Home Forums Daytime TV Changes to the 2018/2019 Daytime Emmys (HUGE Change to Guest Performer)

Changes to the 2018/2019 Daytime Emmys (HUGE Change to Guest Performer)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
  • EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Seeing the National Board of Review selections earlier today reminded me to check the Emmy website for the rule book for the upcoming Emmys, and it’s apparently been out for a couple of weeks. You can access the full rule book here, but I picked out some interesting highlights.

Most interesting are the changes to the guest performer in a drama/digital drama category: The previous appearance rule has been eliminated! The criteria that is spelled out in the rule book is simply that the performer and show must confer on whether the performer is a guest or supporting performer and notify the Daytime Administration before submitting. This means anyone who has popped into town for a brief or limited stay on any of the shows could potentially be eligible here, depending on where the performer and the show see the performer falling. This is a huge game changer for the category, and could produce a really interesting list of nominees.

Another huge change is that drama series performer will now submit a 15-minute reel with clips from as many episodes as they like, rather than 20 minutes from up to four episodes. As some judges openly admitted to not watching through the full reels, I can see why they wanted to shorten the maximum reel allowed, though this does really hinder a performer who has a really strong standalone episode that only makes sense if submitted together but is more than 15 minutes of screentime for them.

A few categories have been eliminated and/or folded into other categories. For example, Outstanding Stunt Coordination has been eliminated, and Outstanding Original Song in a Drama Series has been eliminated in favor of those songs just competing in the more general Outstanding Original Song category.

It also seems clear that NATAS made an effort to be more transparent about eligibility and procedures, which is helpful for me at least in terms of trying to figure out how the judging works.

In terms of schedule, pre-noms are set to be announced January 24, 2019, with nominations being announced March 20, 2019, the Creative Arts Emmys held on May 3, 2019 and the main Daytime Emmy ceremony held on May 5, 2019.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Can Alison Sweeney FINALLY win an Emmy??? Hooray!!!! (: I have always felt this would be the correct ruling, very happy about it. We can get really great nominees and winners! I am so thrilled! (of course they can muff it – and performers will have to submit and we never know who has and who hasn’t).

Alison Sweeney, Jen Lilley, Martha Madison, Stacey Haiduk (as Susan), Arianne Zucker, Hunter Tylo (B&B), who else? – those six come quickly to my mind!

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, it’s very exciting, but now I’m wondering if people who were on for months, like Sweeney, Haiduk, and Madison, will still be funneled into supporting. When you think of, for example, the returns that Kim McCullough does on GH or even Arianne Zucker’s or Paul Telfer’s return stints on DAYS, they’re a lot shorter. It’ll be interesting to see where things shake out, but this is definitely a good step!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

^do the rules have any episode limits? I think they should come up with a fair number of appearances, such as 30 or less perhaps? Not sure…

I was trying to think back over the year as to who else might qualify?

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t see anything in the rules about a specific number limit, just that it was a decision that needed to be made between the show and the actor, and the approved by the Daytime Administration. I imagined that approval policy as policing the the guest category to make sure people didn’t submit there with too many appearances, though I suppose it could do the opposite as well, prevent people who had very few appearances from leaping into the supporting race.

Some others who came to mind for me in terms of coming into a show (or perhaps starting the year on a show), playing a role in a storyline, and then leaving: Christie Clark, Leann Hunley, Thaao Penghlis, Greg Rikaart (depending on how long he stays around now), Farah Fath, maybe Kyle Lowder, Thad Luckinbill, potentially Jess Walton, Bradford Anderson, Nicholas Bechtel, Kelly Thiebaud (the DAYS people are much easier for me to remember than the other shows).

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.