Home Forums Daytime TV Ballot for daytime Goldies awards!!! Voting ends on Mon., Feb. 1, 2021

Ballot for daytime Goldies awards!!! Voting ends on Mon., Feb. 1, 2021

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
FreemanGriffin
alokin
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Here are our nominees for the best in Daytime 2020! Please vote for ONE per category (accept performer of the year, see below) and send your ballot to FreemanGriffin by 2/1/2021 at 12 noon EST.

In the following 5 categories – Drama Series, Directing, Writing, Casting and Ensemble – vote for one from the 4 shows: B&B, Days, GH or Y&R.

Best Lead Actress

Sharon Case, Y&R
    Nancy Lee Grahn, GH
    Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, B&B
    Maura West, GH

Best Lead Actor

Chandler Massey, Days
    Stephen Nichols, Days
    Paul Telfer, Days
    Robert Scott Wilson, Days

Best Supporting Actress

Genie Francis, GH
    Courtney Hope, B&B
    Lisa LoCicero, GH
    Suzanne Rogers, Days

Best Supporting Actor

Lucas Adams, Days
    William deVry, GH
    Wally Kurth, Days
    Dominic Zamprogna, GH

Best Younger Actress

Olivia Rose Keegan, Days
    Victoria Konefal, Days
    Eden McCoy, GH
    Sydney Mikayla, GH

Best Younger Actor

Nicolas Bechtel, GH
    Tajh Bellow, GH
    Delon de Metz, B&B
    William Lipton, GH

Best Guest/Limited Performer

Kassie DePaiva, Days
    Jane Elliot, GH
    Louise Sorel, Days
    Alison Sweeney, Days

Lifetime Achievement

Julia Barr
    Susan Flannery
    Don Hastings
    Bill Hayes

Legacy Award

Philip Carey
    James Mitchell
    Alex Trebek
    Douglass Watson

Performer of the year: please put your top 4 of all our acting nominees in order of preference – 5 points for 1st, 3 points for 2nd, 2 points for 3rd and 1 point for 4th place.

Please: 3 FYC’s per voter!!!

Voting ends on Feb. 1st at 12 noon EST!

Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Thanks, Freeman! This is a good list of nominees. Most of these are about what I would have expected, though there are a couple of surprises. I’m very surprised the Lead Actor lineup is just the DAYS men.

Freeman, any inside tidbits you want to share about the nominations? Were a lot of the categories close? Were there any near-ties that would have created a fifth nominee in a category?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

Ballot Sent.

FYC
    Best Actress Nancy Lee Grahn
    Guest Performer Jane Elliot
    Lifetime Achievement Susan Flannery

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The voting was close in every single category this year. I personally was very surprised by the strength of certain nominees and not others!

Best Actor: Matthew Atkinson and Jason Thompson were tied for 5th; 14 of the 16 actors got votes and I can tell you that 2 of the 4 Days actors got in based on the last 2 ballots!!! (I can tell you that because all 4 nominees are from Days!) I was shocked by this categories’ result.

Best Actress: Camila Banus was in 5th; 9 of the 16 got votes. A great deal of consensus for our 4 nominees this year. The only category were all 4 are Emmy winners for their respective performances.

Best Supporting Actor: Mike Manning was in 5th; 17 actors got votes.

Best Supporting Actress: Judi Evans was in 5th; 14 actresses got votes.

Best Younger Actor: Ashton Arbab and Henry David Samiri were tied for 5th; 9 actors got votes.

Best Younger Actress: Lindsay Arnold and Haley Pullos were tied for 5th; 9 actresses got votes.

Best Guest/Limited Performer: our 4 nominees walloped the competition and this was the category with the most consensus; 13 performers got votes and 5 tied for 5th but with very few votes.

Lifetime Achievement: Hillary B Smith was in 5th; 16 individuals got votes.

Legacy Award: Mary Stuart was in 5th; 18 individuals got votes.

