more than 2/3 percentage of votes on the ballots will be declared winners. Is that correct?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    youngsoapfan
    Topics:

I almost feel as though if anyone was nominated for their work in beyond salem or very salem christmas, they’d either be eligible in guest categories, or a new miniseries category would need to be brought into the equation.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Agree with all the aforementioned changes.

I suppose we could make those actors starring in the DAYS offshoots who are not regular DAYS cast members (like Lisa Rinna, Greg Rikaart, etc.) eligible for recognition in the guest performer category?

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.