Home Forums Daytime TV Daytime Emmy Award for Best Actress for 2006

Daytime Emmy Award for Best Actress for 2006

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Sean_Phillips
OLTLfan
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The nominees were:

Crystal Chappell (Olivia, Guiding Light)
    Jeanne Cooper (Kay, The Young and the Restless)
    Michelle Stafford (Phyllis, The Young and the Restless)
    Maura West (Carly, As The World Turns)
    Kim Zimmer (Reva, Guiding Light)

Only CBS actresses were nominated this particular year. 3 already had Emmys and the other two would win this year and the next year.

I was rooting for Maura West – she had been nominated 3 previous times – Supporting Actress for 2000 and 2001 and Best Actress for 2003. I had been disappointed she didn’t win any of those 3 and felt she had deserved other nominations all of the other years she was eligible from 1995-96 onwards (she was absent from the show for 1996-97). I was overjoyed when she won! I loved her acceptance speech too! She has won 3 times – twice for ATWT (2006 and 2009) and once for GH (2014). So far she has 11 nominations (9 for Best Actress and 2 for Supporting Actress – 7 for ATWT and 4 for GH)

Crystal Chappell had won her Emmy for 2001 Supporting Actress, this was her first lead actress nomination. She would get a few more for GL and then one for Days too.

This was Jeanne Cooper’s 8th nomination and her 7th for Best Actress – she would win the very next year on her final 9th nomination.

Michelle Stafford had won Supporting Actress for 1996-97 on her 2nd nomination in that category. I think this was her 4th Best Actress nomination – she had won Best Actress for 2003. She received I think 3 more nominations? All for Y&R.

It was Kim Zimmer’s final and 11th nomination. She had won 4 times (1984-85, 1986-87, 1989-90, and 2005). She played Reva for 3 more years.

Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

This is while I was in law school. What were their main stories at the time?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

In thinking about the non-CBS actresses who were eligible for 2006 I know I most enjoyed Robin Strasser, Hillary B Smith and Kassie DePaiva for OLTL (I was never a huge Erika Slezak fan tbh), Alison Sweeney for Days, and Alicia Minshew for AMC during this period.

I also recall that Martha Byrne of ATWT had strong material when Luke was coming out, which I believe was 2006. Colleen Zenk always had strong material, as did Susan Flannery from other CBS shows. I am sure I am leaving out others who did really strong work that year.

It’s a blur what their stories were during 2006 specifically. I do remember that Maura had a great storyline in 2007 when Carly thought she was dying. I thought it was her best acting ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

Erika Slezak won in 2004 for Ben’s death/Viki’s heart transplant. She would have been competitive in 2005 when Viki discovered Jessica had DID but she didn’t submit. She didn’t have much of anything to do in 2006.

Hillary B. Smith deserved a nomination in 2005 when Nora discovered her husband was a gay serial killer. She was pre-nominated but snubbed for a nomination. She didn’t have much story in 2006.

Nancy Lee Grahn was nominated in 2002, 2003 & 2004 and Kelly Monaco was nominated for 2005. Both should have been nominated for their work in 2006 when Alexis and Sam discovered they were mother and daughter, Alexis broke up Sam & Jason, Sam slept with Alexis’ husband Ric and Alexis was diagnosed with lung cancer. They had killer scenes. Kelly wasn’t pre-nommed, NLG was but missed out on a deserved nomination because of CBS block voting. She should have won.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

So we don’t have any clue why anyone should have won? Great topic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I agree that Nancy Lee Grahn deserved a nomination for 2006! But I have never cared for Kelly Monaco. I have always felt they need more categories or more nominees – back when there were more soaps there were so many who deserved nominations who never received them (just actresses from ATWT alone: Kathryn Hays, Hillary B Smith, Margaret Colin, Tamara Tunie, Lindsay Frost, Jennifer Ashe, Julie Marie Snyder (the actress who played Julie Wendall), Marie Masters, Helen Wagner – just to name a few).

At the time I watched certain shows much more than others so of course I would root more for them. In 2006 my favorites were ATWT and OLTL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Do we have archives threads somewhere that would have older material like this? I believe at the time Goldderby was participating in the system where we’d get a few DVD copies of each category’s submissions and then different users would sign up to review different categories. This was back when there were many more of us who were very active viewers and posters and were clamoring over these reels. I would usually watch whatever categories I was assigned then swap DVDs with someone else. I remember watching the nominated reels for lead actress the year after this and being shocked that Jeanne Cooper won with reels that weren’t very good. Michelle Stafford’s reel was also not that strong that year, and the two of them were easily outdone by Nicole Forrester, Maura West, and Crystal Chappell, if I’m remembering correctly.

