Home Forums Daytime TV Writers Guild 2022 Nominees for Daytime Drama

Writers Guild 2022 Nominees for Daytime Drama

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
9 months ago
replies
views
users
EmmyLoser
youngsoapfan
Derrick_Eogha..

• EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Congratulations to Days of our Lives, General Hospital and The Young and the Restless on their nominations in the Daytime Drama category at the 74th annual Writers Guild of America Awards!

We’ve come a long way from when GH was the only show nominated a couple of years ago now that we have three nominees. Michael Fairman notes in his article that the Bold and the Beautiful opted not to submit for this year’s awards. It’s also interesting that Amanda Beall is listed as the head writer for Y&R rather than Josh Griffith. Does anyone know if this is because of him going ficore during the writers strike way back when? Does the punishment for that end at some point?

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

For some reason the writer’s guild almost always chooses the wrong shows to honor with their awards. I prefer consistency over a single well-written show which is why I prefer our Goldies, which is for the whole year’s worth of work, to the Emmys or WGA, which has an episode or two for consideration. General Hospital was for me the only truly consistently well-written show of 2021 – some interesting episodes and storylines on the other shows, sure, but for consistency GH has been the best.

ReplyCopy URL

alokin
    Topics:

Congrats to all the nominees! Josh Griffith’s omission is quite bizarre. Interestingly, I noticed that James Harmon Brown and Michael Conforti (who were a part of last year’s Y&R writing team and who had also gone fi-core in the middle of the 2007-08 WGA strike) are likewise not credited. Fifteen years of being blacklisted feels like an unusually harsh punishment. I too wonder for how long this moratorium will continue to play itself out?

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Congratulations to DAYS on their WGA Award win! Hopefully this means that whatever they submitted to the Emmys this year is at least good enough to get them nominated (unlike last year). I have to say, I’m pretty surprised. I wonder what they submitted?

ReplyCopy URL

youngsoapfan
    Topics:

are you wondering what they submitted to not get them nominated last year at the emmy’s? or what they submitted to win the WGA??

I don’t know about last years emmy’s, but for WGA this year, he said he submitted 3 episodes, 1 Doug revealing to Marlena he was possessed, 2. the thanksgiving at Doug and Julie’s where possessed Marlena shows up, and 3. the christmas exorcism episode.

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

Thanks, youngsoapfan. I’m always curious about what these shows submit and which episodes were competing with what, and definitely still curious which episodes DAYS thought were good enough for Emmy competition last year but the judges rated non-Emmy-worthy, but I did specifically mean what they’d submitted for the WGA. That’s very interesting that they won with three possession episodes. Obviously they made the right choice, and that was the most exciting storyline they did last year.

ReplyCopy URL

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

A bit late but don’t know what DAYS submitted for WGA but congratulations to you! 👏 👏

ReplyCopy URL

youngsoapfan
    Topics:

A bit late but don’t know what DAYS submitted for WGA but congratulations to you! 👏 👏

Read my post 2 posts up, I wrote what they submitted up there, it was all possession material..svg” class=”emoji”

ReplyCopy URL

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Read my post 2 posts up, I wrote what they submitted up there, it was all possession material..svg” class=”emoji”

I’m surprised it won with those episodes.  I don’t think it’ll win the Emmys

ReplyCopy URL

EmmyLoser
    Topics:

I think a lot of people within the industry turned their noses up at the original possession storyline when it was happening, but I think part of that was just that it was being done by DAYS, a show that was being largely disrespected by the Emmys and the industry at that time. After all, it’s not like other hadn’t been trying outlandish things — freezing the planet, time travel, aliens. But I also think the attitude toward the original story has changed considerably in the years since it’s happened. Once DAYS became what it was in the later 90s, I think people gained a level of appreciation for Jim Reilly’s work that brought some reevaluation of the possession story. I’d also say that the story became a classic largely because it was so talked about and inspired other soaps to take huge leaps with outlandish stories, and most of them failed pretty badly, where the possession story had worked.

All that to say, it’s possible that the attitude toward the possession story could be one of people seeing it through a kinder lens and possibly even feeling they have an opportunity to reward something that maybe deserved more credit 25 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL

akh_cat
    Topics:

I think a lot of people within the industry turned their noses up at the original possession storyline when it was happening, but I think part of that was just that it was being done by DAYS, a show that was being largely disrespected by the Emmys and the industry at that time. After all, it’s not like other hadn’t been trying outlandish things — freezing the planet, time travel, aliens. But I also think the attitude toward the original story has changed considerably in the years since it’s happened. Once DAYS became what it was in the later 90s, I think people gained a level of appreciation for Jim Reilly’s work that brought some reevaluation of the possession story. I’d also say that the story became a classic largely because it was so talked about and inspired other soaps to take huge leaps with outlandish stories, and most of them failed pretty badly, where the possession story had worked. All that to say, it’s possible that the attitude toward the possession story could be one of people seeing it through a kinder lens and possibly even feeling they have an opportunity to reward something that maybe deserved more credit 25 years ago.

In the past 12 the Emmy has gone to B&B (2010, 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2020), Y&R (2011, 2014, 2017, 2019, and 2021) and Days (2012 and 2018). Idk if the voters too much care for the writing on GH, but I will admit that the writing was good last year. With that being said, I agree with everything you said. Maybe whomever was voting at the time couldn’t really get into Days submission and chose not to vote for it. I think it’ll be different this time around if Days got a nod this year. The recent possession storyline had a lot of funny lines and was very well written. With the episodes they picked to win the WGA they definitely deserved that win. Those episodes were great especially when Doug told Marlena that he was possessed. I was laughing my a$$ off at that episode. Marlena was so scared.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.