Home Forums Daytime TV Daytime Emmy for Lead Actress 1974-

Daytime Emmy for Lead Actress 1974-

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Ardejah Cat H..
Pavel Romanov
Berlin2002
  • Profile picture
    GloFish
    Topics:

You are incorrect about Lucci’s 1996 submission. She did not submit The Woman Of The Year episode. Her first tape was her tour de force where she’s locked herself in the powder room popping pills left and right while waiting on Myrtle to bring her a new gown. Her second tape was dreadful. It was Erica going through detox while Noah ( the always reliably dull Keith Hamilton Cobb ) watches over her. As always with her submissions, Susan Lucci submitted one great reel followed by a second reel that tanks her chances.

What year do you think Lucci deserved to win?

I would’ve voted for her in 1996, 1999 and 2001 (Sorry Martha Byrne). She shouldve been nominated in 2004/5 for the aftermath of Bianca’s rape – but I’m not sure she was even prenominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

When Irene Daily won her Emmy, it was still under the three tape submission rule book. Her first reel was a charming episode of Jim Mathews asking her to join him for lunch. The second reel was Liz gossiping in church. And for the life of me I can’t remember her third submission. I think ( but I could be wrong ) it was a fight scene w/ Rachael who came over to torment Alice who was on the verge of yet another emotional breakdown.

Robin Strasser dazzled everyone with her Emmy winning submissions.One minute she’s tough as acrylic nails and then the next, childlike, vulnerable and you’re ready to forgive her for the chaos she created with Herb’s campaign for Governor of Llanview.

And Zimmer did’t submit the ” Slut of Springfield ” episode for her first Emmy win.

You’re incorrect about Laura Wright’s Emmy winning submission. It wasn’t Carly confronting Dominic. It was the episode where see tells Michael to be strong and he will survive prison before he’s taken away to Pentonville.

I always heard Zimmer picked the episode after the whole fountain scene with HB. She said that episode was too flashy. I heard she also put an episode of Reva hosting something I’m not certain and you’re right about Wright’s submission. My bad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

Berlin2002, I want to know what reels the following actors chose that won them Emmys…

MacDonald Carey, 1974 and 1975
    Helen Gallagher, 1976 and 1977
    Val Dufour, 1977
    Larry Haines, 1976
    Peter Hanson, 1979
    Francesca James, 1980
    James Pritchett, 1978
    Al Freeman Jr, 1979
    Darnell Williams,1983 and 1985
    Brian Bloom, 1985
    Tracey E. Bregman, 1985
    Larry Gates, 1985
    Beth Maitland, 1985
    Michael E. Knight, 1986 and 1987
    Justin Deas, 1984
    Larry Bryggman, 1984

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Berlin2002
    Topics:

I always heard Zimmer picked the episode after the whole fountain scene with. She said that episode was too flashy. K heard she also put an episode of Reva hosting something I’m not certain and you’re right about Wright’s submission. My bad.

Zimmer didn’t submit ” The Slut of Springfield ” because she said it wasn’t a full episode. A few scenes intercut w/ her and other guest at the party. She only gets full screen time the last 10 minutes of the episode. The episode you’re talking about with Reva hosting a show at Company. It was a great comedic episode ending with drama. Reva was hosting a fund raiser and was auctioning off bachelors or male strippers or male cheerleaders (? Unfortunately I don’t remember the context) Zimmer was at her ever loving best in the reel. Full of fire, passion, off the charts energy ( who drives a scene better than Zimmer? ) and balls out funny. Josh thinking Reva is making a fool herself ( yet oddly not the scantily clad males on stage ) with rage goes up on stage and drags her off. That scene would not play in today’s PC era. A man fueled w/ rage manhandling a woman and carrying her off stage not being brought up on charges? It was a great submission on her reel because it got to show off her extraordinary charm and acting range. It began with comedy and ended with drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

Zimmer didn’t submit ” The Slut of Springfield ” because she said it wasn’t a full episode. A few scenes intercut w/ her and other guest at the party. She only gets full screen time the last 10 minutes of the episode. The episode you’re talking about with Reva hosting a show at Company. It was a great comedic episode ending with drama. Reva was hosting a fund raiser and was auctioning off bachelors or male strippers or male cheerleaders (? Unfortunately I don’t remember the context) Zimmer was at her ever loving best in the reel. Full of fire, passion, off the charts energy ( who drives a scene better than Zimmer? ) and balls out funny. Josh thinking Reva is making a fool herself ( yet oddly not the scantily clad males on stage ) with rage goes up on stage and drags her off. That scene would not play in today’s PC era. A man fueled w/ rage manhandling a woman and carrying her off stage not being brought up on charges? It was a great submission on her reel because it got to show off her extraordinary charm and acting range. It began with comedy and ended with drama.

