Home Forums Daytime TV Guest/Limited performers on daytime soaps during 2018

Guest/Limited performers on daytime soaps during 2018

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
EmmyLoser
Sean Phillips
  • FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Thinking about which actors and actresses have had limited and/or guest roles on soaps this calendar year. Please help me with this list by suggesting other names to add to these lists.

I haven’t been watching B&B all that much, the only name that comes to my mind is Hunter Tylo as Taylor. I would think that Kimberlin Brown belongs here too. Can’t remember if Obba Babantunde and/or Anna Maria Horsford have been on the show in 2018…

Days has had lots of different performers – Alison Sweeney, Arianne Zucker, Stacey Haiduk, Jen Lilley, Greg Rikaart, James Read, Paul Telfer, Tionne Watkins, Lisa Rinna, Christie Clark… (are Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer candidates or are they now regulars?)

GH has had Nicolas Bechtel, Patty McCormack, Molly Burnett, Anders Hove, Donna Mills, Kimberly McCullough…

Y&R had all those guests during the anniversary episodes, such as David Lago, I would consider Jess Walton to be limited and/or guest, Judith Chapman, Tracey E Bregman, Christian LeBlanc, Doug Davidson has had a limited number of appearances…

As more come to mind I will edit this list and keep it going until the end of the year.

EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the soaps seem to be using a storytelling model that favors having a lot of guest appearances. Let me see who else I can add.

DAYS:
    Christie Clark, Leann Hunley, Louise Sorel (potentially, though she may have appeared a little too much), Gilles Marini, Laura Kai Chen, Farah Fath, Lisa Rinna, Jen Lilley

GH:
    Brooklyn Rae Siltzer, Brytni Sarpy

Y&R is the weirdest in this regard because of the number of formerly quite prominent characters who are really just occasional background players now, including many of the people you mentioned above. I’d add Beth Maitland to the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    robbalto
    Participant
    Topics:

The Guest category should be reserved for actors who have a limited run of no more than 2-3 months.

Actors who are recurring should be in supporting. For this reason, I would include Judith Chapman, Tracey Bregman, Christian LeBlanc, Doug Davidson, Beth Maitland, and Brytni Sarpy in Supporting. I’m on the fence about Martha Madison and Brandon Beemer, as their visits have become more frequent; I am leaning toward placing them in supporting as well. Overall, I feel like actors who air on and off throughout the year should be in supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of these actors are not eligible for the Guest Emmy as they are recurring. Whether they are on for a limited time does not matter.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Djoko, I wasn’t thinking about the Daytime Emmys; I was thinking about the Goldies.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

Now that the rules for the Daytime Emmy Guest Performer have changed it’s a whole new ball game! I am so excited! personally I would nominate 5 actresses from Days:

Stacey Haiduk (Susan)
    Jen Lilley (Teresa)
    Martha Madison (Belle)
    Alison Sweeney (Sami)
    Arianne Zucker (Nicole)

If Alison were to win all would be forgiven for giving Maura West her 3rd Emmy the year that Alison deserved to win (and the only time Ali has ever been nominated). I hope she submits!

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

have there been any guest performers from BB this year? Do performers who are hardly ever on qualify? (I am thinking of Obba Babatunde and Anna Maria Horsford, but also Jacob Young and Karla Mosley – I would think they would not qualify but I am asking). Hunter Tylo seems to be back on as a regular?

Days list of guest performers is enormous: besides my five nominees Stacey Haiduk, Jen Lilley, Martha Madison, Alison Sweeney, and Arinane Zucker, a case could be made for Brandon Beemer, Paul Telfer, James Read, Louise Sorel might have been on too much?, Leann Hunley started in 2017?, Farrah Fath, Lisa Rinna, Laura Kai Chen, Christie Clark; Tionne Watkins and Greg Rikaart are back on the show and it isn’t clear that they would qualify? Gilles Marini seems to be a regular now… who have I forgotten?

GH: not sure if Nicholas Bechtel can show up in 2 different categories but he was definitely a guest performer, Kimberly McCullough, Brooklyn Rae Silzer, Carolyn Hennesy, Sonya Eddy?, Patty McCormack, the actress who played Mary Pat, question marks for Lynn Herring, Kristina Wagner, Michael J York – not sure if they qualify?… who have I forgotten?

