Home Forums Daytime TV Revisting the Daytime Emmys- 1995 Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Revisting the Daytime Emmys- 1995 Lead Actress in a Drama Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
Created
12 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
FreemanGriffin
Frank2803
DCurrie
  • Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Leslie Charleson-Monica has to deal with getting a masectomy due to breast cancer.

Marj Dusay- not entirely sure what was on her reel, but the clip they showed at the Daytime Emmy was her character Alexandra confronts her brother Alan about faking his death

Maeve Kincaide- I think her reel had something to do with Vanessa’s love interest Matt and the 5th st fire

Susan Lucci-Erica at her mother’s funeral

Erika Slezak-Viki at her husband’s deathbed

Leslie Charleson would have been my choice hands. She had to deal with a wide range of emotion dealing with Monica’s breast cancer. The nuance and grace in her acting was sublime.

Erika Slezak was fine in her reel. She would have been my second choice.

This was one of those years that Lucci was the favorite, but I understand why the voters would shy away for hysterics of the reel. You can see her “acting”.

Maeve was great in her reel, but the competition of Charleson, Slezak, and Lucci was too much for her to have a shot of winning.

Marj Dusay had big shoes to fill from Beverlee McKinsey. I remember she did an awesome job her first year on Guiding Light. I felt like this nomination was a career achievement more than anything. I’m drawing a blank on her reel.

Ranking

1.Charleson

2. Slezak

3. Kincaide

4. Lucci

5. Dusay- I only have her last because I’m not entirely sure what was on her reel.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Leslie Charleson was my choice too but my real choice was Robin Strasser, who wasn’t nominated. Maeve Kinkead was great too that year. Not a big fan of Susan Lucci or Erika Slezak. Marj Dusay was a surprise nominee for me that year.

What month in 1995 did the eligibility period end? There was strong work from Martha Byrne, Ellen Dolan, Tamara Tunie, and Colleen Zenk on ATWT, Kim Zimmer was excellent on GL, Alison Sweeney was always great (but perhaps eligible as Younger Actress?) on Days. Christine Tudor Newman and Lisa Peluso were excellent in Loving, with the former definitely deserving of a nomination the following year for the last 4 months of Loving. Julia Barr was always great on AMC and Robin Mattson was great as “Janet from another planet” Green too. Another World had Jensen Buchanan, Linda Dano, Carmen Duncan, Anna Stuart and Victoria Wyndham delivering strong performances, and I think Alicia Coppola and Christine Tucci were on the show in 1994? There is always way more than 5 deserving nominees and they always have a few that weren’t deserving nominated!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

I thought the eligibility period was just for that 94

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^No, it was for 1994-95 – not sure what months the start and end of the eligiblity period was back then.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OLTLfan
    Topics:

The eligibility period wasn’t calendar year back then. I think it was February to February. Slezak’s 1st episode aired in ‘94 and her 2nd episode aired in ‘95.

Viki was supposed to marry Sloan at Llanfair. Dorian called Viki to taunt Viki about Dorian’s affair with Joey. Viki left Llanfair and went to La Boule to confront Dorian. Viki caught Joey in bed with Dorian, just as Dorian had planned it. Viki and Dorian have a huge, nasty fight. When Viki returns to Llanfair, Sloan collapses and is rushed to the hospital. Slezak submitted the following episode where Viki is worried about Sloan, worried about Joey and furious about Dorian. The episode features a heartfelt emotional scene between Viki & Joey and ends with Viki marrying a very sick Sloan in his hospital bed.

Her 2nd episode is why she won the Emmy. Dorian reveals to Viki that Victor used to talk in his sleep. Dorian heard Victor talk about having sex with his own daughter in graphic detail. Dorian confronted him and he admitted that he raped Viki when she was a little girl. Viki repressed the abuse and had no idea. Viki couldn’t handle the truth and she split, except this time it wasn’t Niki Smith but instead altars we had never seen before. First, Tommy threw Dorian down the stairs and then Jean Randolph cleaned up the mess.

Among the nominees, Slezak was clearly #1 with Charleson and Lucci a distant 2nd & 3rd. Lucci, as usual, submitted scenes with lots of crocodile tears but no range or depth.

