Home Forums Daytime TV 2019 Daytime Emmy Awards: Who will win Lead Actor?

2019 Daytime Emmy Awards: Who will win Lead Actor?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Ardejah Cat H..
FreemanGriffin
Tony Ruiz
  • Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are the Lead Actor reels

Maurice Benard ( Sonny Corinthos, General Hospital)
    Episodes
    Air Dates: Wednesday, February 7, 2018; Monday, February 26, 2018; Thursday, July 19, 2018; Monday, November 12, 2018; Friday, March 16, 2018; Monday, May 21, 2018
    Running Time: 11:05
    Reel Synopsis: Sonny yells at Mike when Mike misplaces a large sum of cash only to later find it in a cigar box. Mike tells Carly and Jason that Mike had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease and sobs as he realizes that there is nothing he can do to help. Sonny struggles to remain strong when Mike doesn’t recognize him as his son. Sonny reflects on his life and how things could have been, including how his son, Dante, could have become involved in the mob. Sonny listens as Mike struggles to come to terms with the fact that he will one day no longer be able to care for himself. Sonny helps by singing along when Mike when he forgets the words to Frank Sinatra’s “Summer Wind.”

Peter Bergman ( Jack Abbott, The Young and the Restless)
    Episodes
    Air Dates: Wednesday, May 9, 2018; Monday, October 15, 2018
    Running Time: 13:52
    Reel Synopsis: In a crowded movie theater, a documentary about Dina Mergeron reveals that Jack was not John Abbott’s son. Later, Billy tries to assure Jack that nothing would change the fact that John was Jack’s father. Later, Jack raged as he, Ashley, and Traci remembered when they were children and their mother left them. Jack learns that Ashley riggedthe DNA test results to show that John wasn’t Jack’s father. He removes Ashley’s nameplate from the CEO’s office door and throws a chair the window.

Tyler Christopher ( Stefan DiMera, Days of our Lives)
    Episodes
    Air Dates: Thursday, May 17, 2018; Monday, July 23, 2018; Monday, December 3, 2018; Thursday, December 27, 2018; Wednesday, December 26, 2018
    Running Time: 15:11
    Reel Synopsis: Stefan taunts Chad by telling him the details of how he’d had sex with Abigail. Abigail accuses Stefan of rape, but he tells her that he sees things differently. Stefan refuses to believe that “Gabby” was back. Stefan holds Gabi bound to a chair and threatens to make her suffer for what she’s done to him. He holds a hot fireplace poker to her face and threatens to make her ugly. Stefan offers up a Christmas toast to his late father, Stefano.

Billy Flynn ( Chad DiMera, Days of our Lives)
    Episodes
    Air Dates: Tuesday, July 24, 2018; Monday, November 12, 2018
    Running Time: 15:11
    Reel Synopsis: Chad learns that Abigail is pregnant — and that Stefan is the father. Chad accuses Abigail of loving Stefan. While on a remote island, Abigail unexpectedly goes into labor creating a frenzied and comical situation. Abigail eventually gives birth to a baby girl.

Jon Lindstrom ( Kevin Collins and Ryan Chamberlain, General Hospital)
    Episodes
    Air Dates: Wednesday, April 11, 2018; Friday, August 10, 2018; Thursday, August 23, 2018; Tuesday, August 28, 2018; Monday, October 15, 2018; Wednesday, December 26, 2018; Tuesday, October 23, 2018
    Running Time: 14:36
    Reel Synopsis: Kevin counsels Franco when Franco worries that the sexual abuse he endured as a child might make him turn into a predator. At Ferncliff, it is revealed that Kevin’s supposedly dead brother, Ryan, is very much alive. Ryan attempts to convince an orderly to release him from his cell. Kevin tells Ryan that he had him sent to Ferncliff in an attempt to redeem him, but Ryan insists that he doesn’t need to be redeemed. Ryan attacks Kevin and trades places with him, leaving Kevin bound in a straitjacket at Ferncliff and Ryan roaming free in Port Charles. Ryan returns to Ferncliff to torment Kevin. Ryan tells Kevin what he’s been up to — divorcing Laura on his behalf and killing two people. Laura worries that something isn’t quite right with “Kevin” and Ryan responds by stabbing her.

FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I want Jon Lindstrom to win but worry that Maurice Benard’s submission will win it. Tyler Christopher’s second part of his submission is the best acting he has ever done and is definitely Emmy-worthy. Billy Flynn and Peter Bergman submitted really well too. I am predicting Jon Lindstrom but feeling really unsure about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    VinceT
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Maurice Benard

2. Peter Bergman

3. Tyler Christopher

4. Jon Lindstrom

5. Billy Flynn

What a difference a year makes in this category. Much better submissions this time around. Lead actor has been lukewarm in recent memory. Benard couldn’t have picked a better dramatic reel from that excellent story. I have a feeling it will leave the strongest impression. He was great in those episodes and made magic with Gail.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  VinceT.
    ReplyCopy URL
    linecelts
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah Maurice Benard will probably get this but I do like Peter Bergman’s reel. Excellent acting dealing with Jack’s paternity, the aftermath and finding out Ashley rigged the results.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see Maurice winning as much as I love his acting.

