Home Forums Movies 1917 (Sam Mendes war movie)

1917 (Sam Mendes war movie)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
teri
PJ Edwards
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

SPOILERS

Dean Charles Chapman should’ve gone supporting- it would’ve made for a good and very possible nomination and i wouldn’t consider it to be fraud at all

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    christopherg
    Topics:

I thought it was stunning.  I couldn’t get my head round how they actually pulled off making it – Mendes and Deakins are very deserving of second Oscars.  Not seen another film this year that had such an impact on me so feels like a Best Picture for me too, far more powerful that OUTIH and TI.

What do you think about Thomas Newman’s chances of Best Score with his 15th nomination?  Some of the music moments were just staggering, especially the Night Window moment and the big climatic moment at the end.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jason Travis
    Topics:

I’m shocked Thomas Newman lost the Globe to Joker‘s score. That was terrible.

Follow Me on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/jasonmovieguy
    13K Subscribers, 29 Million Views

FYC: Derbyite of the Year, 2017

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Thomas Newman absolutely deserves the Oscar for his score. If 1917 wins the big awards it will certainly win for it’s score as well.

I was so uncertain going into the movie theater to see 1917 – would I like it or not? It is one of the best films I have seen, such vivid direction, camera work, score, editing, production and a superb central performance by George MacKay! This is why I do not want movie theaters to go away – seeing this on a large screen with a large audience was part of the full experience of it!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I’m shocked Thomas Newman lost the Globe to Joker‘s score. That was terrible.

Seems like a spread the wealth thing to me. If he won, then 1917 would have gone 3/3. If he loses at BAFTA, then I’ll predict Joker. Nothing against Joker score but 1917’s is on a whole nother level.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

The Oscars like more sweeping scores, but the Globes sometimes like edgier fare, the most notable example being All is Lost over Gravity.  It can be hard to pinpoint which years they will fall either way.  There is another timeline in which Joker lost to 1917, but Phantom Thread beat The Shape of Water.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

This film sits worse with me the more that I think about it. It was too much of a video game. He spends most of the film running, stopping only to get information from one-off characters with information. Just like in a video game, he even sometimes seems to have no awareness of things that are happening just outside the camera angle! Like other parts of the film, I did not find that the score transcended and I posted elsewhere that I immediately switched to Joker after seeing this. Effective and an achievement for sure, but not memorable or groundbreaking like Hans Zimmer’s work on Dunkirk. What did floor me was the production design just because of the scale of the undertaking.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

My favourite film of the year (after JoJo Rabbit and Les Miserables). I am so glad I stuck to my gut and predicted Sam Mendes for Best Director at the Golden Globes. I SCREAMED when Hellen Mirren said his name.

I haven’t seen a huge reaction at a screening like this since Gravity and Life of Pi. The entire audience was absolutely dumbfounded and in awe.

Apart from the expert direction, the acting and emotional resonance is the shining star. That’s where the whole video game comparisons fall flat. This is a film that builds an incredible and surprising emotional crescendo like very few. At the end, you are in total awe of how all aspects of the production came together to create one sweeping brilliant movie.

I hope it sweeps the Oscars. Congrats on your much deserved second directing Oscar Mendes!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Repost from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I don’t like 1917 very much. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic technical achievement, and the Cinematography, Score, Sound, Editing, Visual Effects, and Production Design are all fantastic and Oscar worthy. George MacKay is also great, and I appreciate the direction Sam Mendes took the story and the achievement he was able to pull off (even though Parasite deserves to win Director more). But the story is extremely flimsy and falls apart if you think about it too much. If the message is so important, why didn’t they send an entire transport, or a tank, or just give to someone in an airplane to fly over, instead of just two people? Why did Skofield get shot and black out and then wake up a few hours later perfectly fine? Why did the troop transport right behind the house not come over when Blake was dying?

Speaking of which, the death happened way too early in the film and ruined one of my favorite aspects of the film: the bond between the two main leads. It would have been much better to see them complete the majority of the journey together and then Blake dies right before the end of the film, when he’s so close to his goal. That would give the death more emotional weight and dramatic value. Also, this film has great actors like Benedict Cumberbatch and Richard Madden and barely uses them. That’s almost as much of a crime as Justice League getting JK Simmons for 3 minutes of screentime.

