Home Forums Movies 1917 (Sam Mendes war movie)

1917 (Sam Mendes war movie)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
PJ Edwards
John Berchmans
  • JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Mendes ain’t beating Joon-Ho. Parasite will be rapturously received by Oscar voters, and his direction is the most praised aspect of the film. There’s no way it only wins International Film.

lol right and tHe fArEwElL hAs nO bUzZ

ReplyCopy URL
    thesmark88
    Participant
    Topics:

Mendes ain’t beating Joon-Ho. Parasite will be rapturously received by Oscar voters, and his direction is the most praised aspect of the film. There’s no way it only wins International Film.

Best Director has gone to the film with the most directing, or the biggest technical achievement for a while now. 1917 fits that to a T. I think Parasite could win director, but I think it might split voters between awarding it for directing or screenplay, whereas everybody’s interest in 1917 will be towards Best Director.

ReplyCopy URL
    Damiansport1
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m predicting 1917 to do really well over-the-line, probably winning Cinematography, Score, and Sound Editing, but not anything above the line like Picture or Director.

Except when films win cinematography, production design, both sounds and score which 1917 almost for sure will they rarely lose director. Mendes is a frontrunner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah. Cinematography and Directing usually go hand in hand. I think it’s Mendes to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Another day, more rave reactions for 1917. This from the guy who was mixed on Richard Jewell highlighting the difference in reactions between those two films.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok so Do You guys think “1917” can be a commercial success against $110 millions budget.

Now Mendes is no Nolan(Commercial Wise).

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

ReplyCopy URL
    John Berchmans
    Participant
    Topics:

Except when films win cinematography, production design, both sounds and score which 1917 almost for sure will they rarely lose director. Mendes is a frontrunner.

Tell that to Mad Max Fury Road. And it won’t “for sure” win all 5 of those awards. Things are still in flux.

Academy-Award winners:

Parasite: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay

Joker: Best Actor - Joaquin Phoenix

Jojo Rabbit: Best Adapted Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Victor Cruz
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok so Do You guys think “1917” can be a commercial success against $110 millions budget.

Now Mendes is no Nolan(Commercial Wise).

I saw it was tracking at 21 million for opening weekend which is not great. But it’ll probably overperform.

ReplyCopy URL
    JackO
    Participant
    Topics:

Tell that to Mad Max Fury Road. And it won’t “for sure” win all 5 of those awards. Things are still in flux.

Mad Max wasnt a WW1 film. It was a franchise genre film released in the summer. lol @ these random comparisons.

ReplyCopy URL
    FreemanGriffin
    Participant
    Topics:

I wasn’t interested in this movie until I saw the trailer where they showed the making of the movie – now I am excited about it. Unlike other years this year feels like we need more information on a few late movies before figuring out which one’s will win which category. I just watched a television show which had a 13 minute continuous take which was awesome (19-2’s series 2 episode 1 “School”, which was about a high school shooting) and I am really intrigued by the cinematic qualities in 1917 (:

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Mad Max wasnt a WW1 film. It was a franchise genre film released in the summer. lol @ these random comparisons.

But it also had George Miller and John Seale, Theron, won six of the Oscars they were nominated for and they were competitive for both Director and cinematography.
    And that Mad Max franchise is a genre unto it’s own. Imo no other series compares. It has it’s own uniquiness and a war of their own.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  teri.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It’s as good as advertised with all of the reactions this weekend. And I’m not a big fan of war-related movies. Mark it down for a whole bunch of Oscar nominations! Thomas Newman might finally win for score. Roger Deakins should be out front for another.

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s as good as advertised with all of the reactions this weekend. And I’m not a big fan of war-related movies. Mark it down for a whole bunch of Oscar nominations! Thomas Newman might finally win for score. Roger Deakins should be out front for another.

I’d be happy to see that for Thomas Newman! Iv e been posting his work for a week!

ReplyCopy URL
    babypook
    Participant
    Topics:

Another day, more rave reactions for 1917. This from the guy who was mixed on Richard Jewell highlighting the difference in reactions between those two films.

What do you think the odds are of Mendes defeating Joon-ho? He’s got some pluses in his favor, He’s been inconsistent and with the critical support and the timing it could be so glad you’re back win, irrespective of the chess moves behind the scenes. Plus that jaw dropping crew.
    I think the odds are still weighted in Joon-ho’s favour but suddenly there’s a serious contender.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hammad Asif
    Participant
    Topics:

And Just like that,IMAX screening for this movie is compulsory for me now.

Funfact:Sam Mendes can winning Best Picture and Best Director 20 yrs apart in the ending year of a decade.

1999 and 2019

Kubrick-Scorsese-Nolan-Coens-PTA-Fincher-Hitchock-Spike-Tarantino-Wes Anderson-Bong Joon-Ho

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.