Y&R: Jess Walton, David Lago, all the guests during the anniversary, a few others.

My big question: did they have to appear again during 2018 or is also for limited performances by regulars?

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think the guidelines are defined all that well. Actors who think they fit the bill will get their show’s stamp of approval and then submit for consideration, and the Emmy folks will either allow it or tell them they have to compete in supporting, I suppose. I think at this point the category will look much more similar to our guest/limited performer category. No actor would be allowed to compete in more than one category for the same role, so Nicholas Bechtel, for example, would have to be either guest or younger. It actually seemed like the Emmys wanted to funnel anyone they could into younger, and reserve guests for performers who would otherwise have to compete in supporting.

It is my feeling that any character who was once a prominent character and still lives in the town where the show is set, played by an actor who is on recurring with the possibility of showing up in literally any episode, should not be eligible as a guest, but that’s just me.

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

It is my feeling that any character who was once a prominent character and still lives in the town where the show is set, played by an actor who is on recurring with the possibility of showing up in literally any episode, should not be eligible as a guest, but that’s just me.

I completely disagree. I think that’s exactly the kind of actor that should be in this category. Leslie Charleson, Jackie Zeman, Kristina Wagner, Lynn Herring & Kathleen Gati shouldn’t have to compete with Laura Wright, Maura West, Nancy Lee Grahn, Finola Hughes, Michelle Stafford, Kelly Monaco & Rebecca Herbst for Emmy consideration. There’s a complete and total imbalance in storyline and screen time there that will always benefit the full time cast members and put the recurring actors at a disadvantage.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sean Phillips
    Participant
    Topics:

Well then the award should be Best Acting in a Recurring Role not a Guest role then.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I see Leslie Charleson, Jackie Zeman, Kristina Wagner, and Lynn Herring as actors who play supporting characters who just don’t have a storyline. (Obrecht comes and goes a little more, so Kathleen Gati doesn’t seem quite as in the same boat.) Same for people like Judi Evans, Wally Kurth, Bill Hayes, and Susan Seaforth Hayes (who by the way was nominated last year despite very limited appearances) on DAYS.

A friend of mine asked if Judi Evans could submit in the guest category if she submitted only for playing Bonnie and didn’t mention Adrienne, which was kind of an hilarious thought. I don’t think it works that way, but it’s funny to think about.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kendall
    Participant
    Topics:

Maura was better than Alison that year.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

For the Goldies I am thinking instead of having a formal list just putting together suggestions. A few years ago I laughed out loud when someone put as their choice for Best Limited/Guest Performer Maura West as Ava Jerome! (: So you never know what others might do but it didn’t affect the final outcome at all.

So far I have as “suggestions” (and I am sure I have forgotten lots of names that belong on the list):

B&B: Obba Babatunde, Anna Maria Horsford, Jacob Young, Karla Mosley, Hunter Tylo….

Days: Stacey Haiduk, Jen Lilley, Martha Madison, Alison Sweeney, Paul Telfer, Arianne Zucker, James Read, Louise Sorel (on too much?), Christie Clark, Tionne Watkins, Leann Hunley, Gilles Marini, Greg Rikaart, Luara Kai Chen, Farrah Fath…

GH: Patty McCormack, Molly Burnett, Brooklyn Rae Silzer, Nicolas Bechtel, Anders Hove, Donna Mills, Brytni Sarpi, Sonya Eddy, Carolyn Hennesy, Ryan Paevey, Lynn Herring, Kin Shriner, Kathleen Gati (on too many episodes?), Michael J York, Kristina Wagner, Leslie Charleson, Jacklyn Zeman, Wally Kurth…

Y&R: David Lago, Ashley Bashiom (is that the name of the actress who played Mackenzie?), Jess Walton, Judith Chapman, Christian LeBlanc, Tracey E Bregman, Doug Davidson, Beth Maitland (on too much to be considered here?)….

Those were ones that popped into my head, I am sure I have forgotten many who belong on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think you should count Ryan Paevey

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I have forgotten the name of the actress who played Mary Pat on GH.

These are only suggestions and not an official ballot. Just to give people ideas. Ryan Paevey was on for a very few episodes but I can see where maybe he ought to be considered a Supporting Actor.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.