I see Peter or Tyler winning.

Jon’s reel is good but I can’t see him winning this year maybe next year.

Billy’s is good especially when he finds out Stefan is the father.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean Phillips
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh god Maurice is gonna win this. That’s so crappy. That scene at the end is a good sweet kicker and …Jesus this is gonna be a crummy Sunday.

ReplyCopy URL
    SoapFan88
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Maurice Bernard has the strongest reel— I thought Jon Lindstrom would, but his is just not layered or nuanced enough. However, clearly the Emmy voters do not really enjoy MB’s work (neither do I, usually), so I think Tyler Christopher will win. His reel is fantastic and subtle. He’s the dark horse here.

5. Jon Lindstrom, GH
    His reel dragged on for what seemed like forever, and it felt like the same scene was happening over and over again! This is an example of how NOT to make an Emmy reel. Which is awful, because Jon Lindstrom has really been doing some fantastic work in the Kevin/Ryan storyline. It’s a pity that his reel does not showcase much of it.
    4. Billy Flynn, DAYS
    I really appreciate the dramatic/comedic contrast in this reel…I remember thinking Billy Flynn did some wonderful work when he found out Abigail was pregnant back when the episode aired. And the scenes delivering the baby mesh so well. I don’t think he will win, and I think there are people who deserve it more, but this is a solid reel.
    3. Peter Bergman, YR
    This really tugs on the heartstrings. I’ve never been a huge fan of Jack Abbott, but I really did feel for him in this reel…The moments with Ashley leading up to the explosion at the end of the reel were fantastic. I’m impressed! I wouldn’t be surprised if he won; he is an Emmy favorite, after all.
    2. Maurice Bernard, GH
    I have to preface this: I really DON’T like Maurice Bernard as an actor, nor do I enjoy his character on GH. But this reel is so poignant, and subtle…out of all his years on GH, it might be my favorite work of his. It’s so well constructed, and I love that it finishes with the Nurse’s Ball performance. I wouldn’t mind seeing him win at all!
    1. Tyler Christopher, DAYS
    As much as Maurice Bernard’s reel touched me, this reel had me on the edge of my seat. That scene with Kate Mansi is, without a doubt, one of the best scenes in daytime television all year. I was worried this reel might seem disjointed, but when I watched it all, it worked perfectly; it had ups and downs and transitioned smoothly. It shows so many facets and layers of Stefan DiMera…bravo TC! He might not win because his work isn’t flashy, but he deserves it in my opinion.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  SoapFan88.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  SoapFan88.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Maurice Bernard has the strongest reel— I thought Jon Lindstrom would, but his is just not layered or nuanced enough. However, clearly the Emmy voters do not really enjoy MB’s work (neither do I, usually), so I think Tyler Christopher will win. His reel is fantastic and subtle. He’s the dark horse here.

5. Jon Lindstrom, GH
    His reel dragged on for what seemed like forever, and it felt like the same scene was happening over and over again! This is an example of how NOT to make an Emmy reel. Which is awful, because Jon Lindstrom has really been doing some fantastic work in the Kevin/Ryan storyline. It’s a pity that his reel does not showcase much of it.
    4. Billy Flynn, DAYS
    I really appreciate the dramatic/comedic contrast in this reel…I remember thinking Billy Flynn did some wonderful work when he found out Abigail was pregnant back when the episode aired. And the scenes delivering the baby mesh so well. I don’t think he will win, and I think there are people who deserve it more, but this is a solid reel.
    3. Peter Bergman, YR
    This really tugs on the heartstrings. I’ve never been a huge fan of Jack Abbott, but I really did feel for him in this reel…The moments with Ashley leading up to the explosion at the end of the reel were fantastic. I’m impressed! I wouldn’t be surprised if he won; he is an Emmy favorite, after all.
    2. Maurice Bernard, GH
    I have to preface this: I really DON’T like Maurice Bernard as an actor, nor do I enjoy his character on GH. But this reel is so poignant, and subtle…out of all his years on GH, it might be my favorite work of his. It’s so well constructed, and I love that it finishes with the Nurse’s Ball performance. I wouldn’t mind seeing him win at all!
    1. Tyler Christopher, DAYS
    As much as Maurice Bernard’s reel touched me, this reel had me on the edge of my seat. That scene with Kate Mansi is, without a doubt, one of the best scenes in daytime television all year. I was worried this reel might seem disjointed, but when I watched it all, it worked perfectly; it had ups and downs and transitioned smoothly. It shows so many facets and layers of Stefan DiMera…bravo TC! He might not win because his work isn’t flashy, but he deserves it in my opinion.