Was I right about what Zimmer chose for the 1987 win. Reva’s suicide and the black and white episode with Reva singing?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Berlin2002
    Topics:

What year do you think Lucci deserved to win?

I would’ve voted for her in 1996, 1999 and 2001 (Sorry Martha Byrne). She shouldve been nominated in 2004/5 for the aftermath of Bianca’s rape – but I’m not sure she was even prenominated.

I’ve made it no secret over years that I think Susan Lucci is one of the best and worst actresses in daytime. Her work over the last 20 years on All My Children was inconsistent. At times worthy of praise and at times deserving of jeers. She is to be commended for creating the most original diva bitch in all of daytime. Her Erica Kane was the very first villainess with a sense of humor. Temperamental as hell,self-absorbed and fueled by ego and vanity, Lucci’s work drove every scene she was in the the from the mid ’70’s thru the early ’80’s until she started to run out of steam as an actress. But when that steam was present, she brought the heat. There was not an actress more captivating nor commanding on screen than Susan Lucci.

Susan Lucci’s best shot and first legitimate claim to an Emmy was the now controversial year of 1978. It was her very first nomination earned on the strength of her work and talent and not her name value as with many of her later nominations. Laurie Heineman’s win surprised many ( although she was terrific in her reels and had a timely storyline that tailed the Vietnam war ) As with many opinions, a Victoria Wyndham or a Beverlee Mckinsey would have been my choice but a dark horse, out of nowhere Lucci win would’ve also worked. But I think it was material that year that brought victory to Heineman more so than substance of acting. A Vietnam housewife being blackmailed back into the oldest profession by her SOB brother Willis Frame. This pitted against Mary Fickett’s ( Ruth Martin ) parking lot rape and beating by Ray Gardner that left her in a coma, while Victoria Wyndham dealt with evil servants Sven and Helga plotting to oust her and set up Mac with Regina. Beverlee McKinsey in a rage fired faithful servant Louise and then bought that fabulous all white penthouse at the Bay City Towers at the behest of Brian Brancroft. Erica Kane was busy plotting to snare Nick Davis by forging a fake suicide in New York City but the joke was on her, she came down with viral pneumonia and really did almost die. Out of those storyline submissions, which ones resonates as socially relevant and legitimizes soaps? Heineman and Fickett’s had the advantage due to story heft.

Lucci’s other nominations were charitable and courtesy of the weight of the network and All My Children. 1987 she was a legitimate contender but in true Susan Lucci fashion submitted poorly. Sobbing Erica in two of out three episodes on a reel doesn’t work. If memory serves me correctly, she submitted both of Mark’s drug intervention episodes. One intervention episode took place in Ellen’s hospital room where Lucci’s performance was anemic but she sure as hell did find enough strength to weep for almost an hour. The second episode was a few months later at Mark’s rehab center where Lucci had some of the best writing of her career and yet she sobbed again for an hour. The third submission escapes me.

Many of her subsequent nominations were at the expense of her more deserved co-stars being overlooked such as Kate Collins knock out performance in the ” Rashomon ” rape storyline. Or Julia Barr’s unforgettable yet criminally overlooked by the Emmys performance during daughter Laura’s drunk driver death storyline. Lucci has always been a fan of back to back episodes and that formula did her no favors. Erica trapped in an elevator w/ Travis being sexy for two days- yes that’s a winning ticket. Erica Kane The movie for two episodes w/ a follow up reel of a weeping Erica giving birth. Or sexy Erica trapped in a barn w/ Jackson for a few days. If only the master of tape selections Erika Slezak, had picked out her tapes.