And no disrespect to Guiding Light, but Robin Strasser and Diedre Hall (Marlena possessed by the devil) should have taken those last two spots. It’s a crime neither of them was nominated again after the 80’s. I think Strasser could have given Slezak a run for her money. I actually like Strasser’s performance better than Slezak’s in the fight scenes that caused Jean Randolph to come out!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^I felt the same way, Robin Strasser imo gave the better performance in those scenes and was my actual choice for the Emmy – but Leslie Charleson did the best work of her career during Monica’s cancer storyline and was very deserving of an Emmy that year as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Some interesting trivia:

out of the five nominees only Lucci and Slezak would be nominated again after this year

this was Marj Dusay’s one and only Daytime Emmy nomination

this would be Leslie Charleson’s last nomination. She was nominated 4 times

same with Maeve Kincaide. Her last time being nominated for a Daytime Emmy. Ironically this would her first and only nomination in the lead category. The rest of her nominations were for supporting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

^Maeve Kinkead was nominated in the lead category in 1993 as well.

I forgot: Judi Evans as Paulina on Another World – the acting on AW in this period was amazing! There were always more than 5 strong potential nominees and they consistently got it wrong imo, esp. by wasting a name recognition nomination almost every single year during this period.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

^Maeve Kinkead was nominated in the lead category in 1993 as well. I forgot: Judi Evans as Paulina on Another World – the acting on AW in this period was amazing! There were always more than 5 strong potential nominees and they consistently got it wrong imo, esp. by wasting a name recognition nomination almost every single year during this period.

thanks for the correction

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Frank2803
    Topics:

Guiding Light benefited from the bloc voting have 10 acting nods

while the NBC soaps got 0 acting nods

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boidiva02
    Topics:

That was a tough year, very competitive reels were submitted and the soap opera press was absolutely eating it up, IIRC.

My favorites that year were Leslie Charleson and Erika Slezak, and frankly either one of them could have submitted the same tape and won in a different year. Obviously I love Susan Lucci, but this year she would have been my third choice. I actually think Susan Lucci’s strongest year of material ever was the following year, 1996 when Erika was addicted to painkillers, went to Betty Ford and also gave the Women of the Year Speech.

Ultimately, I think Erika Slezak just had too many strong points to be defeated. She had the heartfelt stuff with Sloan and his illness, and she had the angry mother stuff with Dorian and Joey’s affair, and she had her tour de force second tape where Viki split into her alters. Erika Slezak pretty much won the Emmy the second these episodes aired.

My Rankings:

1. Erika Slezak
    2. Leslie Charleson
    3. Susan Lucci
    4. Maeve Kinkead
    5. Marj Dusay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DCurrie
    Topics:

I remember this category & lineup in real time. While they were all great, they were no match for what Erika Slezak did in the one episode alone, where Dorian brought out, Tommy, & Jean! She was nothing short of explosive, only matched by a brilliant acting partner in Robin Strasser! What a team they made, that you simply don’t see in any medium these days.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boidiva02
    Topics:

I remember this category & lineup in real time. While they were all great, they were no match for what Erika Slezak did in the one episode alone, where Dorian brought out, Tommy, & Jean! She was nothing short of explosive, only matched by a brilliant acting partner in Robin Strasser! What a team they made, that you simply don’t see in any medium these days.

I seem to recall reading back then a short blurb in Soap Opera Weekly or Digest where they were interviewing stars about the Daytime Emmy’s and one of them mentioned that they were on the blue ribbon panel that year and actually remember that when they viewed Erika Slezak’s tapes that they pretty much blew everybody away on the panel.

I think it was Leslie Charleson or Jane Elliot, but I could be wrong.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I seem to recall reading back then a short blurb in Soap Opera Weekly or Digest where they were interviewing stars about the Daytime Emmy’s and one of them mentioned that they were on the blue ribbon panel that year and actually remember that when they viewed Erika Slezak’s tapes that they pretty much blew everybody away on the panel.

I think it was Leslie Charleson or Jane Elliot, but I could be wrong.

It couldn’t have been Leslie Charleson as she was one of the other nominees. I wish Leslie Charleson had won that year ):

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    akh_cat
    Topics:

I’m going to be honest…I would have voted for Slezak as the winner. I recently watched the reel (on YT) and it blew me away. There were the elements of sadness and anger and a confrontation. There’s no way she was losing that Emmy no disrespect to Lucci, Charleston, Kinkead, or Dusay. She even had a better tape the next year with the DID storyline when Tori comes out during a session and tells her Viki’s psychiatrist that Tori killed Victor and her second tape was even more heartbreaking when Viki explained to her loved ones that she killed her father due to the years of rape she endured at his hands and the alter Victor tries to come out but Viki overpowered him.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.