Home Forums Movies 1937: Why wasn't Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs nominated for Best Picture?`

1937: Why wasn't Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs nominated for Best Picture?`

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
replies
views
users
MMartin
Eddy Q
babypook
  • Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

It was the first full-length cel animated film EVER.

It was the highest grossing film of the year.

For two years, it held the record for the highest grossing film EVER.

It’s considered to be an all-time classic.

And yet it wasn’t even nominated for Best Picture.

Why?

Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

From what I’ve gleaned it was felt at the time that NO one would want to sit through a feature-length animated movie.
    There was certainly no category for animation but what a trend Disney began!
    Genre bias is like an embryonic black hole.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

They also gave it an honorary oscar (a statue with 7 miniature oscars, get it???) so they probably thought that was good enough. Not sure if animation was considered “real” film at the time, but a different thing altogether.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

It definitely should have been, Fantasia and Pinnochio should have been nominated as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

It definitely should have been, Fantasia and Pinnochio should have been nominated as well.

And Dumbo and Bambi. First five Disneys still remain the best three quarters of a century later; nothing from the Disney Renaissance quite matches up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Probaly the honorary award felt enought for them. It was the beginning of the academy so they were still adjusting their rules and mediums of motion picture.

Didn’t they award Charlie Chaplin with a honorary award in the first ceremony ever for writing, producing, acting and directing The Circus all by himself and then cut him from the competitive categories so he wouldn’t sweep the awards? Feels the same for Snow White

Chromatica and Fetch the Bolt Cutters AOTYs yeah

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

And Dumbo and Bambi. First five Disneys still remain the best three quarters of a century later; nothing from the Disney Renaissance quite matches up.

Personally disagree their, I just watched Dumbo again before watching the Tim Burton version and thought it was just fine. Feels somewhat rushed at only 60 minutes, and the songs aren’t incredible. I would nominate Bambi in 42, Mrs. Miniver won that year and I don’t even like that film.

I love a lot of the Disney Renaissance films as well. The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid would all have been nominees (well Beauty was of course) in their respected years. Beauty and the Beast would have won over Silence of the Lambs.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Chimichanggas
    Topics:

Beauty and the Beast would have won over Silence of the Lambs.

Pathetic.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    MMartin
    Topics:

Pathetic.

Shrugs. I think Beauty and the Beast is a much better film. Its top notch filmmaking on pretty much every level. The score, the songwriting, the voice acting, the visuals, the retelling of a classic story, the character design. All flawless.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day would have also been nominated for Best Picture and won over Lambs for me (tho Beauty is still my top film for 1991). I believe that is one of the Top 5 best action films of all time.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

Personally disagree their, I just watched Dumbo again before watching the Tim Burton version and thought it was just fine. Feels somewhat rushed at only 60 minutes, and the songs aren’t incredible. I would nominate Bambi in 42, Mrs. Miniver won that year and I don’t even like that film.

I love a lot of the Disney Renaissance films as well. The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid would all have been nominees (well Beauty was of course) in their respected years. Beauty and the Beast would have won over Silence of the Lambs.

For me Dumbo is perfect at just over an hour. Stretching the story out any further and it could’ve collapsed. I just don’t think we’re used to shorter films any more, which is a shame. (Bambi is only about four or five minutes longer and manages to evoke a whole lifetime.) I love the economy and simplicity of Dumbo, which was the least expensive film Disney had made at that point after Pinocchio and Fantasia flopped, yet the animation is still so inspired, and the Dalí-influenced ‘Pink Elephants’ sequence might be the finest set-piece in a Disney film ever.

I’ll be honest (and I know this is an unpopular opinion), but I find Beauty and the Beast a tad overrated. I like it fine, and it wholly succeeds as a musical, but there are a few uninspired moments (just compare the rather banal forest flight scene with that in Snow White!) and the character design and voice work of the Beast I find less interesting than the other castle characters – though on a purely technical level the animation is never less than dazzling. Why is this one the only traditional Disney animation to be nominated for Best Picture over superior work before and even since, namely Aladdin?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.