Home Forums Daytime TV Flashback 1999: Susan Lucci Finally Wins

Flashback 1999: Susan Lucci Finally Wins

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Boidiva02
Sean Phillips
Berlin2002
  • montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

I had forgotten the show was even on that night. I was home resting on a Friday night and my channel was on either Fox News or CNN and they literally interrupted the news with a BREAKING NEWS that Lucci had just won. I grabbed my remote and flipped to NBC and saw her finish her speech.

Oh such simpler times. I graduated high school in 1999.

"Here's a wonderfully b*tchy post from Montana82...." - Tom O'Neill Emmy Prediction Slugfest August 1st, 2019

ReplyCopy URL
    rodman
    Participant
    Topics:

How many times do you think she ALMOST Won from her previous 18 nominations? Some of her nominations were probably filler but how many times did she come in second and would have won had Kim Zimmer or Erika Slezek for example not been nominated? Kim Zimmer beat her three times and Erika Slezek won over Lucci five times!

ReplyCopy URL
    DS0816
    Participant
    Topics:

I have followed the Daytime Emmys since 1985. They were off television at least a couple years. The 1984 Daytime Emmys were controversial because names of the winners were released, in advance of the non-live ceremony, and this was unprofessional. But, the Daytime Emmys returned and was broadcast August 1, 1985.

Kim Zimmer won the first of her four Emmys on the day. In 1987 she won her second. I thought that would be year Susan Lucci, at which time it marked her eighth nomination, would finally prevail.

It was for Erica Kane’s role with reaction to the drug addiction of her brother Mark Dalton. That storyline won Kathleen Noone, playing Ellen Shepherd Chandler, her supporting-actress Emmy. (One of the best wins that category had ever had!) The late Mark LaMura, who played Mark, was terrific. He was nominated for supporting actor in 1988. But, in response to your question, Lucci was terrific. And I thought that would be the timing, the 1986–87 television season, for her to win. It took twelve more years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Balthazar
    Participant
    Topics:

I recall seeing Bobbie Eakes interviewed before the awards and she said Lucci’s reels went over really well. That’s when I thought she’d finally win. I do think word leaks out beforehand; hence, Eakes’ observation. In addition to Lucci’s acting, I believe the writing in her reels played into her win. I’ve heard it said in some years prior, Lucci didn’t submit reels which showed an emotional arc for Erica Kane. Apparently, she finally got it right in ’99.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Balthazar.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Balthazar.
    ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

At the time I had been rooting for Elizabeth Hubbard, mainly because she had not won for playing Lucinda (she had won 2 Emmys, one for playing Dr. Althea Davis on The Doctors and one for playing Edith Wilson in an afternoon special, but never for ATWT). Now I think any of the other four besides Ms. Lucci would have been an excellent choice. Jeanne Cooper and Melody Thomas Scott were nominated for Y&R (MTS’s only nomination ever and JC’s 5th nomination), and Kim Zimmer was nominated for the double role of Reva and “Dolly”, the Reva clone. She emoted all over the place and it’s the type of performance that usually wins. I felt that all four had done better work than Susan Lucci, but I can’t begrudge her as she was well regarded in the role of Erica Kane. I remember thinking her submission was over-acted but that tends to win with the panelists. Ms. Lucci was nominated 21 times and won only the one time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Berlin2002
    Participant
    Topics:

At the time I had been rooting for Elizabeth Hubbard, mainly because she had not won for playing Lucinda (she had won 2 Emmys, one for playing Dr. Althea Davis on The Doctors and one for playing Edith Wilson in an afternoon special, but never for ATWT). Now I think any of the other four besides Ms. Lucci would have been an excellent choice. Jeanne Cooper and Melody Thomas Scott were nominated for Y&R (MTS’s only nomination ever and JC’s 5th nomination), and Kim Zimmer was nominated for the double role of Reva and “Dolly”, the Reva clone. She emoted all over the place and it’s the type of performance that usually wins. I felt that all four had done better work than Susan Lucci, but I can’t begrudge her as she was well regarded in the role of Erica Kane. I remember thinking her submission was over-acted but that tends to win with the panelists. Ms. Lucci was nominated 21 times and won only the one time.

Quatsch.Nonsense.

ReplyCopy URL
    Balthazar
    Participant
    Topics:

IIRC, Kim Zimmer writes in her book she was expecting to win in 1987. I forget her exact reasoning (it’s been a while since I read it) yet I do recall she wrote she was smelling victory that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, Kim Zimmer thought she would win (it was 1999 though; she did win in 1985, 1987, 1990 and 2016) for her dual work as Reva and “Dolly”, which is what she wrote about in her autobiography.

I was disappointed that Elizabeth Hubbard never won for her Lucinda Walsh on As The World Turns – she was nominated in 1986, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and for 1998 – 8 times for her iconic role. However, she had won for The Doctors and for First Ladies Diaries: Edith Wilson, so at least she had two Daytime Emmy awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

How many times do you think she ALMOST Won from her previous 18 nominations? Some of her nominations were probably filler but how many times did she come in second and would have won had Kim Zimmer or Erika Slezek for example not been nominated? Kim Zimmer beat her three times and Erika Slezek won over Lucci five times!

I’m sure she probably came close a few times; but the one one time that jumps out at me is when Frances Heflin (and in turn Mona Kane) died in 1994. Lucci’s work as Erica processed her mother’s death and broke down at the funeral was incredible work.

However, that was a fairly strong year for the Lead Actress category and I believe that Lucci was third behind Erika Slezak (who won) and Leslie Charleson (who was long overdue).

If that had been a less competitive year I think Susan would have won easily. I recall reading interviews in Soap Opera Weekly that year where panelists from the blue ribbon panel had said that going into the voting process they were favoring Lucci or Leslie Charleson but that Erika Slezak’s reels were basically unbeatable in their opinion.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Boidiva02.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Boidiva02.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Boidiva02
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes, Kim Zimmer thought she would win (it was 1999 though; she did win in 1985, 1987, 1990 and 2016) for her dual work as Reva and “Dolly”, which is what she wrote about in her autobiography.

I was disappointed that Elizabeth Hubbard never won for her Lucinda Walsh on As The World Turns – she was nominated in 1986, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 and for 1998 – 8 times for her iconic role. However, she had won for The Doctors and for First Ladies Diaries: Edith Wilson, so at least she had two Daytime Emmy awards.

Part of why Zimmer thought she would win is because Mimi Torchin from Soap Opera Weekly kept telling her she was going to win and was heavily advocating in the magazine for Zimmer to win.

I don’t think anybody else believed Zimmer was going to win; and it became especially clear once voters saw the reels that Zimmer wouldn’t win. Reportedly, her reels were viewed as laughable compared to the more heavy reels the other nominees submitted.

Based on the tapes; Zimmer and Hubbard were essentially non-factors leaving the door open for Cooper, Lucci or Scott to prevail. My feeling is that in reality it was likely really a two-way race between Cooper and Lucci. Lucci edged out Cooper though.

Perhaps vote-splitting between Cooper and Scott cost Y&R the win giving Lucci the edge?

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean Phillips
    Participant
    Topics:

I recall Lucci as having been perceived as overdue and finally submitting a worthwhile reel. (The year before wasn’t she sending in a Halloween episode?) But that clone nonsense with Zimmer wasn’t going to hold up. It was like proto Passions bs.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Sean Phillips.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  Sean Phillips.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.