Home Forums Games! Let’s Play Games! Rank The Best Cinematography Winners Of The 2010s

Rank The Best Cinematography Winners Of The 2010s

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Magnus
iWantTheGold
Marcus.H
  • Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

You mean the Best Movie Consisting of a Gimmicky One-Take Tracking Shot award? Seriously, they need to quit letting the entire Academy vote on the technical awards if they aren’t even going to bother understanding what the artform actually is.

Rude, arrogant, and ignorant.

And sorry, both Birdman and 1917 won ASC awards so they could still win if they were voted by the branch. Maybe you, the master of art, should hold a lecture to these industry workers about what artform really is.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    iWantTheGold
    Topics:

Rude, arrogant, and ignorant.

And sorry, both Birdman and 1917 won ASC awards so they could still win if they were voted by the branch. Maybe you, the master of art, should hold a lecture to these industry workers about what artform really is.

A lot of work goes into planning and executing those kinds of shots, but artistically they pale in comparison to other work in their given year. Those movies sought to impress (Birdman had more of an excuse for its style than 1917 in my opinion… Inarritu’s follow-up the Revenant had zero excuse). I think the recent trend towards Directing and Cinematography awards going to the same film have unfortunately conflated the two roles with each other, and as a result Directing has been reduced to the photography and Cinematography has been reduced to the mis-en-scene. There’s a LOT more artistically involved in Directing, and mis-en-scene is typically the Director’s job, not the Cinematographer’s. Cinematography is way more about the lighting schemes and the film stock/f-stop/specific lens choices/printing process (though certain Directors probably control a lot of that too) – it’s the “look” that counts. Birdman and 1917’s respective “looks” were pretty fucking forgettable, in my opinion.

Re: my bigger point about the Technical Awards –

I guess that’s why Film Editing has been going to action pictures/music video movies for the better part of the past decade and a half. Movies ARE editing, the success of a movie lives and dies in the cutting room. Unless another Best Picture nominee is also a great film and accomplishes something unique with its structure/editing style, or the Best Picture in question is mostly comprised of one-shot “invisible editing” scenes (and even then you could argue the fact that they picked the best take is enough to justify it winning), the Best Film Editing movie should almost always be the Best Picture movie. Judging by the recent Directing, Cinematography, and Editing winners, I really wish they would just let the individual branches vote on who wins the awards. Maybe they’ll still award gimmicky crap like Birdman and 1917, but in general the winners would probably be better.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.