Home Forums Daytime TV Revisiting the Daytime Emmys-1996 Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Revisiting the Daytime Emmys-1996 Lead Actor in a Drama Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
12 months ago
replies
views
users
Frank2803
FreemanGriffin
  • Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

I don’t fully remember all the reels submitted that year, so I’m going to cheat and go by the clips that were presented during the broadcast.

Maurice Benard- Sonny is at bedside of his dying friend Stone

Charles Keating – Carl Hutchins mourns the death of his son Ryan

Peter Bergman- Jack Abbot is in some sort of conflict with his stepmother Jill

Eric Braden- Victor Newman confronts Matt Clark

David Canary- I don’t know the context of the clip, but I remember the big story with Adam that year was Gloria and Adam losing their baby and the Arlene, Alec, and Hayley triangle.

Maurice Benard- Maurice was excellent through out the year, but he felt more like an supporting actor that year. Michael Sutton should have gotten this slot this year

Charles Keating- The win was overdue, but his reel was overly theatrical even for Charles Keating.  I don’t begrudge the win, but he would have not gotten my vote

Peter Bergman- Not bad but same ole song and dance

Eric Braden- Classic Victor Newman. It would have been a decent win

David Canary- If they were judging who put in the better performance all year long this would be vote hands down.

Ranking

1. Canary

2. Benard

3. Keating

4. Braden

5. Bergman

If Sutton was nominated in this category I would give him the win.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Charles Keating 100%!!! It irked me though that Mark Pinter was never nominated for his superb work as Grant Harrison though.

My rankings:

1. Charles Keating, Another World
    2. David Canary, All My Children
    3. Eric Braeden, The Young and the Restless
    4. Maurice Benard, General Hospital
    5. Peter Bergman, The Young and the Restless

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Charles Keating 100%!!! It irked me though that Mark Pinter was never nominated for his superb work as Grant Harrison though. My rankings: 1. Charles Keating, Another World 2. David Canary, All My Children 3. Eric Braeden, The Young and the Restless 4. Maurice Benard, General Hospital 5. Peter Bergman, The Young and the Restless

Along with Mark Pinter I thought a few other actors missed out on nods through  out the 90s

Grant Aleksander for his work on AMC

James DePavia

Jerry Douglas

I could go on

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Interesting facts about that year’s batch of nominees

This would Charles Keating’s first and last win after 4 nominations

All the other nominees would go on to win Emmys in previous years

David Canary and Peter Bergman are the only previous winners up until this year.

That year would mark the second time co-stars Eric Braden and Peter Bergman would be nominated together in the same category. In total they have nominated 6 times in the same year (90, 96,97,98,99,2000). I think that may be the record.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Don Hastings, Jon Hensley and Paolo Sagenti all delivered strong performances on ATWT in the 1990’s.

I loved Christopher Marcantel’s Curtis Alden during the last two years of the Loving run. Robert Tyler was excellent too (it helps that there is a fan that put up videos of only the Trucker and Trisha scenes which highlighted how great both he and Noelle Beck were in their roles).

I thought Ty Treadway was great on One Life To Live in the 1990’s and early 2000’s (in both of his roles).

Tom Eplin was great on Another World – for some reason he was only ever nominated during his too brief two year stint on As the World Turns.

Jon Lindstrom was great in both of his roles on General Hospital and Port Charles.

The best actors of the decade were nominated, especially Michael Zaslow and David Canary!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Don Hastings, Jon Hensley and Paolo Sagenti all delivered strong performances on ATWT in the 1990’s. I loved Christopher Marcantel’s Curtis Alden during the last two years of the Loving run. Robert Tyler was excellent too (it helps that there is a fan that put up videos of only the Trucker and Trisha scenes which highlighted how great both he and Noelle Beck were in their roles). I thought Ty Treadway was great on One Life To Live in the 1990’s and early 2000’s (in both of his roles). Tom Eplin was great on Another World – for some reason he was only ever nominated during his too brief two year stint on As the World Turns. Jon Lindstrom was great in both of his roles on General Hospital and Port Charles. The best actors of the decade were nominated, especially Michael Zaslow and David Canary!

Speaking of ATWT the great Anthony Herrera was never nominated for his portrayal of iconic villain James Stenbeck

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Speaking of ATWT the great Anthony Herrera was never nominated for his portrayal of iconic villain James Stenbeck

The only reason I didn’t include him is because his best work was in the 1980’s. But yes, he was great as the nefarious James Stenbeck!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

It seems like JFP had a formula of giving a overdue veteran actor an Emmy, but at the cost of killing off a major character.

example: Ellen Parker

I remember killing off Ryan was not a popular decision amongst Another World fans but Mr. Keating finally got his Emmy

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.