Home Forums Daytime TV Soap Opera Digest best & worst of 2017

Soap Opera Digest best & worst of 2017

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
OLTLfan
youngsoapfan
Robert Bruce
  • Jw79bull
    Participant
    Topics:

Hello do anyone have the a link of full list for their selections? I can’t find the list anywhere on line. Thanks a bunch 🙂 🙂

OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Michael Logan from TVGuide/TVInsider won’t be posting his annual Best & Worst column because the site has discontinued his soap column.

ReplyCopy URL
    OLTLfan
    Participant
    Topics:

My personal picks:

Best Show
    DAYS

Worst Show
    GH
    Olivia Jerome’s horribly written and acted return, Jane Eliott’s criminally stupid exit story plus the Toxoplasmosis & Chimera stories had no payoff. The show improved in the last few months of the year thanks to Chris van Etten replacing Jean Passanante, but the first 9 months of the year were so bad that it’s still easily the worst show of the year.

Best Actor
    Billy Miller as Jason Morgan & Andrew Cain (GH)

Best Actress
    Maura West as Ava Jerome (GH)

Best Supporting Actor
    James Reynolds as Abe Carver (DAYS)

Best Supporting Actress
    Lauren Koslow as Kate Roberts (DAYS)

ReplyCopy URL
    youngsoapfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I like that Judi Evans was mentioned, But i wish Deidre Hall was mentioned as well. 🙁

ReplyCopy URL
    Robert Bruce
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think SOD posts their list online. I usually pick up the Best and Worst issue at the checkout, but I missed it this year. The last time I read the Best and Worst issue, I was disappointed by the brevity of the discussion. Back in the 80s and 90s, their Best and Worst issue was a great read.

I enjoyed reading Michael Fairman’s rundown. I do not share his enthusiasm for GH, but we all see it differently.

It seems that the soap press is united in their praise for Days of our Lives.

ReplyCopy URL
    EmmyLoser
    Participant
    Topics:

All I knew of the SOD list was what I saw on the cover, and now even that I don’t remember, but I remember disagreeing. I think it was listing B&B as best soap, which I couldn’t get behind.

I enjoy Michael Fairman’s list, even if I don’t agree with all of it. (Like, I seem to be in the minority in liking Jennifer and Eric as a couple. I was never a big fan of Jack and Jennifer as a pair and found them as dull as dishwater when they were together, and I’m glad Nicole is far away from Eric.) My friend who has watched GH since the 90s and generally agrees with most of the things I don’t enjoy about the show (like the romanticizing of a life of organized crime, women staying in relationship with partners they shouldn’t even be speaking to anymore, etc.) expected to hate the Jason storyline, but she loved it. She said it was riveting and seems like the best storyline she’s seen on the show in a long time. I’ll take her word for it, since, even after a few years of watching the show, I have no historical interest in Steve Burton’s Jason.

I also liked Fairman’s mention of Eileen Davidson’s performance as Susan realizes what she’s done and just loses it. That was amazing, and I think it just kind of got drowned out by the fact that ED’s been doing stellar work on Y&R and DAYS had a bevvy of other actresses burning up the screen. Still, it did feel like a classic performance, and if ED submits it for an Emmy, it wouldn’t surprise me if she got nominated and even won.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.