I desperately want Tyler to win so bad. It’s like I can taste his or Bergmann’s victory.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Have people actually seen the reels or are they basing it on memory? I haven’t found any of the reels on any sites. They may “play” differently than they are described.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

Have people actually seen the reels or are they basing it on memory? I haven’t found any of the reels on any sites. They may “play” differently than they are described.

I’m going based off memory since we can’t view them online. I watch all 4 shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tony Ruiz
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Daniel Montgomery and I are doing in-depth analysis and will be doing a slugest in the next week or so.

Based on my viewing of the reels (I got press access), this is a race between Bergman and Bernard. They both submitted perfectly. Flynn and Christopher are out. Flynn submitted badly and Christopher’s is too villainous. Lindstrom could win, but his acting might be too subtle. Benard’s reel is heartbreaking, but for someone that’s usually over-the-top, his reel is almost too subtle. Bergman has one of the best reels he has ever submitted, but Y&R underperformed, and I’m not sure how many people realize he hasn’t won in 17 years.

It’s going to be either Bergman or Benard, but as Benard’s show has the more personal storyline, I give him the edge for now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mootzic
    Participant
    Topics:

Bergman’s scenes, or what I remember to be the scenes from the synopsis, are almost a continuation of Davidson’s reel, except last year was Jack’s renaissance year in contrast to Ashley’s the year before. The nominations for many of the players involved showed the power of this storyline during the 2018 Daytime Emmys, carrying into this year’s Daytime Emmys as well.

From what I have been able to see from YouTube clips of parts of Benard’s story, Sonny seems subdued, subtle, fearful, and consumed with his father’s future and care. He is a mobster with heart. If Gail wins, I don’t know if Benard will. I’ve almost never seen close screen partners win both titles.

Intense, white-hot rage scenes are in Bergman’s wheelhouse and could be one of the reasons his character gets so many of these kind of scenes. It is also helpful his reel synopsis ends with a powerhouse performance as Jack lights into Ashley.

As I see it, Benard’s story is a fish out of water story; Bergman’s is a fish in water story. I would be just as happy if Bergman walked away with a nomination after this year’s ceremony. He gave everything he had and took this storyline to the hilt.

Should win: Oh sweet justice, Peter Bergman! His character has been through hell lately. Plus, winning for his 30th year on Y&R would be icing on the cake.

Will win: Most likely GH/Days. Daytime Emmys always surprise/upset and I know, are far from over, but I have a funny feeling about Bergman…

Shannon Mootz

ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

Bergman’s scenes, or what I remember to be the scenes from the synopsis, are almost a continuation of Davidson’s reel, except last year was Jack’s renaissance year in contrast to Ashley’s the year before. The nominations for many of the players involved showed the power of this storyline during the 2018 Daytime Emmys, carrying into this year’s Daytime Emmys as well.

From what I have been able to see from YouTube clips of parts of Benard’s story, Sonny seems subdued, subtle, fearful, and consumed with his father’s future and care. He is a mobster with heart. If Gail wins, I don’t know if Benard will. I’ve almost never seen close screen partners win both titles.

Intense, white-hot rage scenes are in Bergman’s wheelhouse and could be one of the reasons his character gets so many of these kind of scenes. It is also helpful his reel synopsis ends with a powerhouse performance as Jack lights into Ashley.

As I see it, Benard’s story is a fish out of water story; Bergman’s is a fish in water story. I would be just as happy if Bergman walked away with a nomination after this year’s ceremony. He gave everything he had and took this storyline to the hilt.

Should win: Oh sweet justice, Peter Bergman! His character has been through hell lately. Plus, winning for his 30th year on Y&R would be icing on the cake.

Will win: Most likely GH/Days. Daytime Emmys always surprise/upset and I know, are far from over, but I have a funny feeling about Bergman…

If Bergman wins I’ll be over the moon this reel in particular is good as it gets

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

My rankings:

1. Jon Lindstrom
    2. Tyler Christopher
    3. Billy Flynn
    4. Peter Bergman
    5. Maurice Benard

I have no idea what this year’s blue ribbon panel is going to do in this category but I am rooting hard for Jon Lindstrom – he definitely has the material to be competitive again next year if he doesn’t win this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ardejah Cat Harbin
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Peter Bergman
    2. Tyler Christopher
    3. Billy Flynn
    4. Jon Lindstrom
    5. Maurice Bernard

These are my final rankings…for now

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.