Home Forums Movies 1961 Best Lead Actress

1961 Best Lead Actress

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
JayDF
ENGLAND
ArtIsntEasy
  • Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

Nominees-

Elizabeth Taylor – Butterfly 8 – Winner

Shirley MacLaine – The Apartment (Golden Globe winner)

Greer Garson – Sunrise at Campobello

Deborah Kerr – The Sundowners

Melina Mercouri – Never on sunday

Everyone knows Liz Taylor won Bc of her health issues. Even she didn’t consider that she deserved it. But apart from that. Who do you considered to be front runner and who deserved it.

I have never her of Melina or that movie

Profile picture
    ArtIsntEasy
    Topics:

This should’ve easily been Shirley MacLaine.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen the other contenders but I don’t remember any particular distaste for them aside from Taylor as she and the film were quite weak.

“The art of making art is putting it together...”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

1. Shirley MacLaine, THE APARTMENT
    2. Deborah Kerr, THE SUNDOWNERS
    3. Melina Mercouri, NEVER ON SUNDAY
    4. Greer Garson, SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO
    5. Elizabeth Taylor, BUTTERFIELD 8

None of them are bad IMO. Taylor is interesting plus she has her usual undeniable star quality, even if the film as a whole is awful. Garson usually bores me to tears, but this is her best work I think. Mercouri is an acquired taste. MacLaine & Kerr are the only ones I really liked though. Jean Simmons was robbed of a nom for ELMER GANTRY for sure, my personal list would include her as my winner then my noms would be MacLaine, Wendy Hiller in “Sons and Lovers”, Judy Holliday in “Bells Are Ringing” & Sophia Loren in “Two Women” since I don’t have that Los Angeles showing for a week rule.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by JayDF.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by JayDF.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

Claudia McNeal was snubbed here for A Raisin In The Sun. She was nominated for the Golden Globe and BAFTA but was horribly snubbed for the Oscar. She would have been a great winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Owl-Always-watching
    Topics:

I would think Deborah Kerr was close. Since it was her Sixth nomination within certain number of years. And wouldn’t have been a bad winner,

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sam_Malone
    Topics:

In retrospect, MacLaine said that she lost the Oscar to a masectomy. In addition, at the time she proposed that all but Taylor should drop out of the competition so that she can win unanimously. Obviously, MacLaine was bitter as she thought that based on merit, she was the winner.

MacLaine is very good in her film and she would have made a worthy winner. However, I think this would have been Kerr’s year (if there hadn’t been Taylor). Kerr was on her sixth nomination and the overdue narrative would have probably carried her to a win.

Mercouri is fun. I have recently re-watched her movie and I love the physical look of it and the general atmosphere as well. However, I’ve always considered her overrated in the picture and that sentiment hasn’t changed.

Garson I usually like but I detest her in Sunrise. She’s overacting and overdoes the sing-song voice of the first lady. I suppose she could have also been a contender for the win for sentimental reasons. However, her movie didn’t score as well as people expected.

Taylor is fine and not half as bad as people (and herself) make her out to be.

My line-up:

01. Sophia Loren in La Ciociara [Two Women]

02. Brigitte Bardot in La Vérité [The Truth]

03. Deborah Kerr in The Sundowners

04. Dorothy McGuire in The Dark at the Top of the Stairs

05. Shirley MacLaine in The Apartment

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

Claudia McNeal was snubbed here for A Raisin In The Sun. She was nominated for the Golden Globe and BAFTA but was horribly snubbed for the Oscar. She would have been a great winner.

The title of this thread says 1961 in reference to the year the awards were given instead of eligibility. So Claudia McNeil would be the following year. Also you are right, she should have been nominated!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ENGLAND
    Topics:

The title of this thread says 1961 in reference to the year the awards were given instead of eligibility. So Claudia McNeil would be the following year. Also you are right, she should have been nominated!!!

Oh okay! Yes, 1961 was Sophia Loren’s GROUNDBREAKING win!

Out of the nominees, Deborah of course.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

1. Shirley MacLaine, THE APARTMENT
    2. Deborah Kerr, THE SUNDOWNERS
    3. Melina Mercouri, NEVER ON SUNDAY
    4. Greer Garson, SUNRISE AT CAMPOBELLO
    5. Elizabeth Taylor, BUTTERFIELD 8

None of them are bad IMO. Taylor is interesting plus she has her usual undeniable star quality, even if the film as a whole is awful. Garson usually bores me to tears, but this is her best work I think. Mercouri is an acquired taste. MacLaine & Kerr are the only ones I really liked though. Jean Simmons was robbed of a nom for ELMER GANTRY for sure, my personal list would include her as my winner then my noms would be MacLaine, Wendy Hiller in “Sons and Lovers”, Judy Holliday in “Bells Are Ringing” & Sophia Loren in “Two Women” since I don’t have that Los Angeles showing for a week rule.

This.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
    Philip K Dick Blade Runner

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.