Ironically the one year she deserved to win, or at least tie for the win, was the in 1994 when she wasn’t nominated. The year of The Kendall. Lucci was on her best game as an actress and didn’t deliver a false note on screen the entire year. The network wasn’t going to take any chances w/ anyone spoiling Hilary B. Smith’s bid for the gold. With all due respect to the other actresses in Hilary B. Smith’s category that year, they were absolutely no threat to her. Lucci might have been a spoiler that year because she was just that good.

1996 was the year of The Great Lucci vs. Slezak showdown. Not since the 1974 Muhammad Ali vs. George Foreman boxing match has there been so much wagering and bets placed on who would win. Both Lucci and Slezak reached personal best as actresses by taking their acting game to a whole new level. They both delivered work deserving of Oscars had their work been on the silver screen.The only actress in daytime that stood a strong chance of taking Slezak down that year was the equally matched work of Susan Lucci’s. The deciding factor would be in their tape submissions. Both actresses had an embarrassment of riches to choose from that year. Slezak as always chose tapes that told a story arc. Beginning and an end.The reveal episode in Dr. Hannahan’s office where Slezak plays her rapist father Victor, the fire starter and vengeful Tori and the sympathetic Vicki. In the episode Tori rips Victor a new one and tells Vicki the truth that it was her Tori/Viki that killed Victor,leaving a devastated Viki to deal with the emotional fall out. Her second submission was in St.Ann’s church with Viki railing at Tori for what ” they both ‘ did by killing her father and confessing to her family what she had done but not before turning back into an almost demonic Victor Lord ordering her not to reveal the truth. Slezak benefits greatly from outstanding directing. The camera work alone when Victor becomes the host personality was Emmy worthy. Lucci had the goods to take Slezak down until her second submission. Like Slezak, Lucci had been on camera almost everyday delivering performances that would have crippled a lesser actress. Lucci was fantastic in her first reel.Going from sweet and bitchy to an out of control monster so jacked up on pills that she almost takes off Myrtle’s head in the powder room. It was a bravura performance where Lucci didn’t shy away from playing the warts and scabs of addiction. It was still neck and neck until her Kryptonite submission. It was the climax of Erica’s year long drug addiction and by then Lucci had run out of steam and could not meet the demands of the writing nor the scene work required of her. It was powerful material, Erica detoxing in Noah’s apartment.Sweating, shaking and desperate for a pill, Lucci unfortunately had neither the strength nor energy to play out the through line of emotion which was required of her. I can see why that episode appealed to Lucci. It was a powerful piece of writing w/o a powerful piece of acting on her part.

After that year Lucci always submitted episodes where she’s playing for sympathy. Although the year before Mona’s death she submitted an episode of merit where she chews out an insurance adjuster for denying Mona’s insurance benefits.

1999 The year of her win. Her submissions speak for itself. It was well earned and deserved. For all the naysayers that argue they gave it to Susan for being a good sport, I say B.S.! They obviously didn’t watch her tapes nor her competitors. Lucci won that Emmy not only because she delivered the best work by an actress that year but also because she had the best submissions. She won that Emmy off of her first reel alone which was literally impossible to top by any of her would be second offerings.

2001 Lucci could have won but as usual, she erred in judgement thinking she could sob her way to an Emmy.Her first tape with Bianca coming out to her, both actresses are great in it. But Lucci’s back to back second submission was a total washout. She bet the farm on her last 30 seconds sobbing in front of a mirror would take her to victory.If only she’d picked the episode where finds Bianca and Sarah in the hotel room in NYC. Lucci was outstanding in that episode. Strong, commanding and totally unrelenting.

The last decent year Lucci had on screen that was worthy of an Emmy was Bianca’s rape storyline. I contend that not only did she cost herself a well deserved nomination, but the show as well. Both were pre-nomed.In a year where Lucci upstaged her co-star Eden Regel in almost every scene they shared. Leave it to Lucci to submit an episode where the writing is strong yet her performance underwhelms. Lucci submitted the eppy where Michael Cambias tries to rape her in her office. She’s awful in the episode and for some reason Lucci thought if they saw her weeping in Kendall’s arms at the end it would spell Emmy Nomination.Nope. All My Children lost out a Best Show nod by submitting the powerfully written, directed yet horrifically acted on Lucci’s part, eppy of Erica in the rain recounting her own rape while Bianca is being raped in real time by Michael Cambias. In a year where she was stellar, both she and the show selected the only two shows where Lucci delivered substandard work.
    If only Lucci had submitted the eppy where Bianca freaks out confesses that she was raped by Michael she would have received a nom. As heartbreaking great as Eden Regel was in that episode, it was Susan Lucci that stole the show.

