Home Forums Daytime TV Best Daytime Actress Emmy for 1984-85

Best Daytime Actress Emmy for 1984-85

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The nominees were:

Deidre Hall, Days Of our Lives
    Susan Lucci, All My Children
    Gillian Spencer, All My Children
    Robin Strasser, One Life to Live
    Kim Zimmer, Guiding Light

There were so many other great performances from that year but my five personal favorites are:

Julia Barr, All My Children
    Sharon Gabet, The Edge Of Night (show ended in December 1984)
    Kathryn Hays, As The World Turns
    Elizabeth Hubbard, As The World Turns (her first year on the show)
    Hillary B Smith, As The World Turns

The shows that were on the air: All My Children, Another World, As The World Turns, Capitol, Days Of Our Lives, The Edge Of Night, General Hospital, Loving, One Life To Live, Ryan’s Hope, Santa Barbara, Search For Tomorrow, and The Young and the Restless (perhaps Another Life and Rituals? Any others I have missed?)

I would have voted for Robin Strasser’s Dorian but Kim Zimmer’s Reva was a worthy winner.

Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Was this the year with Reva baptizing herself “the slut of Springfield” in the fountain? That scene is so iconic. That’s a very iconic lineup of nominees. It’s kind of astounding that Deidre Hall hasn’t won a competitive Emmy. There were a few times over the past 15 or so years when I thought she’d be a shoo-in for another nomination at least, but she didn’t get anything. I’d love for Ron to write a strong, character-based dramatic story for Marlena to give her another good chance. As fun as Hattie is, I don’t think having her on really helps Deidre’s chances. The current regime’s version of Hattie isn’t a strong enough character to really feel distinct enough from Marlena without feeling like a reference to or deliberate departure from her, and it makes the actor look like they’re not doing as strong a job as they could be.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Yes the fountain scene was what she had submitted for her win. She wrote that she hadn’t expected to win – it was her first nomination and 3 ofthe others had been nominated before.

It was Deidre Hall’s 3rd of 3 nominations (1980 Supporting Actress, lost to Francesca James of AMC), and 1984 Best Actress, lost to Erika Slezak – her first win – for OLTL). It is very surprising she has never been nominated since.

It was Susan Lucci’s 6th of her 21 nominations. She won on her 19th nomination (Kim Zimmer was nominated the year Lucci won – Reva and Dolly, the clone storyline, was Zimmer’s work that year). She got her first nomination in 1978 and her last for her work in 2001.

Gillian Spencer was only nominated for acting this one time but she was nominated as a writer too. My memory is that she submitted scenes surrounding the death of Daisy’s cat! I loved her as Daisy but regarded her as a Supporting Actress in the role.

Robin Strasser’s 4th nomination; she had won on her 2nd nomination for 1981-82. She has never been nominated since 1985, which is ridiculous. I hope she finally gets her fifth nomination this year for Days. If it were up to me she would have at least 6 Emmys, I adore her – she especially dserved 2 of the Emmys that Erika Slezak won. She was definitely my pick for 1984-85.

Kim Zimmer would go on to win 4 Emmys. I can’t remember off the top of my head how many nominations she got but I think it’s 11?

It was always ridiculous they only had 5 nominees back then with so many deserving nominees due to their being so many soaps on the air! Susan Lucci got name recognition nominations and it robbed so many actresses from deserved nominations over the years.

Her acceptance speech was quite memorable, epscially her spiked hair! (:

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.