There were definitely surprises for me – certain performers I thought would do really well didn’t and others got nominated that I didn’t think had any chance at all!!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Interesting! I’m looking forward to knowing more about what the vote breakdown was like among the nominees once the final voting is done. Maybe the most surprising thing to me is that nine different younger actors got votes. It’s the only category where I was struggling to justify having four people getting votes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Stunned that Sharon Case is the sole acting nominee from Y&R (love seeing the support that came through though for B&B!). And this must be a Goldies first, where an acting category consists of nominees all from the same show?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Actually, with there being fewer shows, we’ve had a few incidents the last few years where all the acting nominees in a category were from the same show. DAYS had all the supporting actor nominees a few years ago, and all of the guest/limited actor nominees a couple of times in the last five years. I also seem to remember GH one year having all of the younger actress nominees, but I couldn’t find that list, so maybe it didn’t actually happen.

Back when the Goldies were in the early days and there were still nine shows on the air, it would have been incredibly difficult for that to happen, even with there being such strong support for Y&R and OLTL some years. Now that there are only four, it can happen more easily, though it’s still surprising, especially in a category where there were a limited number of potential nominees. I voted for some but not all of those lead nominees, but I also didn’t vote for Atkinson or Thompson, the next closest nominees, so I guess support among other actors was just too scattered.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My FYC is for Don Hastings in the Lifetime Achievement category. There are two reasons I would like for him to win: first, this is his 8th nomination in the category, a record; and he had 54 continuous years on daytime, the first 4 (1956-60) on The Edge Of Night, and the next 50 (1960-2010) on As the World Turns. I love the other 3 nominees, of course, and the award has all but once gone to a female diva (David Canary is the only male Lifetime Achievement winner), but I think Don Hastings achievements in daytime deserve recognition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    youngsoapfan
    Topics:

just out of curiosity, how many of us total sent in a nominations ballot?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I was looking back at some of our older lineups and saw that Don Hastings has been among the nominees for this award going back for a long way. Another thing I’ve noticed is how often the Legacy Award goes to a recently deceased person and often the most recently deceased of the nominees. I’m not saying this is a bad thing, as we have a great list of honorees, but I also wonder if that bias toward recent losses who are top of mind has prevented us from honoring some others who seem to pop up repeatedly but never win. Certainly I tend to gravitate toward someone we’ve just lost and whose achievements we’ve been reminded of more recently.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alokin
    Topics:

Thanks for those findings, EmmyLoser. How interesting that the majority of the incidents where all the acting nominees in a category are from the same show always occurred with actors from DAYS! I’m particularly glad Stephen Nichols made the lead actor’s lineup. If one is able to look past the absurdity of the Stevano/Princess Gina storyline, one has to admit he did a really admirable and believable job selling his impersonation (which was no easy feat!) of Stefano to the audience.

Great point about the likelihood of recency bias with winners chosen for the legacy award. Perhaps one way to solve this is to have two recipients instead of just one in a given year (kind of like the Daytime Emmys do for their Lifetime Achievement award)?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I totally agree, alokin, about Stephen Nichols. That storyline was just ridiculous and put him in a really tough position, but he navigated it incredibly well.

That’s one good potential solution for the Legacy Award. I was also wondering if we might want to institute a brief waiting period, like awarding the honor to someone who’s been deceased since the start of the eligibility year. That might require us to keep more of a record of those we’ve lost, also not a bad thing. We often will post individually about people who have passed on, but we could just create a single thread where we honor those people.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

We could also do it Baseball Hall of Fame style and instead of doing it where the recipient receives the most votes, we pick a vote threshold (say 2/3 of ballots cast) and vote for as many as we want. That way we can honor as many or as few as we see fit on the final ballot.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

We could also do it Baseball Hall of Fame style and instead of doing it where the recipient receives the most votes, we pick a vote threshold (say 2/3 of ballots cast) and vote for as many as we want. That way we can honor as many or as few as we see fit on the final ballot.

That’s an excellent idea!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Yeah, I like that idea a lot.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.