It can be said that was the last year Lucci earned her paycheck as an actress. Instead she coasted on her legacy. Allowing hair flipping and posing for the camera to supplant acting. Delivering head scratchingly bad performances worthy of community theatre aspirants and my apologies to all community theatre actors. I call Lucci out on her amateurish thespian efforts of AMC’s last 10 years or so because she was capable of so much more as an actress. Sadly she chose to present the works of an aging glamour puss desperately clinging onto to her youth as opposed to her talent.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    adamunc
    Topics:

Was I right about what Zimmer chose for the 1987 win. Reva’s suicide and the black and white episode with Reva singing?

Yes, in her memoir she mentions those two episodes as her choices. She also said that was the only year that she really thought she would win. She said the black-and-white clip shown on the telecast felt silly out of context, but that the whole episode was very strong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DS0816
    Topics:

There was not an actress more captivating nor commanding on screen than Susan Lucci.

Susan Lucci’s best shot and first legitimate claim to an Emmy was the now controversial year of 1978. …

I don’t go back as far as you do.

The first Daytime Emmys I watched was in 1985. The Daytime Emmys were not broadcast in 1984. And I wasn’t familiar enough to have strong opinions on who should be nominated and who should win. (In 1985, my sense of who may prevail were with the supporting-acting winners: Larry Gates of CBS’s Guiding Light and Beth Maitland of CBS’s The Young and the Restless.)

1984 was my year to become familiar with the daytime soaps. Given the fact I was born in 1971, and there can be some particular years that stand out for a person’s childhood, that year was a big standout for me.

From that point forward, I thought Susan Lucci of ABC’s All My Children would win in 1987 (for the 1986–87 season) and 1996 (for the 1995–96 season).

I am glad you made a point about Lucci’s fellow cast mate Kate Collins (who played Natalie Hunter). I figured she could have been nominated, say, three or four times during her original 1985 to 1992 run. (I remember 1986, 1988, 1990, and 1992—for the 1985–86, the 1987–88, the 1989–90, and the 1991–92 seasons.) Of all those actors who were never nominated, after the Daytime Emmys began in 1974, but after I started watching in 1984, I consider Kate Collins the biggest standout.

The Pre-noms improved the nomination system greatly—of course, it is ironic that the number of soaps have greatly pared down—and Susan Lucci, who was last nominated in 2002, was not nominated again under this system (which began in 2003). I think Kate Collins would have been nominated—and she would have won.

The Locher Room has had really standout episodes. And it is taking me back to 1992. The first half of the 1990s. A great period for Guiding Light. Beverlee McKinsey should have been nominated and won for playing Alexandra Spaulding in 1992. (The 1991–92 season.) She received four Lead Actress nominations for playing Iris on NBC’s Another World between 1977 and 1980. So, you mentioning her from 1978, the first year of nomination for Lucci (who was interviewed by Locher), is also much-appreciated by me. (Thank you!)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

Yes, in her memoir she mentions those two episodes as her choices. She also said that was the only year that she really thought she would win. She said the black-and-white clip shown on the telecast felt silly out of context, but that the whole episode was very strong.

Is that black and white episode on YouTube? I saw Reva’s suicide from January 1986. Jeff Ryder must have written the black and white episode because Long left to be story consultant at SFT by Feburary 1986.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Topics:

I recently saw Finola Hughes Emmy reel from 1991. What did you all think of Anna and Casey the alien?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

Do any of you know what episodes Elizabeth Hubbard submitted in ‘87 when Kim beat her? Her clip was brilliant, her yelling at James Stenbeck, and how she was sick of being blackmailed by everybody all over town!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Balthazar
    Topics:

Gina Tognoni – I was not crazy about her Phyllis mainly because I regard Michelle Stafford as the real Phyllis. I loved Gina’s work on One Life To Live and her 2-time Emmy winning role for Supporting Actress on Guiding Light. I must say her acceptance speech was one of the most gracious ever though.

To which acceptance speech are you referring to as “the most gracious ever”? Just wondering. She’s won three times.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.