But the absolute worst part of this film is that the marketing fucking butchered it. Not only did they set this up to be a super action-packed war film like Dunkirk, when in reality there’s very little action in the film (something that really bothered me on first viewing), but they also spoiled every single major plot beat in the trailers, including Blake’s death by showing so much of Skofield alone. I was able to predict the entire film after watching just the first trailer, and it killed all of the tension. I felt nothing for most of this movie. If the marketing wasn’t so awful I might have given this a whole extra star.

Final rating

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Simone
    Topics:

I’ve seen 1917 twice and I spaced the viewings by 4 weeks apart, just to make sure I wasn’t over evaluating the brilliance of this film. Well, upon my second viewing last week, I stand my ground, it is a cinematic achievement in film making. The “video game” analogies make me laugh and shows people’s youthful ages. I trust older voters don’t see 1917 as a video game. If Bong doesn’t win the BAFTA for Best Director, which I highly doubt, I predict that for the first time in a while, 1917 will win Best Picture and Best Director, and deservedly so. The splits between the two categories have become tiring and predictable in ‘spreading the wealth’ strategic voting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

Repost from the Unpopular Opinions thread.

I don’t like 1917 very much. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a fantastic technical achievement, and the Cinematography, Score, Sound, Editing, Visual Effects, and Production Design are all fantastic and Oscar worthy. George MacKay is also great, and I appreciate the direction Sam Mendes took the story and the achievement he was able to pull off (even though Parasite deserves to win Director more). But the story is extremely flimsy and falls apart if you think about it too much. If the message is so important, why didn’t they send an entire transport, or a tank, or just give to someone in an airplane to fly over, instead of just two people? Why did Skofield get shot and black out and then wake up a few hours later perfectly fine? Why did the troop transport right behind the house not come over when Blake was dying?

Speaking of which, the death happened way too early in the film and ruined one of my favorite aspects of the film: the bond between the two main leads. It would have been much better to see them complete the majority of the journey together and then Blake dies right before the end of the film, when he’s so close to his goal. That would give the death more emotional weight and dramatic value. Also, this film has great actors like Benedict Cumberbatch and Richard Madden and barely uses them. That’s almost as much of a crime as Justice League getting JK Simmons for 3 minutes of screentime.

But the absolute worst part of this film is that the marketing fucking butchered it. Not only did they set this up to be a super action-packed war film like Dunkirk, when in reality there’s very little action in the film (something that really bothered me on first viewing), but they also spoiled every single major plot beat in the trailers, including Blake’s death by showing so much of Skofield alone. I was able to predict the entire film after watching just the first trailer, and it killed all of the tension. I felt nothing for most of this movie. If the marketing wasn’t so awful I might have given this a whole extra star.

Final rating

While I’d probably give it a higher rating than you, I actually agree a lot with what you said. I’m glad to see I wasn’t alone as my partner and I also shared that sentiment.

If this had come out last year, I would’ve gladly supported it winning (even though THE FAVOURITE was my actual choice) but this year…PARASITE is just too good.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

The “video game” analogies make me laugh and shows people’s youthful ages.

How so?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

While I’d probably give it a higher rating than you, I actually agree a lot with what you said. I’m glad to see I wasn’t alone as my partner and I also shared that sentiment. If this had come out last year, I would’ve gladly supported it winning (even though THE FAVOURITE was my actual choice) but this year…PARASITE is just too good.

That’s something a lot of people don’t understand about film criticism. You can have the exact same opinions as someone else on a movie but still be less bothered than they are. I think a lot of people who saw 1917 seem to agree with flaws related to the story and characters, but were so swept up in the technical mastery of it all that they didn’t care. Kind of like how myself, as a huge Marvel fan, was able to go into Avengers Endgame and really enjoy it despite the messy plot, just because I wanted to see the finale for all of my favorite characters.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, this was the classiest movie of the frontrunners we’ve had this season. It better wins. You really need to be educated, dear citizens.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Monty
    Topics:

SPOILERS

Dean Charles Chapman should’ve gone supporting- it would’ve made for a good and very possible nomination and i wouldn’t consider it to be fraud at all

I am pretty happy with the current lineup. It is an epic one. We have Academy award winners from 5 consecutive years, 1990-1994.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.