Home Forums Daytime TV 2023 Daytime Emmy citations thread

2023 Daytime Emmy citations thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
replies
views
users
paulv
EmmyLoser
FreemanGriffin

• FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Another year and another Daytime Emmy citations thread! Any time you feel that someone or producers, directors, writers ought to consider submitting their work for Emmy consideration please post it here!

I am starting with several citations: Eden McCoy (Josslyn) and William Lipton (Cam) on General Hospital – Joss tells Cam that things have changed and they break up – great work from both of them today!

I am also citing Kathleen Gati (Liesl) for General Hospital – I would cite Kelly Thiebaud (Britt) but this was her last episode (maybe Guest Performer?)… Britt has been hooked and Liesl learns of it; Britt dies from her wounds… heartbreaking ):

Also: Maura West (Ava) – love her slapping Nikolas when he admits the baby is his. Genie Francis (Laura) – great work with Maura in particular!

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

^^^Great performances all around, and I think this could also work as a Drama Series submission. Ultimately, everything that’s happening is tied to the Hook killings, and even the quieter scenes that could be seen as too downbeat (the Ava/Laura conversation) connect back to the Esme story and, by the end, lead to the revelation that Nikolas got Esme pregnant.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Katelyn MacMullen (Willow, GH) – I don’t like Willow all that much but Katelyn has been doing a great job of showing her illness, and she was really effective today with her feelings of guilt over her decision making during her illness. She’s been really effective in this storyline.

ReplyCopy URL

Paul Vargo
    Topics:

1/9/2013
    Outstanding Guest Start Bryan Dattilo as Lucas Horton
    Lucas is devested when Rex calls him with news of Kate Death

1/10/2013

Outstanding Lead Actor Greg Vaugh as Eric Brady

Eric holds Kirstin at gun point and rips into her for being responsible for Marlena likely dying

Also think Eric Maltsolf has a number of strong screens over the past few episodes as Eric finally lets his angry and hurt out at Kirsten.

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

A few I’d like to add in from the past few days:

Days of our Lives
    Friday, January 6, 2023
    Outstanding Supporting Actress — Lauren Koslow (Kate Roberts)
    Monday, January 9, 2023
    Outstanding Supporting Actress — Mary Beth Evans (Dr. Kayla Johnson)
    Outstanding Lead Actress — Deidre Hall (Dr. Marlena Evans)

On Friday, Kate insists that she doesn’t want to go to the hospital, despite her concerning test results and weakening condition. After she faints, she wakes up in the hospital and says she doesn’t want to die there. Her condition declines rapidly, and she flatlines, the doctors unable to revive her.

On Monday, Kayla’s condition worsens and she’s saddened and afraid when she learns Kate has died. She tries to comfort Roman, and has what she knows will be her last conversation with Joey and Tripp over the phone. She tries to hold on until Stephanie can arrive, but doesn’t make it and flatlines. Marlena and John try to figure out who might have taken the orchid as she rests in bed. She tries to counsel Eric on the life issues he’s been having, and is devastated to find out that Kate, and later Kayla, has died.

I know I know, these deaths likely won’t stick, but the fear and devastation of thinking you’re about to die don’t change based on whether you actually die or not. All three actresses are incredible in this story, as are many of the supporting performances. Stephen Nichols is fantastic in the scenes with MBE, he just doesn’t get much of a spotlight.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am again citing Eden McCoy (Josslyn, GH) for her beautiful performance today as she recounts Oscar’s death from cancer and deals with Willow’s diagnosis. Eden has now given two episodes of amazing performances that should give her an Emmy nomination next year. She made me cry – of course two of my long-term partners died from cancer, and my sister and my father ): I know this particular grief all too well ):

ReplyCopy URL

Paul Vargo
    Topics:

1/11/2023

Outstanding Lead Actor Eric Maltsolf
    Outstanding Lead Actress Nadia Bjorlin

Brady is heartbroken after Chloe turns down his attempt to get back together and she tells him her feelings for Stefan are real.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Cynthia Watros (Nina, GH) for her work today as Nina tells Willow that she is her birth mother. My heart ached for Nina as Willow continues to attack her viciously at every turn… CW was great today!

