Home Forums Daytime TV Goldies 2020 discussion thread

Goldies 2020 discussion thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
FreemanGriffin
Sean_Phillips
  • Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

We will be casting our votes for the Goldies in January with our choices for the best in daytime for the calendar year 2020. Let’s start discussing category placements – who are all the under 25 performers eligible for the younger acting categories? Who have been the guest/limited performers? And who will be our 4 each from the shows to get on our list of 16 for Best Actor and Best Actress?

Here is what I have for Best Actor and Best Actress – let me know if you think someone is missing and who ought to be moved to supporting in your opinion???

Best Actress:
    Kristian Alfonso, Days
    Camila Banus, Days
    Katrina Bowden, B&B
    Sharon Case, Y&R
    Melissa Clare Egan, Y&R
    Mary Beth Evans, Days
    Nancy Lee Grahn, GH
    Deidre Hall, Days
    Finola Hughes, GH
    Katherine Kelly Lang, B&B
    Jacqueline MacInnes Wood, B&B
    Annika Noelle, B&B
    Melissa Ordway, Y&R
    Michelle Stafford, Y&R
    Maura West, GH
    Laura Wright, GH

Best Actor:
    Maurice Benard, GH
    Peter Bergman, Y&R
    Eric Braeden, Y&R
    Darin Brooks, B&B
    Scott Clifton, B&B
    Marcus Coloma, GH
    Don Diamont, B&B
    Chad Duell, GH
    Mark Grossman, Y&R
    Thorsten Kaye, B&B
    Chandler Massey, Days
    Stephen Nichols, Days
    James Patrick Stuart, GH
    Paul Telfer, Days
    Jason Thompson, Y&R
    Robert Scott Wilson, Days

Profile picture
    Sean Phillips
    Topics:

Has Burton really been a lead? Like what has his storyline been that hasn’t been adjacent to other people and has driven his character? Would he even have episodes to submit for Emmy?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I originally didn’t have Steve Burton in lead but then someone said they thought he belonged there – I had Marcus Coloma, who plays Nikolas in lead – who do others think would be a better choice? It can be someone else entirely of course! I agree that Burton hasn’t had lead material in 2020…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I definitely think Burton’s been a lead this year, but I get if others disagree. Jason has been the primary person dealing with most of Sonny’s mob stuff, especially while Mike was dying, so Jason has been dealing with Cyrus, Brando, etc. But I also think Marcus Coloma’s been a lead. I’d put both of them ahead of Chad Duell and James Patrick Stuart.

Also, I think it was previously suggested that Paul Telfer was a lead this year on DAYS, which I think makes sense. I’d definitely bump Freddie Smith for Telfer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

O.K., if nobody disagrees I will move Paul Telfer up and Freddie Smith bumped to supporting.

Ali Sweeney: Guest/Limited or Supporting?

Olivia Rose Keegan: Guest/Limited or Younger Actress?

What constitutes limited? I am thinking Leslie Charleson, Bill Hayes, Susan Seaforth Hayes would all be more limited rather than supporting?

I haven’t been watching B&B much this year and am wondering who the younger performers and guest/limited performers are from that particular show?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Good question re: younger vs. limited/guest. It would be my slight inclination to place Olivia Rose Keegan in younger rather than guest/limited, especially since the latter category has plenty of potential competitors. I would also say Alison Sweeney did too much during her return to be considered guest or limited.

I don’t think of people like Leslie Charleson, Susan Seaforth Hayes and Bill Hayes as belonging in the guest/limited category because they play regular characters who live in the town where everything is happening and appear on the show fairly often throughout the year, even if not necessarily on a regular basis. Characters I think of as guest/limited this year include Vincent, Clyde, Orpheus, Tamara, Valerie, Leo, Sheila, Vivian, Ivan, Eduardo, Theo, and the doctor who helped perpetrate the baby switch for DAYS. For GH, I think of people like Stella, Gladys, Dante’s PTSD doctor, Lindsay Hartley’s Sam, Dolores, Ethan and maybe Jackie and Gregory depending on how long they’re sticking around. But what do others think?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rlk
    Topics:

Best Actor thoughts:
    – B&B: Matthew Adamson and Scott Clifton over Don Diamont or Darin Brooks
    – DOOL: Brandon Barash over Chandler Massey?
    – Y&R: Joshua Morrow over Eric Braeden?

Best Actress thoughts:
    – B&B: Rena Sofer over Katrina Bowden?
    – Y&R: Amelia Heinle over Melissa Ordway?

Note: The B&B actors suggested out of lead would be great in supporting, IMO

And curious re: Emmy placement: where do you think Alison Sweeney should and will be campaigned?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Here’s a question that may or may not be all that helpful: Do we want to come up with some ballpark numbers for things like how many episode appearances is too many to be considered limited/guest and maybe how many is too few to be considered a lead? I was just looking over the episode counts for DAYS through October, and some of the numbers are pretty interesting/surprising. Obviously numbers don’t tell the full story — like if I’m shocked by who appeared on the show the most times it’s maybe because they weren’t doing much that was impactful or driving story, despite being on screen a lot.

Just a thought.

Regarding Alison Sweeney, my feeling is she should be campaigned in Supporting Actress. The stint was too short to be considered Lead but also she was featured too heavily to be guest/limited. I’m not sure what the consensus will be for Emmy consideration, though. If she starts her next stint before the year is over, I think she’d be ineligible in the guest category, at least according to the rules from last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I think Kassie DePaiva is guest/limited for Goldies but I wonder if she will be eligible for Emmy consideration in that category? I have never really understood the criteria they are using completely…

What were the surprises for you Michael in terms of the number of appearances on Days???

I personally regard Cynthia Watros as a lead but am conceding that others find Finola Hughes to be more of a lead actress on GH.

I haven’t watched much of any of B&B and very little of Y&R this year so I am not sure of anything when it comes to those two shows!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EmmyLoser
    Topics:

If the rules are the same as last year, Kassie would be eligible for the guest performer category at the Emmys, and I would agree that’s a good place for her.

I think looking at the episode counts made me realize that I’d really underestimated how often some characters were on and somewhat overestimated others. Like the person with the highest episode count through October is actually Deidre Hall, ahead of even Robert Scott Wilson, who seemed at times to be on every day. I think that’s partly because Marlena is connected to a lot of characters and isn’t always the focus of her appearances. I thought Camila Banus and Kristian Alfonso would have among the highest episode counts for the actresses, but they fall behind DH, Victoria Konefal (no surprise), Arianne Zucker, and Mary Beth Evans. Galen Gering had more appearances this year than anyone at the time of his departure at the end of August, even though I don’t remember him having much of a story outside of the custody battle for David, which didn’t get a whole lot of airtime.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.