But back to 2006, I believe Maura’s winning reel involved a big breakup with Jack. I know that’s not all that specific, considering how often they’d fight and break up, but this was a big one, and the same scenes got Michael Park his first lead nominations as well. From what I recall, even though people were annoyed with the CBS block voting, generally people were very enthusiastic about Maura finally getting a win. I don’t specifically remember what Michelle Stafford had done that year, but this was in the time period when basically every nomination Stafford’s reel was some version of Phyllis confronting Sharon about Nick. This would have been the year before Stafford played Phyllis and about Sheila, who had gotten plastic surgery or worn a mask or something to look like Phyllis? The Sheila stuff got so convoluted, because then Sheila looked like Lauren and Tracey Bregman was playing both parts, but then one of them was someone else, and then I think when Sheila resurfaced on B&B, they just said that none of that was actually Sheila because she was in jail the whole time.

I would love to see some of that story with Sam and Alexis. People were constantly talking about how great NLG was in the scenes a bit earlier where she tries to get Sam to go into labor (I want to say it was because Kristina needed a bone marrow donor or something), which I thought were fine but not worth the raves I’d always see.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Thanks Michael and OLTLfan! (:

My memory tends to be a blur as to which storylines were in which year. Plus I am not as big on Emmy reels being the sole criteria for who deserved to win – I consider the work in general of an actress during the calendar year. I enjoy going down memory lane with those of you who do remember!

Back when there were more soaps I didn’t watch all of them every day – I tended to watch the east coast shows all the time and the west coast soaps intermittently.

This is my fun while I am sick!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    syrus80
    Topics:

I’m still annoyed by Jeanne Cooper winning the following year over Nicole Forester.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I’m still annoyed by Jeanne Cooper winning the following year over Nicole Forester.

Disagree – Maura West absolutely ought to have won for 2007! Carly thinking she was dying was her best acting ever!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Out of curiosity I checked the Goldies nominees for 2006 – 3 out of 5 were the same as the Emmys – Jeanne Cooper and Crystal Chappell were the ones left off the Goldies list:

Nancy Lee Grahn, General Hospital
    Victoria Rowell, The Young and the Restless
    Michelle Stafford, The Young and the Restless
    Maura West, As The World Turns (winner)
    Kim Zimmer, Guiding Light

Interesting (:

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I know this is a decades long debate, but it’s so much easier now to be of the position that the Emmys should really focus on the whole year of work rather than coming down to submissions. If you wanted to watch every soap now, you could really do it under 2.5 hours per day, versus even in 2006/7, when things had certainly wound down from their heyday, there were still the current four plus ATWT, GL, Passions, AMC and OLTL. It always seemed to be that the people doing the nominating should be generally in the know about the year’s worth of shows, but then it seemed fair to choose winners from the reels, provided the reels were allowed to be sufficient. I was not a big fan of performers only submitting one episode, nor of all the complaining that apparently came from voters having to watch more than one episode per competitor.

I totally agree about Jeanne Cooper winning over Nicole Forester. What a travesty. It would have been one thing for the voters to reward Copper over someone like Kim Zimmer or Erika Slezak, someone who had won a multiple times already. But Forester basically had this one shot at it, and the reel was incredible. I’m sure a big part of her not winning was the perception that she was too new to the show to be considered a lead, which annoys me. Maura West’s reel was great as well. I fully expected hers to be the best going in. I’d started watching ATWT that year, and saw the whole storyline of her thinking she was dying. The writing was a bit much in terms of Jack and Katie just really piling on and the show making her into such a victim, I assume to try to make her more sympathetic after some of the things she’d been up to. Still, she was incredible in the storyline and submitted well. Forester was just that good, though, and since I did not watch GL, I certainly can’t say for sure she wasn’t better over the course of the whole year as well.

Thanks, OLTLfan, for the link! Those scenes were great. If Sam were doing anything this interesting now or Kelly Monaco felt anywhere near this engaged, I wouldn’t be so ready for her to go back to Pentonville.

Now that we’re going the rabbit hole, I’m going to do some more digging into that 2006 best actress race.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

That has annoyed me for years that Forrester lost for Cassie confronting Alan about Tammy’s death over Cooper telling Jill that she gave her baby away.

West submitted a dying Carly taping a goodbye video to her loved ones when she thought she was dying.

I was happy for Cooper but I’m certain she didn’t deserve that particular win.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.