ReplyCopy URL

Paul Vargo
    Topics:

1/16/2023 days of our lives

Outstanding Supporting Actor Zack Tinker (Sonny Kiriakis)
    Outstanding Supporting Actor Greg Rikaart (Leo Stark)

Sonny confronts Leo about his part in helping Xander during Bonnie kidnapping and demands he leaves the Kiriakis Mansion.

ReplyCopy URL

alokin
    Topics:

Yes, another powerhouse performance from Cynthia Watros! Katelyn MacMullen delivered some very nice work here too, particularly in her display of Willow’s initial shock over learning that she is Nina’s biological daughter, and her simmering feelings of mistrust throughout her conversation with Nina.

I am citing Katelyn MacMullen (Willow, GH) – I don’t like Willow all that much but Katelyn has been doing a great job of showing her illness, and she was really effective today with her feelings of guilt over her decision making during her illness. She’s been really effective in this storyline.

I’ll extend this citation for the Tuesday, 1/10 episode to two more excellent performances by Cameron Mathison and Laura Wright, as Carly learns from Drew that Willow has leukemia, and subsequently confesses to him that Nina is Willow’s birth mother.

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I agree that Cynthia Watros was wonderful in yesterday’s episode, and I thought Katelyn MacMullen, Chad Duell, Maurice Benard, and Laura Wright also all did a nice job supporting that storyline with their performances. I’ll also echo the kudos for Zack Tinker and Greg Rikaart. I was really not expecting to feel so sad over this rift, but both Sonny and Leo seemed genuinely and deeply wounded by what was happening.

ReplyCopy URL

alokin
    Topics:

Monday and Tuesday, January 16-17, 2023

Outstanding Lead Actress: Heather Tom (Katie Logan), B&B

Katie pleads with Bill to come to his senses and put Sheila back behind bars.

An exquisite set of soul-stirring performances that simply blew me away. Just give Heather the Emmy now!

ReplyCopy URL

Paul Vargo
    Topics:

1/19/2023

Outstanding Drama Series Days of Our Lives
    Outstanding Writing in A Drama Series
    Outstanding Lead Actor Drake Hogestny (John Black)
    Outstanding Lead Actress Deidre Hall (Marlena Evens Black)
    Outstanding Supporting Actress Martha Madison (Belle Brady)

Sarah fights to stabilize Marlena after she coded blue. Belle returns to town and visits a dying Marlena. John, Brady, Allie, Eric hold pray at the hospital Chapel. Rafe and Jade to try find and arrest Kirsten. Kirsten blackmails EJ into letting leave with Rachel. Eric catches Kirsten before she can leave town with Rachel and have her arrested.

ReplyCopy URL

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am citing Cynthia Watros for her work today in scenes with Liesl and Sonny – she cares so deeply and is so sad yet hopeful – and angry at Carly! Superlative work from her!

ReplyCopy URL

Paul Vargo
    Topics:

1/20/2023

Days of Our Lives
    Outstanding Drama Series
    Outstanding Writing in A Drama Series
    Outstanding Direction in a Drama Series
    Outstanding Lead Actor Drake Hogestny (John Black)
    Outstanding Leading Actress Deidre Hall (Marlena Evens Black)
    Outstanding Supporting Actor Carson Boatman (Johnny Dimera)
    Outstanding Younger Actress Raven Bowens (Chanel Durpee)

Marlena pass out in John arms as they watch a Photo Album of their life together. Johnny and Raven bond as they set up the rooftop for John’s surprise to Marlena. After failing to obtein EJ help, Kirsten talks immunity deal with Rafe and Jade. EJ confess to Stefan about how he knew about his Brain washing and did not say anything. Brady tries to deal with upset Rachel over Kirsten going back to jail.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.