Home Forums Daytime TV Flashback 1999: Susan Lucci Finally Wins

Flashback 1999: Susan Lucci Finally Wins

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Boidiva02
Sean Phillips
DS0816
  • montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

I had forgotten the show was even on that night. I was home resting on a Friday night and my channel was on either Fox News or CNN and they literally interrupted the news with a BREAKING NEWS that Lucci had just won. I grabbed my remote and flipped to NBC and saw her finish her speech.

Oh such simpler times. I graduated high school in 1999.

ReplyCopy URL
    rodman
    Participant
    Topics:

How many times do you think she ALMOST Won from her previous 18 nominations? Some of her nominations were probably filler but how many times did she come in second and would have won had Kim Zimmer or Erika Slezek for example not been nominated? Kim Zimmer beat her three times and Erika Slezek won over Lucci five times!

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

I have followed the Daytime Emmys since 1985. They were off television at least a couple years. The 1984 Daytime Emmys were controversial because names of the winners were released, in advance of the non-live ceremony, and this was unprofessional. But, the Daytime Emmys returned and was broadcast August 1, 1985.

Kim Zimmer won the first of her four Emmys on the day. In 1987 she won her second. I thought that would be year Susan Lucci, at which time it marked her eighth nomination, would finally prevail.

It was for Erica Kane’s role with reaction to the drug addiction of her brother Mark Dalton. That storyline won Kathleen Noone, playing Ellen Shepherd Chandler, her supporting-actress Emmy. (One of the best wins that category had ever had!) The late Mark LaMura, who played Mark, was terrific. He was nominated for supporting actor in 1988. But, in response to your question, Lucci was terrific. And I thought that would be the timing, the 1986–87 television season, for her to win. It took twelve more years.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.